You are not logged in.

#1 2005-10-17 05:10:19

ckl_88

How do you print photos (software question)?

Hi all,

I've been using Arch for the past couple of months. I'm a long time windows user and would like to get away from Microsoft stuff. I've pretty much found all the replacement software that I normally use and I'm pretty happy with the system. However, I've found that there are little to no software to help me print to my Canon photoprinter! In fact, I'm a little surprised at this because if Linux is going to replace/compete with Windows as a desktop replacement, this area of digital photography needs to be addressed.

Anyway, the software I used was called PhotoRecord. It was a great app because it automatically resized and repositioned my pictures to fit any size paper and print borderless as well. So if you had a combination of portrait and landscape photos and you chose 4 pictures to print on a Letter size paper, it would automatically rotate and resize the pictures to fit and print it borderlessly. All in about 5 seconds.

The closest thing I've found is Gnome Photo Printer... but it doesn't work that great. I've also installed Wine and tried to install PhotoRecord but it dies when I try to run it. I've also tried other Windows photo printing software too but they also die when executed.

I've tried what other Linux users use including OpenOffice Draw and GIMP, but manually resizing and rotating is a pain in the arse.

So my question is what kind of photo printing software do you use for Arch or Linux in general? Anyone use any Windows apps under Wine that work?

Thanks.

#2 2005-10-17 06:00:47

colnago

Re: How do you print photos (software question)?

I have a business card program under wine that works fine.  Printing from wine has never been a problem for me.

My problem has been the zero support canon provides for my i350 printer.  The only driver I have seen is the ($) turboprint one.  It cost as much as my printer did, thanks.

Maybe ndiswrapper is something I should look at.

Anyway, I have just been printing from digikam with ok results once i got the settings right.  For the i350, it is fine if I just change the paper size, but don't change the orientation or the strech-to-fit option in the printer settings.

#3 2005-10-17 19:01:29

ckl_88

Not sure if the i250 is similar to the i350, but the linux drivers are available here for the i250:
[url]http://www.canon.com.au/products/printe … ivers.html
[/url]

Oh, I forgot to mention in my previous post that I have a Canon S820 printer. USB.

#4 2005-10-18 18:20:08

whompus

I have an i965 and paid for TurboPrint which I've been using for about 18 months with no major problems. There is a free edition on the website to test your printers features to at least try before you buy.

http://www.turboprint.de/english.html

#5 2005-10-18 20:20:57

mezoko
Website

colnago wrote:

I have a business card program under wine that works fine.  Printing from wine has never been a problem for me.

My problem has been the zero support canon provides for my i350 printer.  The only driver I have seen is the ($) turboprint one.  It cost as much as my printer did, thanks.

Maybe ndiswrapper is something I should look at.

Anyway, I have just been printing from digikam with ok results once i got the settings right.  For the i350, it is fine if I just change the paper size, but don't change the orientation or the strech-to-fit option in the printer settings.

Don't try ndiswrapper it a tool for wireless cards not printer but I know what you mean I have a canon i450 I use the bjc7004 driver it works ok.

"The only thing we have to fear is fear itself." - Franklin D. Roosevelt

Board footer