You are not logged in.

#1 2012-11-02 01:51:17

leonardof

[solved]us-intl keyboard layout misbehaves after updating to GNOME 3.6

I use the "English (international with dead keys)" keyboard layout variant, but part of it stopped working after updating to GNOME 3.6. Most compositions work flawlessly, e.g. ' + a = á (a acute). But ' + c now equals ć (c acute), while it used to be ç (c cedilha). I can only get ç (c cedilha) by typing AltGr + , (comma), which is a new combination for me.

This behavior departs from my two decades experience with this keyboard layout as well as from the "us-acentos" keymap (in the kbd package), but curiously it is consistent with what I read at the "symbols/us" file in the xkeyboard-config package.

My first impulse was to blame the ibus integration. Actually, if I right click a text box in a GTK+ application, click "Input methods" and then "IBUS", the issue is solved! Or at least that that particular text box, not for all of my applications. And I can only do that for GTK+ applications, not e.g. Firefox.

I'd like to know if the '+c=ç combination stopped working for other us_intl keyboard layout variant users, and what did you do to fix it.

I'd be very interested in knowing as well what went wrong, but please no guessing, and certainly no flamewars please.

Last edited by leonardof (2012-11-16 19:04:36)

#2 2012-11-03 02:16:25

leonardof

Re: [solved]us-intl keyboard layout misbehaves after updating to GNOME 3.6

I just found out yet another configuration file:

/usr/share/X11/locale/pt_BR.UTF-8/Compose wrote:

<dead_acute> <c>        : "ç" ccedilla # LATIN SMALL LETTER C WITH CEDILLA

I guess that explains why, until now, I got ç by pressing '+c with us_intl. What it doesn't explain is what happened with the GNOME 3.6 upgrade.

#3 2012-11-15 10:20:21

cotti

Hi there.

I just installed gnome (to use Cinnamon) and I faced the exactly same issue. I used "pure X" with AwesomeWM before, so I lost a few strings of hair after losing the keyboard again - I only managed to make them work reliably after fully changing Arch to a pt_BR locale.

I got lucky and found a few emails in gnome mailing list. By the name, I think it is actually you, is it?

If it is, thank you for reporting the issue and helping bring a solution. Anyway, I'll post it here, so it can reach more people with the same issue.

"First of all, install the ibus package if you still don't have it:

pacman -S ibus

then, edit as root the /etc/environment file, adding the following at the end of the file:

GTK_IM_MODULE=cedilla

Restart your session, and it should work."

#4 2012-11-16 19:04:15

leonardof

Cotti, the Cedilla is considered a hack by some people (sorry if I'm too lazy to look again for the references), but using "GTK_IM_MODULE=ibus" in ~/.profile did the trick. Apparently the announced integration of ibus to GTK+ doesn't work without users editing their configuration files, at least in Arch LInux!...

#5 2012-11-16 20:03:16

leonardof

I submitted a bug report to Arch Linux: https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/32716

Board footer