You are not logged in.

#1 2012-11-17 15:15:03

mcmlxxxvi

Compile issues with cross-mipsel-linux-gnu-gcc

I'm trying to set up some sort of cross-compilation environment in order to compile software for a MIPS device.

I installed cross-mipsel-linux-gnu-gcc (4.7.2-1) along with cross-mipsel-linux-gnu-binutils (2.22-1). Then I tried to compile a simple Hello World, and the result was as follows:

[mcmlxxxvi@deepspace1 hello-world]$ cat hello.c 
#include <stdio.h>

int main()
{
	printf("Hello World!\n");
	return 0;
}
[mcmlxxxvi@deepspace1 hello-world]$ mipsel-linux-gnu-gcc hello.c 
hello.c:1:19: fatal error: stdio.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
[mcmlxxxvi@deepspace1 hello-world]$ mipsel-linux-gnu-gcc hello.c  -I/usr/include
/usr/lib/cross-mipsel-linux-gnu/lib/gcc/mipsel-linux-gnu/4.7.2/../../../../mipsel-linux-gnu/bin/ld: cannot find crt1.o: No such file or directory
/usr/lib/cross-mipsel-linux-gnu/lib/gcc/mipsel-linux-gnu/4.7.2/../../../../mipsel-linux-gnu/bin/ld: cannot find crti.o: No such file or directory
/usr/lib/cross-mipsel-linux-gnu/lib/gcc/mipsel-linux-gnu/4.7.2/../../../../mipsel-linux-gnu/bin/ld: cannot find crtbegin.o: No such file or directory
/usr/lib/cross-mipsel-linux-gnu/lib/gcc/mipsel-linux-gnu/4.7.2/../../../../mipsel-linux-gnu/bin/ld: cannot find -lgcc
/usr/lib/cross-mipsel-linux-gnu/lib/gcc/mipsel-linux-gnu/4.7.2/../../../../mipsel-linux-gnu/bin/ld: cannot find -lc
/usr/lib/cross-mipsel-linux-gnu/lib/gcc/mipsel-linux-gnu/4.7.2/../../../../mipsel-linux-gnu/bin/ld: cannot find -lgcc
/usr/lib/cross-mipsel-linux-gnu/lib/gcc/mipsel-linux-gnu/4.7.2/../../../../mipsel-linux-gnu/bin/ld: cannot find crtend.o: No such file or directory
/usr/lib/cross-mipsel-linux-gnu/lib/gcc/mipsel-linux-gnu/4.7.2/../../../../mipsel-linux-gnu/bin/ld: cannot find crtn.o: No such file or directory
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status

I know I generally need a compatible glibc build, but a) there isn't a package pre-built for MIPS as the compiler, and b) there is no mention of glibc in either gcc or binutils' AUR pages. So I thought that these two packages were somehow supposed to be sufficient - and they aren't.

I found a tutorial on setting up cross-compilation for MIPS and I tried to build libc, but as I used the gcc and bunutils AUR pacakges instead of going straight for the source, and, probably, as the tutorial is geared towards slightly older versions, I did not succeed. configure produced only a config.log and I wasn't able to make.

So, how are cross-mipsel-linux-gnu-gcc and cross-mipsel-linux-gnu-binutils supposed to be used? How do I need to set up my environment in order to be able to invoke the MIPS gcc the same way as my regular gcc?

Thanks in advance.

Board footer