You are not logged in.

#1 2012-11-12 13:49:09

imrehg

RethinkDB - how to create a PKGBUILD for this monster?

Hi!

After an interesting discussion on HackerNews about RethinkBD, I wanted to take a look for myself. Using it in Ubuntu (my work system) wasn't that bad, they build package for that one, and looked like something I might like to play with. But for that I'd wanted to have a package for my personal system running Arch, and there don't seem to be one.

I did have a big bunch of packages before (not saying that they were any good, but have seen enough to know what might be relatively easy and what will be hard). When I checked out the build information, it just looks terrifying. The big list of dependencies is not that bad, but the other requires are nodejs, node libraries, ruby libraries, some of them are on AUR but orphaned and cannot be really relied on....

Any suggestion how to get the bottom of this?

#2 2012-11-12 13:58:44

Trilby
Forum Moderator
Website

Re: RethinkDB - how to create a PKGBUILD for this monster?

Strictly speaking, your PKGBUILD only has to list the dependencies.  If the dependencies are broken, your PKGBUILD doesn't need to solve that.

Of course it would be pointless to have a PKGBUILD that depended on something broken, but you should push those maintainers to fix their PKGBUILDs.

Have you checked that those dependencies can't be satisfied by packages in the repos?  Nodejs, for example, is in [community] and rubygems is provided by ruby in [extra].  In fact, I don't see anything there that would not likely be provided by something in the main repos.

EDIT: upon looking closer ruby_protobuf and coffee-script-git are aur-only, do those fail to build from the aur? (edit: they built fine for me)

Last edited by Trilby (2012-11-12 14:12:18)

InterrobangSlider
• How's my coding? See this page.
• How's my moderating? Feel free to email any concerns, complaints, or objections.

#3 2012-11-12 16:03:26

imrehg

Trilby wrote:

Strictly speaking, your PKGBUILD only has to list the dependencies.  If the dependencies are broken, your PKGBUILD doesn't need to solve that.

Thinking about it, I see your point, while I still feel that it's not the complete picture. That way I can make a package for myself, and using nvm/rvm for the missing packages, but e.g. then I couldn't really upload it to AUR or if I was, definitely someone would remove it because of being broken (and would be right about it.

Trilby wrote:

Of course it would be pointless to have a PKGBUILD that depended on something broken, but you should push those maintainers to fix their PKGBUILDs.

Have you checked that those dependencies can't be satisfied by packages in the repos?  Nodejs, for example, is in [community] and rubygems is provided by ruby in [extra].  In fact, I don't see anything there that would not likely be provided by something in the main repos.

EDIT: upon looking closer ruby_protobuf and coffee-script-git are aur-only, do those fail to build from the aur?

Looking at things, they might need older nodejs version, coffee-script and their dependencies are in AUR, ruby_protobuf and ruby-less (and their dependencies) seem to be orphaned packages on AUR....

#4 2012-11-12 16:50:17

Trilby
Forum Moderator
Website

I tried building this - it took quite a while so each iteration fixing one little problem ended up taking a while and I quit.

I do think I got all the dependencies, though, most from the main repos and just the two AUR packages.  I didn't notice that ruby_protobuf was orphaned - it did build and install successfully.  If it is just orphaned, but functional, you could potentially pick that one up to.

InterrobangSlider
• How's my coding? See this page.
• How's my moderating? Feel free to email any concerns, complaints, or objections.

#5 2012-11-13 05:27:22

coffeemug

Hi All, Slava @ rethinkdb here. I don't think there are Arch people here, but we'd be happy to help with portability as much as we can (considering a huge list of things we have to do). Is there anything I can do to help make the porting process easier?

#6 2012-11-15 16:33:01

gnud

A first attempt at a PKGBUILD is at https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/rethinkdb/ (EDIT: Please forget about the gist URL that was here before - had a couple of stupid errors)

Issues:

• I don't list less, coffee-script and ruby_protobuf in makedepends, since I myself install them through npm, npm and gem respectively.

• No proper init script (and I don't even delete the supplied one)

• Some hackery to use the normal protobuf package (link against the shared library, instead of static linking)

Last edited by gnud (2012-11-15 18:15:55)

Board footer