You are not logged in.

#1 2012-11-11 01:35:07

ClaudioP

Problematic Xorg setup

Hi all. I got an external HDD running Arch which i mostly use at the school (as a way to escape from the bloatware/spyware/bull**tware that are in the classroom computers and having my own things with me). As it runs in different hardware every time that i plug it, it has the full Xorg/Mesa package (xf86-vid*).
But as sometimes i also use it at home(too lazy to sync everything every day), i would like to have the proprietary driver for my graphic card (nvidia), because Nouveau charges too much the cpu and has a poor performance.(It's not even a mid-end computer)

I went to #archlinux in hope that someone can help me to solve the libgl / nvidia-utils conflict without removing none of them nor forcing anything, and a friendly user suggested bumblebee. Since i don't need bumblebee, but i need to know how to make the drivers coexist i accepted the answer and went to the AUR to see what i can find.
I found the package nvidia-utils-bumblebee which says: "NVIDIA drivers utilities and libraries. With LibGL and xorg modules installed in a different directory."
Brilliant, that what i need! When i installed the bumblebee driver, i ran nvidia-xconfig and then rebooted.

It didn't worked at all, and now i feel that the computer is even heavier. Just to write this text, the cpu is balancing between 30 and 40%.
The graphics are being recognized by gnome as: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 0x301)

Here is a copy of the full Xorg.0.log: http://pastebin.com/hTkiUKtS
Most of it, is just the normal stuff, but i found some things that sound wrong like for example:

Failed to initialize the GLX module; please check in your X log file that the GLX module has been loaded in your X server, and that the module is the NVIDIA GLX module.  If you continue to encounter problems, Please try reinstalling the NVIDIA driver.

The only solutions that i found, are not applicable for arch.

Thanks for your time

Ahh... stuff

#2 2012-11-11 14:37:53

ClaudioP

Re: Problematic Xorg setup

After reading the Nvidia wiki page step by step, i saw the "Switching between nvidia and nouveau drivers", and i adapted the script for what i want.

sed -i 's/options nouveau modeset=1/#options nouveau modeset=1/' /etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.conf
sed -i 's/MODULES="nouveau"/#MODULES="nouveau"/' /etc/mkinitcpio.conf
pacman -Rdds nouveau-dri xf86-video-nouveau
#rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/{10-monitor,20-nouveau}.conf
mkinitcpio -p linux

The nouveau is not there any more, but it is still working on llvmpipe.
I went to the Nvidia GUI to see if i can find anything useful, and i found something strange. The output of glxinfo is:

OpenGL vendor string: VMware, Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 0x301)
OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 9.0
OpenGL shading language version string: 1.20

Why is Xorg defaulting to VMware instead of Nvidia's driver?

Ahh... stuff

#3 2012-11-11 14:51:26

Gusar

ClaudioP wrote:

Why is Xorg defaulting to VMware instead of Nvidia's driver?

It isn't. the VMware guys wrote llvmpipe, that's why their name is there.

As for your general problem, bumblebee is not the answer. Bumblebee was written specifically for Optimus, not for what you want. What you want is an Arch equivalent of Gentoo's "eselect opengl". Search the forums, you'll find some info about that.

#4 2012-12-09 08:40:06

justforgetme
Website

@Claudio

Did you manage to fix your problem? I am on a similar boat, I'm trying to get the gpus on a Macbook pro 2012 working (intel HD4000 nvidia M650) but even though drivers are installed and modules load I'm still only getting llvmpipe in gnome...

:-(

$> man life
No manual entry for `life'

$> nvm...

#5 2012-12-12 10:26:21

bernarcher
Forum Fellow

ClaudioP, the moderators got this message from you:

In your case i think that you should use bumblebee, because you want to use one at the time.
In my case, i found this: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=92530

Just in case you wonder, you inadvertently hit the "Report" button.

To know or not to know ...
... the questions remain forever.

#6 2012-12-13 17:18:43

ClaudioP

bernarcher wrote:

ClaudioP, the moderators got this message from you:

In your case i think that you should use bumblebee, because you want to use one at the time.
In my case, i found this: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=92530

Just in case you wonder, you inadvertently hit the "Report" button.

I wanted to quote, not to report anything, sorry sad

Ahh... stuff

Board footer