You are not logged in.

#1 2012-11-10 14:45:31

gauthma
Website

[Solved] That bad floppy ... that didn't exist.

My systems's harddrive is encrypted with LUKS. On booting, after asking for the decryption password, it would freeze for a couple of seconds, and then display an error message like this:

end_request: I/O error, dev fd0, sector 0

Now, I don't have a floppy device, and after some googling I discovered that the solution is to simply blacklist the "floppy" module, which I promptly attempted, to no avail. I tried blacklisting it in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf writing "blacklist floppy", there, re-generating initramfs (mkinitcpio -p linux), and rebooting the machine. When that didn't work, I tried blacklisting it in the same file as "install floppy /bin/false", and repeated the above procedure. It also didn't work. Having ran out of options, I disabled the floppy in the BIOS, and all the error messages were gone.

So I did solve my problem, but I was (and am) curious about why the blacklisting failed. The module does not have any dependencies (I can do "modprobe -r" and it gets removed). Ideas anyone?

Last edited by gauthma (2012-11-11 15:50:30)

#2 2012-11-10 14:58:30

65kid

Re: [Solved] That bad floppy ... that didn't exist.

Assuming that the floppy module is already loaded in initramfs, you would have had to add the blacklist file to FILES in /etc/mkinitcpio.conf and then rebuild your initramfs.

#3 2012-11-11 15:50:13

gauthma
Website

Re: [Solved] That bad floppy ... that didn't exist.

That was it! I updated the wiki and will mark this as solved.

Board footer