You are not logged in.

#201 2012-11-08 19:58:45

jukkan

Re: Looking forward to having Steam on Linux? Read this.

The bypass trick doesn't seem to work anymore.

#202 2012-11-08 20:13:58

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

Working fine here.

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

#203 2012-11-08 21:05:21

blackout23

Made a small video of my laptop booting directly into Steam. I think there might also be a setting in Big Picture Mode to enable it as the default GUI. With a 360 controller that's basically a Steambox.

Had to start a Openbox Session, because without a window manager i could not very much. With chromium "exec chromium" in .xinitrc works without WM for some reason.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5JFQbjJk7w&feature=plcp

#204 2012-11-08 21:08:44

Unia
Website

blackout23 wrote:

Made a small video of my laptop booting directly into Steam. I think there might also be a setting in Big Picture Mode to enable it as the default GUI. With a 360 controller that's basically a Steambox.

Had to start a Openbox Session, because without a window manager i could not very much. With chromium "exec chromium" in .xinitrc works without WM for some reason.

Nice!

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres

#205 2012-11-08 22:06:18

jukkan

WorMzy wrote:

Working fine here.

I just get this

surface_opengl.cpp (564) : Assertion Failed: glIsTexture( id )
surface_opengl.cpp (845) : Assertion Failed: !"Current texture not set"
surface_opengl.cpp (505) : Assertion Failed: GetTextureForString failed

x20 in terminal. Doing something wrong?

#206 2012-11-08 22:10:59

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

I guess?

Still working fine here.

Did you install steam from the AUR? If not, do you have all the dependencies installed, including the lib32- version of your 3D graphics driver (if you're running on a 64-bit Arch installation)

e.g. I need lib32-nouveau-dri, since I use nouveau with my nvidia graphics card.

Also, try an strace to see if that gives any more meaningful output.

Last edited by WorMzy (2012-11-08 22:11:51)

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

#207 2012-11-08 22:13:21

Pad

blackout23 wrote:

Now add the argument -bigpicture to the Steam binary and be delighted. wink

#208 2012-11-08 22:15:36

jukkan

WorMzy wrote:

I guess?

Still working fine here.

Did you install steam from the AUR? If not, do you have all the dependencies installed, including the lib32- version of your 3D graphics driver (if you're running on a 64-bit Arch installation)

e.g. I need lib32-nouveau-dri, since I use nouveau with my nvidia graphics card.

Also, try an strace to see if that gives any more meaningful output.

Yes, steam 0.1-6 from AUR and lib32-nvidia-utils are installed.

Trying strace now.

e: I got it working by launching steam with -silent.

Last edited by jukkan (2012-11-08 22:41:34)

#209 2012-11-11 12:10:48

akspecs

There's an option in the steam client under the help tab called system information.  Anyone getting any awkward output?  I know my systems with radeon cards have something really weird in that spot along with only kilobytes of video ram detected.

#210 2012-11-11 14:55:57

blackout23

Pad wrote:
blackout23 wrote:

Now add the argument -bigpicture to the Steam binary and be delighted. wink

This only works for beta participants unfortunately. Others will be kicked out. You'd have to run "steam steam://open/bigpicture" but that doesn't give you nice fullscreen login.

#211 2012-11-11 19:02:59

BennyBolton
Website

i've got an ati radeon HD card and using catalyst. Steam is very sow for me, updates every second or two

HP DV6 + Arch + Openbox

#212 2012-11-11 22:41:21

akspecs

BennyBolton wrote:

i've got an ati radeon HD card and using catalyst. Steam is very sow for me, updates every second or two

What card?  I have an HD 6870 and it runs perfectly smooth at 1080p

#213 2012-11-12 19:38:48

DarkCerberus
Banned

jukkan wrote:

The bypass trick doesn't seem to work anymore.

Just use the "--silent" command line next to "steam steam://open/games" then it will work if you do it properly like this in your terminal "steam steam://open/games --silent" without the quotes.

Edit: Hmm, Oil Rush doesn't work even though the version which I have is Linux compatible why isn't the steam version (i.e the windows version) working on linux?

Last edited by DarkCerberus (2012-11-12 19:47:38)

Our enemies are your enemies, Nick. Disorder, war. It's just a matter of time before a dirty bomb goes off in Moscow, or an EMP fries Chicago.  ---  Alexander Pierce, Captain America: Winter Soldier
Access Denied! De-cryption failed, override denied all files sealed! --- Triskelion, Shield OS
-----
How to ask questions the smart way

#214 2012-11-12 19:43:39

DarkCerberus
Banned

BennyBolton wrote:

Have you tried switching from the closed graphics card drivers to the open source graphics card drivers it may turn out to be faster?

Our enemies are your enemies, Nick. Disorder, war. It's just a matter of time before a dirty bomb goes off in Moscow, or an EMP fries Chicago.  ---  Alexander Pierce, Captain America: Winter Soldier
Access Denied! De-cryption failed, override denied all files sealed! --- Triskelion, Shield OS
-----

#215 2012-11-13 00:05:42

akspecs

DarkCerberus wrote:

Edit: Hmm, Oil Rush doesn't work even though the version which I have is Linux compatible why isn't the steam version (i.e the windows version) working on linux?

If you're getting a missing executable error, then it's because the developers haven't uploaded their Linux files to steam yet. It'll be done soon.

#216 2012-11-13 10:00:18

DarkCerberus
Banned

akspecs wrote:
DarkCerberus wrote:

If you're getting a missing executable error, then it's because the developers haven't uploaded their Linux files to steam yet. It'll be done soon.

That's the thing, I'm not getting a missing executable error. All I'm getting is an error message which says somthing like "Not available for your current platform" I've even tried downloading the files through steam and this message pops up constantly -  and when I try the files which I've already got, it says the game can't run. Could this be a bug in steam, at the moment? Other's have managed to get his/her games running but not me.

-----

#217 2012-11-13 10:46:55

Ram-Z

DarkCerberus wrote:

That's the thing, I'm not getting a missing executable error. All I'm getting is an error message which says somthing like "Not available for your current platform" I've even tried downloading the files through steam and this message pops up constantly -  and when I try the files which I've already got, it says the game can't run. Could this be a bug in steam, at the moment? Other's have managed to get his/her games running but not me.

I can't see Oil Rush on any of the game lists for Steam Linux [1][2]. Are you sure that the Oil Rush version in Steam is linux enabled?

[1] http://www.gamingonlinux.com/index.php? … ecap.1130/
[2] http://www.reddit.com/r/linux_gaming/co … nk/c6xf19p

#218 2012-11-13 11:02:45

DarkCerberus
Banned

Ram-Z wrote:
DarkCerberus wrote:

I can't see Oil Rush on any of the game lists for Steam Linux [1][2]. Are you sure that the Oil Rush version in Steam is linux enabled?

[1] http://www.gamingonlinux.com/index.php? … ecap.1130/
[2] http://www.reddit.com/r/linux_gaming/co … nk/c6xf19p

That's what I don't understand - the version which I have is Linux enabled on the disc I have the Linux version in a ".sh" file format. The version is 1.03 but steam's version should be the same or higher since then more updates have been available. If you don't believe me that Oil Rush is Linux compatible have a look here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Oil-Rush-PC-Mac … 254&sr=8-1

Edit: Is there a command line which I could enter next to the "--silent" which would fool the steam platform in thinking that it's on Ubuntu - I think this might be the problem, though I have no idea what command line to use.

Last edited by DarkCerberus (2012-11-13 11:14:17)

-----

#219 2012-11-13 11:31:39

Ram-Z

I know that Oil Rush is Linux compatible, but the developers need to have made the Linux files available in Steam. If they haven't you won't be able to download Oil Rush for Linux within the Steam client.

There is a plethora of games with Linux ports that are not available via Steam -- FTL, Super Meat Boy, Trine, to name a few. The Steam Linux client is still in beta, give them more time and more games will probably appear. wink

#220 2012-11-13 13:27:17

kevin89
Arch Linux f@h Team Member

Although I'm not in the beta, I can actually use Steam with the excellent AUR package. I only played 'Killing Floor' so far (works great), but gonna try a lot more in the coming days!

Has anyone managed to get the Steam icon in their tray area? I don't seem to get one (using Gnome), but I've read varying successes with this.

#221 2012-11-13 23:25:45

akspecs

kevin89 wrote:

Although I'm not in the beta, I can actually use Steam with the excellent AUR package. I only played 'Killing Floor' so far (works great), but gonna try a lot more in the coming days!

Has anyone managed to get the Steam icon in their tray area? I don't seem to get one (using Gnome), but I've read varying successes with this.

This is not implemented YET with the native linux version of steam, though running the windows version through wine will give you the icon in your notifcation tray.  It's on their to do list, and will be soon easily implemented for at least those that run GTK based GUIs.  KDE and other folks may have to wait longer but don't take my word for it.  Something about different methods of handling system trays / notifcations... etc...

#222 2012-11-14 05:12:46

ConnorBehan
Package Maintainer (PM)
Website

Insert plug for alltray here?

I have instantbird using alltray instead of its own tray functionality. Sometimes I like it better than the built in code.

6EA3 F3F3 B908 2632 A9CB E931 D53A 0445 B47A 0DAB
Great things come in tar.xz packages.

#223 2012-11-14 08:46:08

flako

I installed Steam through the AUR, and as I'm not in the Beta I used the bypass trick to get to the Games list. Sword and sorcery works fine for me, will try some more games when I get more time. Running Open Source Intel drivers and awesome as WM.

#224 2012-11-15 11:03:48

masteryod

Steam is in repos! Wow, it's a little bit unusual to put such young and closed-beta package inside official repositories. It will help to adopt it and keep updated, sure, but I hope it's just a special case not the rule. Anyway I'm glad it happened (the same way I got e.g. flash in repos) but it's a little bit to soon for my taste.

More details in arch-dev-public mailinglist.

Last edited by masteryod (2012-11-15 11:08:59)

#225 2012-11-15 11:09:48

karol
Archivist

masteryod wrote:

Steam is in repos! Wow, it's a little bit unusual to put such young and closed-beta package inside official repositories. It will help to adopt it and keep updated, sure, but I hope it's just a special case not the rule.

There's a discussion about it on the ML.

Board footer