You are not logged in.

#1 2012-11-16 21:28:48

jeff story
Website

Forum Login Times Out Too Fast ..... Posting Long Reply Lost

Is it possible to look into extendind the time that one has to create a post?

Example: Take time to write a detailed post, hit submit button, sent to a login screen with all the writing unretrievable.

This is VERY annoying to say the least.

Last edited by jeff story (2012-11-16 21:51:08)

Check out my website for info on the Arch Linux Installer

#2 2012-11-16 22:07:16

litemotiv
Forum Fellow

Re: Forum Login Times Out Too Fast ..... Posting Long Reply Lost

Sounds like a problem on your end, the forum gives you a 2 week session by default i think.

Do you block cookies in your browser perhaps?

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

#3 2012-11-16 22:35:53

bernarcher
Forum Fellow

Not exactly a solution, but: I made it a habit to write longer texts in a separate editor (vim in my case) and then copy it into the forum posting field to submit it.

To know or not to know ...
... the questions remain forever.

#4 2012-11-16 22:44:53

jeff story
Website

Using Firefox 16
accept cookies from sites enabled
accept third party cookies  enabled
keep cookies until they expire

bernarcher wrote:

Not exactly a solution, but: I made it a habit to write longer texts in a separate editor (vim in my case) and then copy it into the forum posting field to submit it.

GOOD ADVISE bernarcher

I told myself to do this last time I spent 1+ hr on my wordpress website, to be timed out and whole detailed article was lost!

However, I don't believe I spent more than around 10-15 min here typing a reply when I was timed out.

EDIT TO ADD: i read a post here today where the poster mentioned the same thing happened to him in his reply. Thats what motivated me to post this.

Last edited by jeff story (2012-11-16 22:47:14)

#5 2012-11-16 22:51:57

alphaniner

Do you check 'log me in automatically' when you login?  IIRC I used to have the same problem, but checking that box resolved it.

But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist.
-Lysander Spooner

#6 2012-11-16 23:20:48

jeff story
Website

alphaniner, Checking this option out, It was not checked, so I checked it. Logged out, closed FF, reopened and logged in again, but it the box didn't keep the check setting. Tried a few more times to verify.

It seems that the auto login option should have nothing to do with the "timer", but checking this has brought to my attention something seems wrong on my end now.

I use lastpass FF extension, a free on line UN and PW manager https://lastpass.com/ . It kind of takes over this function from FF. I'm thinking this may be why FF is not keeping the "log me in automatically" setting.

But again, forum mods, why would this change the login timer and do you have any other diagnosis for me to try or see an easy solution based on what is currently known?  As I pointed out in the #4, I see I'm not the only one with this issue.

EDIT TO ADD INFO: Disabled lastpass extension for testing. Same behavior, will not retain auto login setting.

Last edited by jeff story (2012-11-16 23:53:57)

#7 2012-11-17 00:17:39

ewaller
Administrator

I have lost my share of posts as well smile  I either copy the text in the post box just before I hit the post button.  Also, if I know I have stepped away, I open a second tab, login, flip back to the first tab, then post.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#8 2012-11-17 07:37:30

T.J.S.

I'm pretty sure that in most browsers, if you hit the back button (or backspace) you return to your previous screen with your composed text intact. It's actually a cached page from your browser, which is primarily used for speed purposes.
Then you can open a new tab and login, or copy the text and paste it back when you have logged in.

But now that I think about it, this may be dependant on the web server as well, which may or not provide "cache" options.

edit. Tested it and it works for this post. smile
I actually chose to move with the back button 2 pages back (by holding the back button, which then pops a menu), because of the "middle" page with the redirection.

Last edited by T.J.S. (2012-11-17 07:41:11)

#9 2012-11-17 08:31:19

x33a
Forum Fellow

litemotiv wrote:

Sounds like a problem on your end, the forum gives you a 2 week session by default i think.

Do you block cookies in your browser perhaps?

I think it is 15 minutes, without any activity, at least in my case.

#10 2012-11-17 09:07:34

Awebb

To put some color on the shed myself, I can start typing a text, spend the weekend elsewhere and return monday night, hit send and everything is fine. However, I'd also suggest using a clipboard manager and copy long posts before sending them. One would think that "the internet" is quirk-free after so many years, but who are we to judge?

#11 2012-11-19 17:57:50

anonymous_user

If you use Firefox, another workaround is to use the Lazarus extension:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo … src=search

Board footer