You are not logged in.

#1 2005-10-19 09:39:54

isofluran

hwd does not really improve booting time

Hi!

I changed from hotplug to hwd. The booting process hangs about 20-25 minutes (!) at the lshwd part. After that the system is going up quick and without any problems.
When I run the lshwd -id command the system freezes after a few minutes and I have to reset the machine.
I'm not sure how to solve this problem. I tried hwd -u to get the latest update but it does not change the booting behaviour.
Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help

Sebastian

#2 2005-10-19 10:17:59

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: hwd does not really improve booting time

Ziggy is currently updating the table to increase compatibility.  I would assume it is not yet compatible with your system.

#3 2005-10-19 11:33:02

z4ziggy
Website

hmm...
Rasat is maintaining the pci/usb-tables (though i made a completely new tables for lshwd-2.0, but this is not released yet), and the problem can be caused by a wrong module loaded OR by lshwd itself.
is running "lshwd" by itself hangs your system, or is it only the "-id" parameter only? if your system hangs in both situations, can u please look at the module list loaded by lshwd and check manually if one of those modules is the cause of that?

thanks.

#4 2005-10-19 13:16:05

isofluran

"lshwd" and "lshwd -id" both run fine. (different from my first statement, sorry!)
But "hwd -s" or "hwd -e" whitch starts (I think) "lshwd -a -n -m" seems to be the point: After starting this command a lot of "modprobe" commands are eating nearly 100% of one cpu until the system freezes.
Is there a way to get a more verbose output of the "lshwd -a -n -m" command to find out the smashing "modprobe" command?

#5 2005-10-19 15:21:20

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

You can always try adding all the modules you need to the MODULES=() array in rc.conf - then you can get rid of both hotplug and hwd on boot.

#6 2005-10-19 21:04:31

z4ziggy
Website

look at the modules "lshwd -a" loads, and try loading them manually one-by-one, and see which one causes the problem. my guess is that lshwd recognizes a wrong module for your system, but this is only a guess. i'll be waiting for your results.

#7 2005-10-20 04:02:09

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

z4ziggy wrote:

Rasat is maintaining the pci/usb-tables ...

If there is a problem among the modules in the tables, I will update and then you run "hwd -u".

Markku

#8 2005-10-20 07:17:44

isofluran

I tried "lshwd -a" and  have found this:
The command stops before
"00:11.0 Multimedia audio controller: IC Ensemble Inc|ICE1724 [Envy24HT] (snd-ice1724)". This is my great Maudio Revolution 5.1 soundcard.
Running a "ps ax | grep modprobe"" on another console shows several  entries:
One "/sbin/modprobe snd_ice1724 -q"
Thirteen times these pairs:
"44xx4 pts/2    S+     0:00 modprobe snd_pcm_oss
44xy pts/2    S+     0:00 sh -c modprobe -i snd-pcm ; modprobe snd-pcm-oss"
And one with most cpu-time:
"4687 pts/2    R+     2:29 modprobe -i snd-pcm"
After a "killall modprobe" the lshwd command continues fine and the system seems to be stable until now.

Is this helpful? I think the sound card could be the problem. In other distributions (e.g. Suse) the configuration of the sound card produces a lot of trouble (and a lot of strange noise, too).

#9 2005-10-20 11:00:23

z4ziggy
Website

i am confused about the following line, which u stated is been shown 13 times :

44xy pts/2 S+ 0:00 sh -c modprobe -i snd-pcm ; modprobe snd-pcm-oss

lshwd doesnt load its modules in pairs (or more) - only 1 at a time, but the line u posted shows clearly this is not the case : 2 modules are being loaded at 1 line separated with a semicolon, which points to the fact this is not lshwd doings... so im confused here.
but i agree it seems your sound-card is the trouble-maker, though its probably lshwd's fault... which modules are already loaded prior to "lshwd -a"?

ofcourse, this could be due to some weird kernel problem, but i dont want to throw lame accusations in the air before we have a good proof for that. so, the best thing is to look which modules "lshwd -a" tries to load, modprobe them manually, and see if your system freezes again. if so - blame it on the kernel wink if not, we'll see what can we change in lshwd.

thanks for all your input!  8)

#10 2005-10-20 20:17:41

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

I checked the tables in vendor and device ids what were found, all are fine.

Markku

#11 2005-10-20 20:32:24

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

z4ziggy wrote:

i am confused about the following line, which u stated is been shown 13 times :

44xy pts/2 S+ 0:00 sh -c modprobe -i snd-pcm ; modprobe snd-pcm-oss

lshwd doesnt load its modules in pairs (or more) - only 1 at a time, but the line u posted shows clearly this is not the case : 2 modules are being loaded at 1 line separated with a semicolon, which points to the fact this is not lshwd doings... so im confused here.
but i agree it seems your sound-card is the trouble-maker, though its probably lshwd's fault... which modules are already loaded prior to "lshwd -a"?

Those lines are from alsaconf - they will be in /etc/modprobe.conf.  Try commenting the alsaconf crap out.

Board footer