You are not logged in.

#1 2012-11-15 12:04:45

mortecouille

Systemd's *ctl tools return access denied

Hi.

I finally decided to migrate to systemd, and did so successfully on my laptop but I'm getting some issues on my desktop for some reason.

Everything worked fine until I uninstalled initscripts and sysvinit. My locale, hostname etc. were configured in my old rc.conf, so after removing initscripts and sysvinit, I used the *ctl tools to reconfigure everything correctly. But whenever I try to do something like

# hostnamectl set-hostname myhost

or

# localectl set-locale LANG="en_US.UTF-8"

All I get is

Failed to issue method call: Access denied

Polkit is installed, and the /etc/hostname files etc. exist with the proper permissions (644).

Similarly, I cannot enable/disable services. The couple of times I booted with systemd with initscripts and sysvinit still installed, systemd used rc.conf's NETWORK to start the network. Now that I've removed it, it tries to start dhcpcd@eth0 whereas I need dhcpcd@eth1. But disabling the first and enabling the other does not work, and if I reboot, systemd is back to trying dhcpcd on eth0.
Any ideas ?

Last edited by mortecouille (2012-11-15 15:28:33)

#2 2012-11-15 13:12:17

karol
Archivist

Re: Systemd's *ctl tools return access denied

#3 2012-11-15 13:31:13

mortecouille

Thanks for the answer.

I thought you might be right, because I noticed polkit-gnome was installed on my laptop (on which everything works perfectly) but not on my desktop. But installing it did not help.
Also, if that was the issue, I should still be able to run any "ctl" command from a TTY, shouldn't I? Because I just tried that and got the same error.

#4 2012-11-15 15:09:15

foppe

mortecouille wrote:

Any ideas ?

Debug with:

# systemctl status dhcpcd@eth0.service
#systemctl status dhcpcd@eth1.service

#5 2012-11-15 15:19:43

mortecouille

I'm not sure that's helpful, it just tells me that it failed to connect on eth0 which is expected since there isn't even a cable in there, and that eth1 is disabled... The problem is not the network,the problem is that I can't configure systemd through the command-line tools.

#6 2012-11-15 18:40:45

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

mortecouille wrote:

Similarly, I cannot enable/disable services. The couple of times I booted with systemd with initscripts and sysvinit still installed, systemd used rc.conf's NETWORK to start the network. Now that I've removed it, it tries to start dhcpcd@eth0 whereas I need dhcpcd@eth1. But disabling the first and enabling the other does not work, and if I reboot, systemd is back to trying dhcpcd on eth0.
Any ideas ?

https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/31093

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

Board footer