You are not logged in.

#1 2012-11-12 02:00:58

ciferkey

Macbook Pro 8,2 EFI_STUB loading with rEFInd Failing

Hello fellow Arch users, I've been struggling with trying to get Arch running on my Macbook Pro 8,2 (Early 2011) for the past couple of days and I was hoping that the collective intelligence of the community might be able to help me. I feel that the combination of recent changes in the installation medium, using a Macbook, and my hardware modifications have all converged to make it hard to diagnose what is wrong.  First off for hardware I have:

Processor: Core i7 (I7-2820QM)
Integrated Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 3000
Dedicated Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1024 MB
Ram: 16G (8Gx2) 1333 MHz
Internal Harddrive: 1Tb WDC WD10TPVT-00HT5T1
Internal Harddrive (in optical drive spot with an OWC Data Doubler): 128Gb APPLE SSD TS128C

I have the SSD setup with only OSX and I planned on installing Arch to the HHD and using rEFInd to boot everything with EFI_STUB.  Initially started by trying to install from an external source, but was unable to do so.  In the past I had attempted to install windows 7 from an external CD drive only to learn that it is essentially imposible (it would appear to firmware constraint as the Macbook Airs and rMacbook Pros as able to) and I wonder if the same constraint applies for linux live CDs.  I tried the "Remove UEFI boot support from ISO" from the UEFI page as well and that did not help.  Oddly enough I also was unable to get any usb medium to work as well (both the regular install disk and Archboot, the "Create UEFI bootable USB from ISO" method of the UEFI page) even though it seems that many others have successfully gotten this to work and it should not be affected by my modifications.

At this point I removed the SSD from inside and replaced it with the original super drive.  rEFInd will not boot it through efi, but will boot it through BIOS emulation (the partition is listed as windows in rEFInd).  From there I followed the standard insertion procedure to get Arch installed (following UEFI_Bootloaders#Linux_Kernel_EFISTUB, Unified_Extensible_Firmware_Interface#Create_an_UEFI_System_Partition_in_Linux and MacBook_Pro_8,1_/_8,2_/_8,3_(2011_Macbook_Pro):

$ cgdisk /dev/sda
    512M partition of type EF00, name efi
    the rest default type (linux), name root
$ mkfs.vfat -F32 /dev/sda1
$ mkfs.ext4 /dev/sda2
$ mount /dev/sda2 /mnt
$ mkdir /mnt/boot/efi
$ mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/boot/efi
$ mkdir /mnt/boot/efi/EFI/arch/
$ pacstrap /mnt base{,-devel}
$ genfstab -p /mnt >> /mnt/etc/fstab
$ arch-chroot /mnt
$ nano /etc/mkinitcpio.conf
    MODULES="..ahci libahci.."  #The Macbook page recommends this and I tried it with sd_mod as well based off some previous forum posts.
$ mkinitcpio -p linux
$ cp /boot/vmlinuz-linux /boot/efi/EFI/arch/vmlinuz-arch.efi
$ cp /boot/initramfs-linux.img /boot/efi/EFI/arch/initramfs-arch.img
$ cp /boot/initramfs-linux-fallback.img to /boot/efi/EFI/arch/initramfs-arch-fallback.img
# create /boot/efi/EFI/arch/refind_linux.conf as instructed with the UUID of sda2
$ echo “archy” >> /etc/hostname
$ ln -s /usr/share/zoneinfo/America/New_York /etc/localtime
$ echo “America/New_York” >> /etc/timezone
$ vi /etc/locale.gen
    /#en_US and uncomment
$ locale-gen
$ hwclock --systohc --utc
$ echo “KEYMAP=us” >> /etc/vconsole.conf
$ passwd root
$ exit
$ umount /mnt/boot/efi
$ umount /mnt
$ reboot

When I reboot rEFInd does not show the arch partition, but if I boot holding option to bring up the built in partition selection and select the efi partition, rEFInd loads showing the arch linux partition.  At this point it loads and gets stuck displaying:

Error: device '' not found.  Skipping fsck
Error: Unable to find root device ''.
You are being dropped to a recovery shell
    Type 'exit' to try and continue booting
sh: cant access tty; job control turned off
[rootfs /]#

I've tried mounting /dev/sda and I simply presents the same error again.

I can confirm the default kernel has EFI_STUB enable as:
$ zcat /proc/config.gz | grep EFI_STUB
displays:
CONFIG_EFI_STUB=y

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I have refined installed on the SSD with OSX and most guides have it installed on the EFI partition with Arch.  Is there a different approach I should be taking to set this up with two disks? Thanks.

#2 2012-11-12 02:37:08

bsilbaugh

Re: Macbook Pro 8,2 EFI_STUB loading with rEFInd Failing

Unfortunately, Apple uses custom firmware that conforms to neither EFI nor UEFI. Naturally, this makes life difficult for us GNU/Linux users. I would like to think they have well founded, technical reasons for this, but I fear that the incompatibilities are motivated more by a desire for "vendor lock in". But, I digress...

The one thing that I wanted to verify is that you installed rEFInd using the OS X utility "bless", as opposed to the linux utility efibootmgr. Use of the latter can, in the worst case, brick your firmware. If you used the install script that comes packaged with rEFInd, and executed it from OS X, then it should have done the right/safe thing.

- Good judgement comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgement. -- Mark Twain
- There's a remedy for everything but death. -- The wise fool, Sancho Panza
- The purpose of a system is what it does. -- Anthony Stafford Beer

#3 2012-11-12 03:02:31

WonderWoofy

But bsilbaugh, if the OP got to the point where it says that it cannot find the root filesystem, I would assume that means that it actually did load the intramfs.  Now I am not at all sure why rEFInd is able to scan for *.efi stuffs when you launch it from apple's launcher and not when it boots on its own, but your problem with the rootfs not found means taht you are nearly there.

OP, did you check to see what was actually written to the fstab?  It is probably a good diea to confirm what is actually there.  I actually tend to have to change something or another the couple of times i have used genfstab.  If for nothing else, to at least change the pass values that are always wrong (though this should have no bearing on whether or not you can boot, just how the initramfs fscks your partitions).  Also, there could be an issue with the UUID. I have started to apply labels to all my filesystems for the human readability.  That way I can simply use root=LABEL=<rootfs> and all is well.  The other possible issue is that the initramfs has not loaded the necessary modules to actually recognize your hard drive.  If you stuck with the default initramfs, it should be okay though.  I have seen some issues of late where having the pata modules in the initramfs have caused issues.  So you may want to take out the scsi and pata hooks and redo the mkinitcpio step. 

Have you tried booting from the fallback initramfs though?  The only difference between the regualr one and hte fallback (besides the size and therefore load time), is that it does not include the autodetect hook, so rather than pruning out modules you don't need, it just includes everything as detected by udev.

#4 2012-11-12 03:10:25

ciferkey

bsilbaugh: Correct, I installed rEFInd on OS X and used the script it included.
WonderWoofy: When partitioning I gave the partions the labels 'efi' and 'root'.  I'll see if I can post my old fstab, then change it to use the labels and see how that works.  Also I had read that the -L flag was supposed to make genfstab use labels, but it did not change anything for me.  If that does not work when I wil try changing the hooks in mkinitcpio.  Also, how do I select the fallback with EFI stub?  My prior experience has been with grub so far.

Last edited by ciferkey (2012-11-12 03:21:48)

#5 2012-11-12 03:45:29

WonderWoofy

Really you are selecting the fallback using rEFInd.  So think of it this way.  Typically a bootloader (like grub or lilo or syslinux) is two things.  It lets you select what you want to boot, and then actually boots the kernel.  REFInd on the other hand, is only the selctor part, while the kernel is capable of booting itself.  So in the configuration for rEFInd, there was some kind of *.conf file where you edited your boot parameters, right? (You did edit the boot parameters, didn't you?) So where it now says initrd=\EFI\arch\initramfs-linux.img you want it to be directed instead to initrd=\EFI\arch\initramfs-linux-fallback.img.  The default mkinitcpio preset (the "-p linux") created two initramfs' for you.  One regular, the otehr fallback.

BTW, in order to boot from the  EFI stub laoder, you need at least "root=LABEL=<rootfs> initrd=\EFI\arch\initramfs-linux[-fallback].img" Of course you need the root= to be whatever you need it to be and te initrd= to be whatever you need that to be. 

I noticed too that using -L with genfstab didn't do what I wanted it to do.  So again, this is why you need to check the work of these install scripts.  They make the installation process very convenient, but you would do well to know what those things are doing and why.  It will make debugging in the future much easier.

#6 2012-11-12 04:18:28

ciferkey

So I changed /etc/mkcpio.conf to remove scsi as well as pata, rebuilt with mkinitcpio, and copied over the files again as well as changed the lines in refined_linux.conf to root=LABEL=root.  Now it prompts:

:: running early hook [udev]
:: running hook [udex]
:: Triggering uevents...
Waiting 10 seconds for device /dec/disk/by-label/root
Error: device 'LABEL=root' not found.  Skipping fsck
Error: Unable to find root device 'LABEL=root'.
You are being dropped to a recovery shell
    Type 'exit' to try and continue booting
sh: cant access tty; job control turned off
[rootfs /]#

I'll try booting with fallback tomorrow and see it that works.

#7 2012-11-12 05:06:24

WonderWoofy

I am fairly certain that there is a way to change the kernel command line before you boot from rEFInd.  I was using gummiboot until it stopped working on me a few days ago, and it allowed for the use of <tab> to edit the parameters.  It is too bad too because gummiboot was awesome.

#8 2012-11-12 05:13:14

srs5694
Website

WonderWoofy wrote:

So in the configuration for rEFInd, there was some kind of *.conf file where you edited your boot parameters, right? (You did edit the boot parameters, didn't you?) So where it now says initrd=\EFI\arch\initramfs-linux.img you want it to be directed instead to initrd=\EFI\arch\initramfs-linux-fallback.img.

Just to clarify a point here: You can use either of two methods to boot a Linux kernel via the EFI stub loader with rEFInd:

• You can use rEFInd's auto-detection of EFI boot loaders and place a refind_linux.conf file in the directory that holds your kernel. You then place the kernel options (except the initrd= line) in this file. rEFInd detects the initrd that matches the kernel based on a version number and adds a suitable initrd= line to the kernel options from refind_linux.conf. This method is designed to work well with distributions like Fedora and Ubuntu, which create just one initrd file per kernel and that include a version number with both the kernel and the initrd filenames. The standard kernel/initrd practices with Arch don't really mesh all that well with this approach, although there are ways to adapt it.

• You can create manual boot stanzas in rEFInd's main refind.conf file. This method works much like configuring GRUB Legacy or ELILO, in that you've got to edit the configuration file if/when you install a kernel or initrd file with a different name than the one you'd been using before. Given Arch's usual kernel/initrd naming conventions, this method may work better than the first one.

ciferkey wrote:

So I changed /etc/mkcpio.conf to remove scsi as well as pata, rebuilt with mkinitcpio, and copied over the files again as well as changed the lines in refined_linux.conf to root=LABEL=root.  Now it prompts:

:: running early hook [udev]
:: running hook [udex]
:: Triggering uevents...
Waiting 10 seconds for device /dec/disk/by-label/root
Error: device 'LABEL=root' not found.  Skipping fsck

Assuming your root filesystem has the label "root", this suggests that the kernel (including whatever it's loaded from its initrd file) can't find the root filesystem. This is most likely to be because of a missing driver for your chipset; however, the fact that rEFInd had troubles finding your disk also suggest there may be a hardware initialization issue at play that may require some unusual configuration. If your root filesystem is not labeled "root", though, you must adjust that entry. For initial setup, the raw device filename may be easier to get working, so you'd use something like "root=/dev/sda3" or "root=/dev/sdb7". The problem with this notation is that both the disk device (/dev/sda, /dev/sdb, etc.) and the partition number (3 or 7 in these examples) can change as you add disks or repartition the disks. The UUID and LABEL notations work around this problem, but they can be prone to their own issues (typos, for instance), which seem more likely to crop up during initial installation, at least in my experience.

FWIW, somebody has posted a problem that seems similar in many ways to yours on the rEFInd discussion forum. See this thread for details. That involves difficulty with finding an SD card, but many of the symptoms are the same. You might want to check it out.

#9 2012-11-12 05:17:26

srs5694
Website

WonderWoofy wrote:

I am fairly certain that there is a way to change the kernel command line before you boot from rEFInd.

There is in the latest version (0.4.7):

1. Hit the Insert or F2 key at the main menu to produce an options menu.

2. Select the specific option you want to edit.

3. Hit the Insert or F2 key again to open an editor.

4. Edit the command line and press Enter to boot (or Esc to discard your changes and return to the main menu).

I was using gummiboot until it stopped working on me a few days ago, and it allowed for the use of <tab> to edit the parameters.  It is too bad too because gummiboot was awesome.

It's odd that a boot loader would just stop working. I don't want to hijack this thread, but if you've posted another thread about this difficulty, I'd be interested in seeing a link to it.

#10 2012-11-12 05:59:48

WonderWoofy

I did not post anything, because I actually primarily use a bootloader (efibootmgr) entry.  When i need to boot with special kernel parameters, I use the uefi shell.  So there was a short period of time that I discovered that I could use gummiboot without a timeout and it would boot straight away, unless I mashed the spacebar, which would give me the menu.  So I kind of just saw it as a non-issue, since I really lost no functionality. I mean how often do I really want to change the kernel command line before booting?  From previous issues with my firmware and an efibootmgr entry, I have the necessary (or my preferred) kernel parameters mega memorized now.

#11 2012-11-12 19:12:28

ciferkey

srs5694: Thanks for the info on loading fallback. I tried booting from it and it behaved the same.  I also tried changing refind_linux.conf to use 'root=/dev/sda2' rather than a label and it behaves the same as before.

For the second rEFInd method you mentioned, I should be adding the boot stanza on the efi partition on the SSD with OSX correct?  On the efi partition on the HHD with arch, I have a subdirectory 'arch' with the vmlinuz-arch.efi, initramfs-arch.img, and initramfs-arch-fallback.img.  Would I use these same files for in the boot stanza that I add in refind.conf on the SSD or do they need to be named with kernel version numbers?  Also should I use a stanza thats something like:

memuentry Arch {
    icon EFI/refind/icons/os_arch.icns
    volume efi
    loader vmlinuz-arch.efi
    initrd EFI/arch/initramfs-arch.img
    options "root=LABEL=root ro"
}

#12 2012-11-12 23:07:38

srs5694
Website

ciferkey wrote:

For the second rEFInd method you mentioned, I should be adding the boot stanza on the efi partition on the SSD with OSX correct?

You need to edit the refind.conf file that's stored in whatever directory holds the rEFInd binary (refind_x64.efi or whatever you've called it). The "volume" item in the stanza should point to the filesystem that holds the boot loader (kernel) you're trying to boot.

If you're not sure if you're editing the correct refind.conf file, try changing something obvious (like uncommenting -- or commenting out -- the "textonly" line). When you reboot, it should be obvious that you did (or did not) edit the correct file.

On the efi partition on the HHD with arch, I have a subdirectory 'arch' with the vmlinuz-arch.efi, initramfs-arch.img, and initramfs-arch-fallback.img.  Would I use these same files for in the boot stanza that I add in refind.conf on the SSD or do they need to be named with kernel version numbers?

You don't need to rename the kernel or initrd to include version numbers. That's a handy way to link them together automatically on distributions like Fedora and Ubuntu, which use version numbers in kernel and initrd filenames by default, but it's not required if you're doing a manual configuration, or even if you're doing an auto-detection in which each kernel and initrd are isolated to one partition.

Also should I use a stanza thats something like:

memuentry Arch {
    icon EFI/refind/icons/os_arch.icns
    volume efi
    loader vmlinuz-arch.efi
    initrd EFI/arch/initramfs-arch.img
    options "root=LABEL=root ro"
}

I don't think this is correct, but I'm not positive, since your description was a bit vague. What this stanza says is:

Load the file vmlinuz-arch.efi from the root directory of the filesystem with a name of "efi" and use the file EFI/arch/initramfs-arch.img from the same filesystem for the initial RAM disk.

If the kernel is also in the EFI/arch directory, then you need to explicitly include that path on the "loader" line. Your written description made it sound as if you have everything in a directory called "arch" off the root of that filesystem, in which case you'd need to exclude "EFI" from both of those paths. OTOH, EFI/{name} is the usual place to put EFI boot loaders, so if you do have an "arch" directory directly off the root of the filesystem, I'd recommend moving it inside the "EFI" directory.

#13 2012-11-13 02:37:57

hungerfish

First, I must admit that I haven't read the complete thread in detail, but I would still like to point out that it seems that the stock arch-linux kernel, at times, will not boot via efistub.
I use refind to load the kernel via efistub, and for quite some time (3.4/3.5) it just wouldn't work properly(which given that efistub booting is a new feature is ok..).
My solution at the time was a custom 3.6-rcN kernel. There was a bug in 3.5, which got fixed with 3.6 which in turn got backported  to 3.5, anyhow, since a recent kernel upgrade(3.6.N) I'm back to nothing, annoyingly right after 'finally' getting rid of my custom kernel image...
so, with regards to your issue, keep in mind that it could 'just be a bad apple'. I would give version numbers, but I still haven't repaired that particular system... I'll see if I can get it booting again, and I'll post some more info.

Beetles and bacteria are vastly more successful than humans in terms of survival.

#14 2012-11-13 04:07:48

WonderWoofy

@hungerfish... I boot from the stock linux kernel using efistub every boot.  This has worked for me for a bit now, and I have not yet experienced this failing you speak of.  Maybe it was an issue with your particular firmware, which is very plausable since uefi unfortunately can vary greatly from box to box.

#15 2012-11-21 16:58:13

hungerfish

So, I really don't want to hijack this thread, but seeing that I've now 'repaired' my system from the damage mentioned before, I feel I should.

@WonderWoofy:
Well, I very much doubt that this was an issue with my firmware, my reasoning being that it quite simply did not change, the arch-packages however did, quite invasively I may add.
To clarify,
linux (3.6.2-1 -> 3.6.4-1) was the update that broke my systen boot for me.
linux (3.6.4-1 -> 3.6.6-1) since today has again fixed it.
My custom kernel was just vanilla 3.6.0.
So what I did to repair, was to boot up using a live-cd and after discovering I still had my custom-built kernel I copied it back to my EFI-partition, and guess what, it no longer booted!!
to be more precise, it booted, but no display, and after my hdd seemed to have settled, unresponsive/frozen system, hard-reset the only option. The stock kernel(3.6.4-1) never did boot, just froze immediately on load(I could still see the efi-shell).
So, I figured it must be systemd`s fault (because its responsible for loading my system and it was probably no longer working properly with the older kernel version + udev).
My solution was to boot using an older arch-installation cd (in bios-mode!!! again efimode broken) and chroot, update the system, and for now it seems to work again.

So I restate, that arch+efi can be quite unstable at times, even though it could well be my 'luck' to have multiple issues all at once.

To round this off, and maybe benefit the OP, I thought I'd clarify my setup.

I have a single disk, gpt formatted. It holds 7 partitions:

/dev/sda1 -> EFI
/dev/sda2 -> MSRESERVE
/dev/sda3 -> WINDOWS
/dev/sda4 -> DATA
/dev/sda5 -> LINUX
/dev/sda6 -> HOME
/dev/sda7 -> SWAP

Note, I do not have a separate boot partition.
My LINUX partition is laid out in the following way:

/boot -> contains the stock vmlinuz-linux and initramfs-linux.img
/boot/efi -> mountpoint for the EFI partition

fstab entry:

/dev/sda1	/boot/efi	vfat		rw,noexec,fmask=0113,dmask=0022	0 0

When mounted in such a way, /boot/efi contains:

ls -l /boot/efi/ ->
drwxr-xr-x 8 root root 2.0K Nov 20 14:29 EFI/
ls -l /boot/efi/EFI/ ->
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 2.0K Nov 20 14:30 arch/
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 2.0K Nov 20 14:30 archmy/
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 2.0K Jun 15 19:41 Boot/
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 2.0K Jun 15 19:25 Microsoft/
drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 2.0K Aug  9 14:48 refind/
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 2.0K Aug  9 15:09 tools/

Now of interest are the /boot/efi/EFI/refind/ and /boot/efi/EFI/arch folders.
Notice the /boot/efi/EFI/archmy folder is for my custom kernel mentioned above.
Separate folders are one way to use refind's auto-detection mechanism (hence no need to mess with manual boot stanzas) and not have the arch-specific problem of unversioned kernel files.
So /boot/efi/EFI/arch contains:

-rw-rw-r-- 1 root root  13M Nov 21 13:08 initramfs-linux-fallback.img
-rw-rw-r-- 1 root root 4.0M Nov 21 13:08 initramfs-linux.img
-rw-rw-r-- 1 root root  200 Nov 20 14:14 refind_linux.conf
-rw-rw-r-- 1 root root 3.4M Nov 21 13:08 vmlinuz-linux.efi

and /boot/efi/EFI/refind contains:

drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 2.0K Aug  9 14:48 drivers_x64/
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4.0K Aug  9 14:48 icons/
-rw-rw-r-- 1 root root  12K Nov 20 14:14 refind.conf
-rw-rw-r-- 1 root root 137K Jun 23 23:26 refind_x64.efi

The two important configuration files are /boot/efi/EFI/arch/refind_linux.conf:

"Boot with Default Options" "root=/dev/sda5 ro rootfstype=ext4 add_efi_memmap"
"Boot with More Options" "root=/dev/sda5 ro rootfstype=ext4 add_efi_memmap radeon.modeset=1 iommu=pt radeon.pcie_gen2=1"

In this case I have two seperate kernel-cmd lines, each with different options. I can select which to use, by selecting the 'kernel-entry' I want when refind loads up(each directory, arch/ and archmy/ are a seperate icon)
and pressing'+'. A menu will appear which will show both those lines and I can choose the one I want. This can also be handy when wanting to boot with debugging options.
For instance, the 'radeon-options' are specific to my hw-setup.
Notice that there is no mention of which initramfs file to use, this is handled by refind automatically, BUT can be wonky if not separating kernel versions properly!!!
The only required option is 'root=/dev/sda5' which obviously points at my root partition. (in this case /dev/sda5 -> LINUX)

And /boot/efi/EFI/refind/refind.conf:

timeout 7
hideui banner,label
#icons_dir myicons
#banner hostname.bmp
#selection_big   selection-big.bmp
#selection_small selection-small.bmp
#textonly
#resolution 1024 768
use_graphics_for osx,windows
#showtools shell, about, reboot
#scan_driver_dirs EFI/tools/drivers,drivers
#scanfor internal,external,optical
#also_scan_dirs boot,EFI/linux/kernels
dont_scan_dirs EFI/boot
#scan_all_linux_kernels
#max_tags 0
#default_selection 1

These are just the configuration options I have set/unset. Note that some of the commented-out options are still in use, they are just the defaults.
This gives me automatic kernel detection (as long as properly separating things!) and at least when the image itself is working, results in a boot-able system smile

Beetles and bacteria are vastly more successful than humans in terms of survival.

Board footer