You are not logged in.

#1 2012-11-03 00:12:33

mianka

SOLVED Installing ARCH on an Intel Imac 27" as only system

I have installed Arch (in an older incarnation) on this Imac and it worked perfectly.

Trying to install it from the new (01/11) install disk went totally wrong.It is an arch only/no OSX.

Can someone give me -step by step- the things to do to install Arch (The manual has been of no help at all/other docs seem to be obsolete) on this machine?

Thank you

Last edited by mianka (2012-11-19 15:38:23)

#2 2012-11-03 00:19:27

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

Re: SOLVED Installing ARCH on an Intel Imac 27" as only system

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

#3 2012-11-03 01:51:53

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

mianka wrote:

went totally wrong

This is not remotely helpful in identifying your problem.

mianka wrote:

Can someone give me -step by step- the things to do to install Arch

Several someones already have.  See the link in the previous post.  If you don't want to take the time to read the information that is already available, why would anyone want to provide more?

Last edited by Trilby (2012-11-03 01:53:06)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#4 2012-11-03 03:49:45

*david_a*

mianka wrote:

I have installed Arch (in an older incarnation) on this Imac and it worked perfectly.

Trying to install it from the new (01/11) install disk went totally wrong.It is an arch only/no OSX.

Can someone give me -step by step- the things to do to install Arch (The manual has been of no help at all/other docs seem to be obsolete) on this machine?

Thank you

Hi

I understand your question and your frustration. The problem is that there are so many different computers in existence - it isn't possible to create instructions that work in every situation.

However, I suggest that you use the Beginners' Guide. It is far better than the Installation Guide because it has more information and more-specific information. Even so, you may need to study a lot of different documents in a lot of different places in order to get your machine working. Get to know exactly what is in your own machine - what brand and model-number all the important components are - so that you will have a better idea which documents will apply to you.

#5 2012-11-13 00:09:11

mianka

Thank you David as you seem to be the only one that correctly read my message. There seems to be a fundamental incompatibility between the newest install disc and my dual-core 27" Imac. I have read the docs, as I mentioned in my message ,I can boot the disc , but the only thing I get is a black or white screen. I do not even get into the install. The disc is correct, it works on a "normal" Intel computer.
Mint-KDE installs and works like a charm , so there is nothing wrong with the machine either.

So here is my question again : has someone installed arch 1/11 successfully on an Intel Imac and can he tell me what particularities I have to look for on this Imac.

And btw Arch is not the only distro that has problems on this machine.

THX

Michel

#6 2012-11-13 01:57:37

cfr

I'm sure people read your message but you failed to provide any information which might have indicated the kind of problem you were experiencing. "It went totally wrong" could mean anything and is usually an indication that the OP should RTFW before they do anything else.

You've now given a little more information although not very much. It is possible somebody with a dual-core 27" imac will happen by at some point and that that person will have a machine with specs relevantly similar to yours.

If you get bored waiting, I suggest http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html.

In the meantime, as a non-dual-core-27"-imac-user, you've told me not to bother and I'm more than happy to oblige.

CLI Paste | How To Ask Questions

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

#7 2012-11-13 04:12:01

WonderWoofy

early KMS

#8 2012-11-17 07:36:27

mianka

Well, let's recapitulate/

I start the cd, it launches the uefi shell, I do exit, select the uefi-cd item the disk starts spinning and the screen turns black.It looks as if the whole thing loads, it just does not show on the sceen. Tabbing ,as suggested in the troubleshooting section (p4) does not work.
This looks much like the old nomodeset problem but I do not find a means to give parameters on startup so trying with acpi=  is not possible either.

I installed Mint KDE 13 Maya without the slightest problem, everything works so the Imac is OK.

I think there might be an incompatibility between Imac and the install disk.

#9 2012-11-17 08:19:49

WonderWoofy

Have you checked the install disc itself?

#10 2012-11-17 15:33:37

ANOKNUSA

1) Arch is not Mint. 

2) No one's suggesting something's wrong with your machine, they're suggesting something's wrong with your methods.  You say that "tabbing" does not work and that you "do not find a means to give parameters on startup."  When and how are you trying this?  Exactly how old is your machine (age of the machine will hopefully give us the age of the UEFI firmware and, using the wiki entry on UEFI, possibly sort out the problem)?  Isn't it possible to use Boot Camp to chain-load a BIOS-style bootloader (I really don't know myself)?

3) You've been here long enough to know that demanding step-by-step instructions will get you overlooked.

#11 2012-11-19 15:45:23

mianka

Found the culprit!

Mint had borked the the Imac startup.I reinstalled a basic OSX and presto I was able to bootup again with the Arch install disk. Mint has a brilliant HW detection but goes to deep into the system's inner workings, so you're warned.

Thank you for your help.

Michel

Board footer