You are not logged in.

#2801 2012-11-10 16:34:35

saz

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

Morn wrote:

Saz, if all the advice you got at the time was that it should just work by plugging the cable in, then clearly you were given bad advice. My advice would have been to boot the long-term support kernel (linux-lts) and see if Ethernet works. Networking and power saving capabilities of the Linux kernel seem to strongly depend on which kernel version you are using and they break and unbreak all the time. Sad but true…

So find a kernel version that works for you and then put "IgnorePkg   = linux linux-api-headers" in "/etc/pacman.conf". (I'm using 3.5.6 BTW.) Unfortunately the kernel is the least stable component of Arch right now and that one that is most likely to be broken in my experience with Arch so far. Even the web browsers are pillars of stability by comparison. I haven't yet had to downgrade a single other package except the kernel.

that would've been pretty good advice indeed. anyway it's been over 3 years, and the problem is long gone, but since i came back to arch and got access to the forums again, I just thought i should apologize for my very stupid behavior and try to start things fresh, that's why I posted in the "Hello Everyone" thread as if I had just started using Arch smile

#2802 2012-11-10 16:48:46

Morn

That particular problem you had might have been solved by now, but nasty kernel issues and regressions related to power saving and networking in particular still abound I'm afraid. The 3.6 series has been a particular nightmare thus far. So tread very, very carefully when getting back into Arch, lest you get bitten by another kernel bug! wink

That said, welcome back to Arch of course. smile

Last edited by Morn (2012-11-10 16:53:21)

#2803 2012-11-10 22:24:37

10PinkPanther

Hello everyone!

I installed Arch three days ago for the first time and it's my only OS now.I am new to computers(with 36 years smile) ,being using it for eight months.First couple of months I was using windows then I switched to Linux.Tried many distros but Arch is something special.And I'm proud that I was able to get everything working,except some wireless issues.
Greetings from Croatia!

#2804 2012-11-11 05:10:25

kinleyd

Newbie here @saz, but welcome back. Nice story. A person who has a heart big enough to say sorry and thank you for past goodness from the community is in my list of good things. :)

#2805 2012-11-11 05:39:08

lmello

Hi people!

I'm a Slacker. I have found Arch a wonderful and simple distro to install GNOME in because I actually feel more comfortable with it and there have been improvements since the first 3.0 came out. I also need it to keep up-to-date a server-client 'test laboratory' big_smile Anyway I feel at home since the Slack and Arch flavors don't do the dreadful library/header package split. It's the way it should be.

Fundamental Axiom of the Universe (aka Murphy's Law): Whatever can go wrong, will go wrong.
First Digital Deduction: Nothing obeys Murphy's Law so well as computers.
Second Digital Deduction: Everything go wrong at least once.
Third Digital Deduction: Things go wrong even when there's absolutely no possibility of anything go wrong.

#2806 2012-11-11 12:42:56

FSMaxB

Hello people,

I'm a sudent of electrical engineering (if this is the right english translation of the german "Elektro- und Informationstechnik") and just started trying archlinux. As to my experience until now, I will have much to learn to be able using arch without having a ubuntu on a second partition for tasks which I am not able to do with arch. But I'm confident that with the help of you guys and the arch-wiki I'll become more familiar with the system and am, finally, going to have my first distro which is fully configured to my liking.

#2807 2012-11-11 15:46:06

nomorewindows

Morn wrote:

That particular problem you had might have been solved by now, but nasty kernel issues and regressions related to power saving and networking in particular still abound I'm afraid. The 3.6 series has been a particular nightmare thus far. So tread very, very carefully when getting back into Arch, lest you get bitten by another kernel bug! wink

That said, welcome back to Arch of course. smile

Diamonds are forever:  Dr. Tynan sent us, he's been bitten by the bug!

I may have to CONSOLE you about your usage of ridiculously easy graphical interfaces...
Look ma, no mouse.

#2808 2012-11-11 16:32:05

ewaller
Administrator

FSMaxB wrote:

Hello people,

I'm a sudent of electrical engineering (if this is the right english translation of the german "Elektro- und Informationstechnik") and just started trying archlinux.

Translation is perfect.  (But, as a hint to non-native speakers, I would capitalize words such as English, German, Archlinux and other proper nouns)

Have fun with Euler, Laplace, Maxwell, Fourier and Faraday tongue

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#2809 2012-11-11 20:20:41

roddur

Hi,
I am new reader of arch, considering using it, instead of my long time friend, fedora!

#2810 2012-11-11 23:20:32

lmello

ewaller wrote:
FSMaxB wrote:

Hello people,

I'm a sudent of electrical engineering (if this is the right english translation of the german "Elektro- und Informationstechnik") and just started trying archlinux.

Translation is perfect.  (But, as a hint to non-native speakers, I would capitalize words such as English, German, Archlinux and other proper nouns)

Have fun with Euler, Laplace, Maxwell, Fourier and Faraday tongue

Yeah, and happy soldering and burning your fingers too. That's the best part wink I'm on my way towards a Master in Electronics' scholarship.

Fundamental Axiom of the Universe (aka Murphy's Law): Whatever can go wrong, will go wrong.
First Digital Deduction: Nothing obeys Murphy's Law so well as computers.
Second Digital Deduction: Everything go wrong at least once.
Third Digital Deduction: Things go wrong even when there's absolutely no possibility of anything go wrong.

#2811 2012-11-12 22:23:30

enor

Hi every one!

I recently found out about Arch and I am running it from my external USB-hard drive. I am impressed! I strongly consider to let it in. It is faster and runs smoother than Slackware 14, which resides on sda1. I am using it for my old lap-top, Dell D-600, which still might have a life. :-)

Best regards from Sweden

#2812 2012-11-13 05:49:24

Jcrash

Hello all!  I'm so happy that I made it past the security question!

I ran it in Cygwin and Terminal Emulator on my Nexus 7: both got rejected.

It's funny...I was able to install Arch and boot from UEFI but that's what held me up...

Making the transition from M$ takes some work but it's an eye opening experience. cool

#2813 2012-11-13 14:45:21

sedutom

Hi everyone!

I've been on arch for more than a year now but I haven't posted a lot on this forum yet.
Just a brief presentation, I'm a newly graduated PhD student in geophysics. I've worked a lot on linux during my studies but I've played with it since I was 12, my first linux distribution was a red hat with the brand new 2.0 kernel somewhere around 1996 wink.
I'm quite of a huge fan of rolling distribution, I've spent many years on Debian testing and Gentoo.
I enjoy arch as it is highly configurable and quite easy to learn with the wiki. Hope to talk to you later in the forum.

#2814 2012-11-13 17:45:04

jmac12

Hi Everyone,

I'm glad to say that I'm really comfortable in the terminal now thanks to Arch. I've been trying different distros and desktop environments since I built this computer (my first build) and now I couldn't be happier. Also, since others are including their education, I'm studying Nuclear Engineering. I hope to learn a lot more and help out when I can.

#2815 2012-11-14 09:27:45

475m9

I decided to cut my Linux teeth, if you will, on the road less traveled by... thus here I am. I have been reading the wikis and I'm currently working my way through a base install. So far I have been able to find everything I need with a bit of searching, some reading, and a lot of re reading. This probably goes without saying, but I would like to remind you that this is a wonderful resource that you have all assembled. Coming from a largely Windows based history I have been able to follow along without too much trouble. A most hearty thank you. When it come time that I feel I need to ask a question I have confidence that the Arch community will help me learn along the way. I have had a few missteps, but I learn from every one. Let the journey continue.

Last edited by 475m9 (2012-11-14 09:29:05)

#2816 2012-11-14 10:43:38

Morn

475m9 wrote:

I decided to cut my Linux teeth, if you will, on the road less traveled

According to Distrowatch.com, Arch is now firmly in the Top Ten of Linux distributions, so it's actually more mainstream than you think. smile

#2817 2012-11-14 12:31:27

_jumi_

Just built a computer for the first time and installed Arch for the first time. Kde in Arch repos seems to be the best working KDE I have ever used. Switched to Arch from Debian Squeeze because the kernel (3.2 in backports) would probably have been too old for my hardware. Everything seems fast and stable so far.

#2818 2012-11-14 14:28:34

WonderWoofy

@_jumi_, it is nice when everything is up to date isn't it?  I find that with Arch things tend to be pretty darn stable once they hit the main repos.  (except gnome at the moment, though I don't use this.  I just assume they have issues from the millions of gnome3.6 issues in the forums) 

@475m9, it is good to see a Linux noob learning their way through Linux by actually reading documentation.  Keep that up and I am sure that any help you summon around here will be met with much acceptance.

#2819 2012-11-15 01:07:16

CasualTea

Hello everyone!

I'm a seventeen year old from Canada, and a relatively inexperienced Linux user. I've used Linux on and off for a while now, jumping between the more beginner friendly distributions, but I've never really delved beneath the surface.

My first experience with Linux was when I was maybe twelve and decided that I wanted to revive an unusable eMachine with something quicker than the bogged-down XP, so that I could have my first personal computer. I remember live booting MEPIS  from a CD and thinking that I had permanently installed Linux! Needless to say, I was very impressed with the speed and simplicity of the install! Anyway, I did quickly realize my error, and I felt pretty foolish about making such a silly mistake, but it was an early opportunity to realize the importance of researching before doing.

I've used Linux a fair bit since then, but my install of Arch three days ago was the first time I've used a distribution that isn't ready out of the box. I decided to try it out while bored on the weekend, and was very impressed and surprised with the straightforwardness of the install process, as well as the comprehensive nature of the wiki and forums. I love the fact that I get to spend my time configuring my system as I want it rather than undoing unwanted configurations, removing unwanted software and struggling to find my way around a system that I had little say in setting up. I've usually been quite a restless user, switching often between distros, but I think that the simple, highly customizable nature of Arch might just quell my wanderlust! In short, I already feel quite at home. smile

Last edited by CasualTea (2012-11-15 06:15:52)

#2820 2012-11-15 04:32:09

linda02

Hi, all!

Last edited by linda02 (2013-06-30 18:58:41)

#2821 2012-11-16 10:49:16

wangyilong

Hello everybody,

I have just installed a fresh Archlinux on my Laptop.

I was previously runnning on LinuxMint 12, but I pretty much hated it, since I had no control on what was going on, that's the reason I switched to ArchLinux.

Hopefully, it's going to be a better Linux-experience.

See ya later on the forum!!

#2822 2012-11-16 13:13:24

mangatmodi

Hi Everybody

I am Mangat from India. I have been using Linux from last 5 years. I have used Fedora primarily. I recently moved to Arch as I want better control and understanding of the system.
I hope to enjoy with you all here.

Thank You

#2823 2012-11-16 17:46:49

illusionist

Hello mangat. Welcome to the board. I am sure you will stick with arch once you get the grip.

Last edited by illusionist (2012-11-16 17:50:03)

Never argue with stupid people,They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.--Mark Twain
@github

#2824 2012-11-16 20:46:22

kd_alex

Hello all! I used to dabble around with Linux a little, but finally asked a friend what I should use to try and learn some. He highly recommended Arch. I have to say I am still working towards a smooth boot process at the moment on my HP laptop, but the couple day ride has been very fun and I have learned a ton. The wiki is great and the community seems even better.

As a side note I am a Mechanical Engineer and love HP Lovecraft stories if we have any other great old ones out there.

Looking forward to learning more. Thanks for all the help in advance!

“Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.” - Oscar Wilde

#2825 2012-11-17 01:11:11

deca

Hello all you incredibly sexy people.

Hi there.

Board footer