You are not logged in.

#1 2012-11-11 03:56:28

jemofthewest

[Solved] MATLAB 2012a: -nodesktop and libjvm.so

Hey forums.

I have a (hopefully) easy question.  I've recently installed MATLAB 2012a, and with reasonable hassle its working.  However, I would like to be running it with the -nodesktop command so I can properly tile things in DWM and/or tmux.

Problem is, I get an error saying:

Warning: Unable to load Java Runtime Environment: libjvm.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory.

I'm assuming this has something to do with me having an x86_64 archlinux trying to install x86 MATLAB, as I've encountered this trouble with other shared libraries (lib32-glu for example), and for those I just found the right package in the multilib repository.  However, I can't find what potential multilib package I should install to get libjvm.so.

I have jre7-openjdk installed with jre6-compat and jdk6-compat (I have issues with java7 with matlab but don't feel like using 6 for everything else).  I followed the wiki article to install lib32 packages (and had to add lib32-glu).  I am using the jre included with Matlab (from the same wiki article), but I've tried using bin32-openjdk6 and I get:

Warning: unable to find Java library: /usr/lib/jvm/java-7-openjdk/jre/lib/i386/libjava.so

What am I missing?  Or am I crazy hoping there is some magical multilib-like solution? Note that Matlab does run with -nodesktop, but a lot of java-related functions don't work.  Thanks.

Last edited by jemofthewest (2012-11-12 19:09:09)

#2 2012-11-11 07:42:49

PolePosition

Re: [Solved] MATLAB 2012a: -nodesktop and libjvm.so

Hi,

I have been using R2012a several months, with the -desktop option, wihthout any warning.
Now I am using the R2012b release, also with -desktop option, also without any warning or problem.

So I guess you have something missing.

Hopefully the following could help :

[bastien@zoulou ~]$ pacman-color -Qs java
local/apache-ant 1.8.4-1
    A java-based build tool
local/ca-certificates-java 20120608-1
    Common CA certificates (JKS keystore)
local/hsqldb-java 1:1.8.0.10-2
    HSQLDB Java libraries
local/jdk7-openjdk 7.u9_2.3.3-1
    Free Java environment based on OpenJDK 7.0 with IcedTea7 replacing binary plugs - SDK
local/jre7-openjdk 7.u9_2.3.3-1
    Free Java environment based on OpenJDK 7.0 with IcedTea7 replacing binary plugs -Full Java runtime environment - needed for executing Java GUI and Webstart programs
local/jre7-openjdk-headless 7.u9_2.3.3-1
    Free Java environment based on OpenJDK 7.0 with IcedTea7 replacing binary plugs - Minimal Java runtime - needed for executing non GUI Java programs
local/js 1.8.5-3
    JavaScript interpreter and libraries
[bastien@zoulou ~]$

+

Life is not linear.
-----------
Arch power !

#3 2012-11-11 22:28:24

jemofthewest

Thanks for the reply!

The -desktop option works fine for me, it's only the -nodesktop option that is having trouble.  Also, do you have a 32bit or 64bit system?  Because I know there are troubles inherently with that too.  Here is what I have installed (probably overkill on the 6 compat stuff, but I've been trying...)

[~]$ pacman-color -Qs java                                                            [] 
local/bin32-openjdk6 6.b24_1.11.5-1
    32-bit Free Java environment based on OpenJDK 6.0 with IcedTea6 replacing binary plugs
    for Arch x86_64
local/hsqldb-java 1:1.8.0.10-2
    HSQLDB Java libraries
local/icedtea-web-java7 1.3.1-1
    provides a Free Software web browser plugin running applets written in the Java
    programming language and an implementation of Java Web Start, originally based on the
    NetX project
local/jdk6-compat 6u37-b06
    Java 6 Development Kit designed to work alongside OpenJDK7 installation
local/jre6-compat 6u37-b06
    Java 6 Runtime Environment designed to work alongside OpenJDK7
    Free Java environment based on OpenJDK 7.0 with IcedTea7 replacing binary plugs -Full
    Java runtime environment - needed for executing Java GUI and Webstart programs
    Free Java environment based on OpenJDK 7.0 with IcedTea7 replacing binary plugs -
    Minimal Java runtime - needed for executing non GUI Java programs
local/js 1.8.5-3
local/nodejs 0.8.14-1
    Evented I/O for V8 javascript
local/v8 3.14.0-1
    Fast and modern javascript engine

Last edited by jemofthewest (2012-11-11 22:28:54)

#4 2012-11-12 09:33:41

Arctus

Hi, I too use Matlab 2012a without any issues, glnxa64, on a x86_64 system. Why not just install the 64 bit version instead of the 32 bit?
All my Matlab installs, been using it for some years now sad, have been without any hassle what so ever.
These are my java packages:

pacman -Qs java  
local/antlr2 2.7.7-3
    ANother Tool for Language Recognition, (formerly PCCTS) is a language tool that provides a framework for constructing recognizers, compilers, and translators from grammatical descriptions containing C++
    or Java actions
local/icedtea-web-java7 1.3-1
    provides a Free Software web browser plugin running applets written in the Java programming language and an implementation of Java Web Start, originally based on the NetX project
local/java-rhino 1.7R4-1
    Open-source implementation of JavaScript written entirely in Java - JAR
    Free Java environment based on OpenJDK 7.0 with IcedTea7 replacing binary plugs -Full Java runtime environment - needed for executing Java GUI and Webstart programs                                       
    Free Java environment based on OpenJDK 7.0 with IcedTea7 replacing binary plugs - Minimal Java runtime - needed for executing non GUI Java programs                                                        
local/js 1.8.5-3                                                                                                                                                                                               
local/swt 4.2-2                                                                                                                                                                                                
    An open source widget toolkit for Java

#5 2012-11-12 12:34:13

jemofthewest

Unfortunately, I bought the Student Version and they only provide you with the x86 version :-(

Honestly, their whole licensing setup drives me nuts but I need it for research so what can I do!

I've put in a ticket with their Technical Support, even though I don't have a supported distribution... I figure it shouldn't matter since I'm using the JRE they shipped anyways.  Any other ideas would be appreciated though, and thanks for the help so far...

#6 2012-11-12 13:55:22

Arctus

Weird, I think I've got the student version too, and I've been able to update and choose versions for years. Have you tried a 32 bit chroot?

#7 2012-11-12 19:10:40

jemofthewest

Alright, so it was an easier solution than even I thought.  If you want to run it terminal mode (-nodesktop), you need to be sure to append -glnx86 as well.  I added that to the .desktop file for -desktop mode, and forgot to append it when typing manually.  Thanks for the help!

Board footer