You are not logged in.

#1 2012-11-11 08:14:46

tommytomatoe

[Solved] KDE Leave Menu - cutoff and only Logout

Hey there,

SHORT: Upgraded KDE 4.9.2 to 4.9.3, uninstalled console-kit.
RESULT: Lost Poweroff/restart options for Leave menu
SOLVED: Read the thread or scroll to bottom of OP

Prior to tonight, the KDE "Leave" menu worked as it should. I had the option to restart, shutdown, lock screen, and logoff. But after a pacman -Syu, I no longer have those options. Instead, I only have the Logout option and the dialog box is also cutoff.

I checked in Session management and the "Offer shutdown options" box is checked. Does anyone know what the verdict could be? A google search did not bring up any good results.

Thank you for any help.

For reference, here is the screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/bYFkl.jpg

I start the session via startx.

Tommy

Edit. To see whether it was an issue with my kde config files, I started the session via root and same issue. I created another user as well and as expected same.

Edit #2. Logging in via KDM results in the same issue.

Edit #3. Solved. I determined there are two options to using KDE and also having the reboot/shutdown menu. Please correct me otherwise.

1. Use KDM login manager, no consolekit required
2. Use startx (.xintrc), with consolekit installed.

Both methods worked for me to resolve the issue. Now we have this: http://wstaw.org/m/2012/11/12/plasma-desktopxoR656.png

However, ideally I would like to go back to using startx WITHOUT requiring console-kit, but for now I am pleased. Thanks!

Last edited by tommytomatoe (2012-11-11 23:40:16)

#2 2012-11-11 10:13:16

arojas
Developer

Re: [Solved] KDE Leave Menu - cutoff and only Logout

Have you fully migrated to systemd?

#3 2012-11-11 15:25:30

tommytomatoe

Yes it is a full systemd install. What is interesting is that it worked before but doesnt work now. There must have been a package upgraded that is incompatible/broke with my setup. I was hoping someone in the know with kde knew what it might be, I'll continue tracking the bugs on their site

#4 2012-11-11 15:45:36

bgc1954

A forum search might point you here: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=147388

and here: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=152610 and there are a few others.  Hope these point you in the right direction.

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ... - Louis Hector Berlioz

#5 2012-11-11 16:18:20

tommytomatoe

bgc1954 wrote:

A forum search might point you here: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=147388

and here: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=152610 and there are a few others.  Hope these point you in the right direction.

Thank you for the links, but those were the very ones that I found, along with a couple others. The first thing I did when I installed kde was modify the /usr/share/config/kdm/kdmrc to reflect systemd poweroff/reboot commands. It has worked as it should until last night.

Another attempt at fixing this I decided was to back up my .kde4 directory and start anew. Still the same!

I may just resort to using lancelot. In its "leave" menu there is a proper shutdown command. It is absent however in Kickoff as well as the dialog as demonstrated in the picture in the op.

Thanks for the help though :-)

#6 2012-11-11 16:31:34

bgc1954

Perhaps check the end of your /var/log/pacman.log to see what the last packages updated were.  More help may be forthcoming with a little more info.

What is the contents of your .xinitrc?  Funny though, most people are reporting that using kdm solved their shutdown situations but you said you tried that.

Last edited by bgc1954 (2012-11-11 16:33:32)

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ... - Louis Hector Berlioz

#7 2012-11-11 21:30:58

tommytomatoe

bgc1954 wrote:

Perhaps check the end of your /var/log/pacman.log to see what the last  packages updated were.  More help may be forthcoming with a little more info.

What is the contents of your .xinitrc?  Funny though, most people are reporting that using kdm solved their shutdown situations but you said you tried that.

It is simply:

exec startkde

All the kde packages went from 4.9.2-1 -> 4.9.3-1. There were over a hundred of them. I checked the pacman.log like you suggested and that is confirmed. Some other noticeable changes are the kernel upgraded, 3.6.5-1 -> 3.6.6-1.

Here is a list of removed packages I did before I upgraded: http://paste.kde.org/604202/

Things worked fine before I removed those packages and upgraded. Most of those removed were just dead dependencies or packages that I don't use anymore.

My guess is that kde 4.9.3-1 has some changes to cause this issue.

If there is any more information I can provide I will be happy to. I have just recently gone back to KDE, as it was recommended by a friend of mine. Last time I used it was KDE 3.5, which I did not personally care for. So far 4.9 seems to be a pretty mature product. I just wished I knew what I did to break the shutdown options. Thanks again.

#8 2012-11-11 21:36:11

tommytomatoe

Like you said other users report logging in with KDM works, but I've tried that and it is no go.

Here is a bug report: https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/32371

EDIT: Ah hah! It was consolekit. I reinstalled consolekit and all is well. Interesting, since consolekit is no longer required. So the issue is kind of solved, but I'd like to know why exactly.

Last edited by tommytomatoe (2012-11-11 21:39:56)

#9 2012-11-11 22:09:16

tomasabril

Reinstalling consolekit made it work again? Interesting.
Are you sure you are using systemd? type the command loginctl and see what appears. Also use loginctl show-session $XDG_SESSION_ID
mine look like this:

[tomas@tomas-arch-hp ~]$ loginctl
   SESSION        UID USER             SEAT            
         1       1000 tomas            seat0           

1 sessions listed.
[tomas@tomas-arch-hp ~]$ loginctl show-session $XDG_SESSION_ID
Id=1
Timestamp=Sun, 2012-11-11 19:00:07 BRST
TimestampMonotonic=138867906
DefaultControlGroup=name=systemd:/user/tomas/1
VTNr=7
Display=:0
Remote=no
Service=kde
Leader=244
Audit=1
Type=x11
Class=user
Active=yes
State=active
KillProcesses=no
IdleHint=no
IdleSinceHint=0
IdleSinceHintMonotonic=0
Name=tomas
[tomas@tomas-arch-hp ~]$ 

Note that im using systemd 195-2, linux 3.6.6-1, all kde stuff still version 4.9.2 and consolekit is not installed.

#10 2012-11-11 23:21:19

tommytomatoe

Tomas,

thanks for the input but I've been using systemd for some time now. In September I spent a couple days really learning the service-files system, and finally got it down pretty good. The biggest discovery for me was executing a program BEFORE drives were unmounted on halt or reboot. A script that I run requires /dev/sdb1 to be mounted. But since things happen in parallel more or less, those devices were being unmounted before/during the script could finish.  If you're interested in the necessary configuration I will be happy to post what I did.

I am perplexed as well why consolekit is required for it to work. You're on KDE 4.9.2? Version 4.9.2 worked fine for me. It was when I upgraded to 4.9.3 last night that things went south. If/when you upgrade to kde 4.9.3 please report your findings.

Do you log in via KDM or do you use .xinitrc?

here is my output to loginctl to show I am using systemd:

[tommy@p150hm ~]$ loginctl 
   SESSION        UID USER             SEAT            
         1       1000 tommy            seat0           

1 sessions listed.
[tommy@p150hm ~]$ loginctl show-session $XDG_SESSION_ID
Id=1
Timestamp=Sun, 2012-11-11 16:59:47 EST
TimestampMonotonic=41206710
DefaultControlGroup=name=systemd:/user/tommy/1
VTNr=1
TTY=tty1
Remote=no
Service=login
Leader=431
Audit=1
Type=tty
Class=user
Active=yes
State=active
KillProcesses=no
IdleHint=yes
IdleSinceHint=1352671188645120
IdleSinceHintMonotonic=0
Name=tommy
[tommy@p150hm ~]$ 

Last edited by tommytomatoe (2012-11-11 23:28:38)

#11 2012-11-11 23:36:13

tommytomatoe

Ok, I guess I can officially call this issue "solved".

I re-uninstalled consolekit. As expected, I lost the shutdown and restart options. I enabled KDM and voila. So in order to have the reboot/shutdown options, it appears that one of two options can be used:

1. Use startx (.xintrc) with consolekit installed
2. Use kdm login manager, consolekit not required

I guess for now I will use kdm, since option #1 requires using a non-supported package. I am not completely against a graphical login manager, but I've been so accustomed to be greeted by tty.

Thanks again everyone for your ideas and suggestions.

#12 2012-11-12 00:39:07

tomasabril

Im using kdm to login.
Thanks tommytomatoe, now i know that when i update in a few days — as long as I keep using kdm — all will be well with no need of consolekit.

#13 2012-11-12 18:41:53

bgc1954

Just curious @tommytomatoe, do you ever clear out your pacman pkg cache or are you using some old mirror because consolekit isn't even in the repos anymore?

#14 2012-11-16 04:45:22

tommytomatoe

bgc1954 wrote:

Just curious @tommytomatoe, do you ever clear out your pacman pkg cache or are you using some old mirror because consolekit isn't even in the repos anymore?

Thanks for asking. All my mirrors are up to date and I do pacman maintenance about twice a month. It had been a couple weeks since I updated anything, and when I did update consolekit was removed as was announced. During this "kde shutdown menu situation", I reinstalled the consolekit via the package in the AUR since it is no longer in the official repos. I went ahead and removed it again and am now just using kdm.

But all is well. I just use KDM. On days when I don't need the whole desktop environment I just switch tty or hit alt+n to get out of kdm.

Board footer