You are not logged in.

#1 2012-11-01 18:01:03

Sarai

[SOLVED] can't update system because nouveau and nvidia conflicting?

Hi folks-

I am trying to update and am getting an error message that I'm not sure how to resolve.

[sarai@arch ~]$ sudo pacman -Syu
[sudo] password for sarai: 
:: Synchronizing package databases...
 core is up to date
 extra                   1424.6 KiB   846K/s 00:02 [######################] 100%
 community               1777.4 KiB   998K/s 00:02 [######################] 100%
 multilib                  90.8 KiB   187K/s 00:00 [######################] 100%
:: Starting full system upgrade...
:: Replace python-egenix-mx-base with extra/python2-egenix-mx-base? [Y/n] y
:: Replace python-logilab-astng with extra/python2-logilab-astng? [Y/n] y
:: Replace python-logilab-common with extra/python2-logilab-common? [Y/n] y
resolving dependencies...
looking for inter-conflicts...
warning: removing 'libgl' from target list because it conflicts with 'nvidia-utils'
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: nouveau-dri: requires libgl=9.0

A little bit aggravating, it kindly removes libgl from the list because of a conflict then fails out because it's required.
I used nouveau as my graphics driver for a year or two when I first set up this system, but it started giving me weird slowdowns and errors so I tried switching to the proprietary drivers (I know, shame shame) which fixed it. I'm not surprised that they're not compatible, but when I tried to figure out how to remove nouveau I see that it is built into the kernel? I followed the directions as explicitly as possible when installing nvidia so I'm not sure where I went wrong.
Right now, I can't upgrade and I would really like to avoid the pitfall of just blacklisting nouveau-dri. I'd rather invest the work into actually fixing the problem.
I would appreciate any advice.

Last edited by Sarai (2012-11-01 23:07:44)

#2 2012-11-01 18:18:48

alphaniner

Re: [SOLVED] can't update system because nouveau and nvidia conflicting?

As I understand it, the built in aspect of nouveau is not suitable for running X.  The package xf86-video-nouveau is required in that case.  Remove the nouveau packages and (if necessary) blacklist nouveau.

Last edited by alphaniner (2012-11-01 18:20:19)

But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist.
-Lysander Spooner

#3 2012-11-01 22:50:26

karol
Archivist

IIRC since version 1.0.2-2 xf86-video-nouveau depends on nouveau-dri which in turn depends on libgl which conflicts with nvidia because Nvidia provides their own libgl implementation.

This might help: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Nv … au_drivers

#4 2012-11-01 23:07:26

Sarai

karol wrote:

IIRC since version 1.0.2-2 xf86-video-nouveau depends on nouveau-dri which in turn depends on libgl which conflicts with nvidia because Nvidia provides their own libgl implementation.

This might help: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Nv … au_drivers

Thank you, that was quite helpful. The script to switch from nouveau to nvidia includes the line to remove the packages libgl, nouveau-dri, and xf86-video-nouveau. I tried running just that line and it failed out because nouveau-dri and libgl aren't actually installed. How irritating! However, I was able to remove xf86-video-nouveau, and after that pacman has gotten past the dependency check and is installing packages so I think this is fixed.
Big kudos for all the help, marking this solved.

#5 2012-11-09 09:13:14

jan_goyvaerts

Same from me - dropped the nouveau packages and it worked ! :-)

Board footer