You are not logged in.

#1 2005-10-19 08:57:57

pjezek

Two problems after kernel upgrade to 2.6.13

After upgrading the new kernel and rebooting the system failed loading modules trying load them from the old directory /lib/modules/2.6.10-ARCH. I checked all config files, compared those with .pacnew to those withhout,  kept my config as it was and deleted "files.*.pacnew". After the next reboot LILO froze with "archEBDA is big" message.

1. How can I boot to be able to do needed cure?
2. Where was the problem? My idea is that I forgot run LILO before reboot (some old messages say LILO must run after any changes to remember the current config, otherwise it can be confused after reboot.

Than you for you tips what to do now. I have got my BaseCD with Wombat.

Our tomcat for your mice! Archlinux for your comps! Alfa Romeo for your roads! Faster running guaranted!

#2 2005-10-19 09:08:10

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: Two problems after kernel upgrade to 2.6.13

There is a guide on the wiki for if you forget to run lilo

forgot to run lilo

#3 2005-10-20 10:43:52

pjezek

Thank you Thedibblewrecker, the cure described in the link you place here is fully functional. Why not place it to FAQ or HowTos? Seems to be a matter of common use when upgrading the packages invoking *.pacnew files...

Nevertheless, I still suffer from understanding of why bootloader (only LILO ot the both?) don´t work after no visible change in config text files? This turns Archlinux doing the same ¨coverish¨ changes in config as GUI config utilities do in the mainstrean distros... Is there a simple explanation of that? Thanks again!

Our tomcat for your mice! Archlinux for your comps! Alfa Romeo for your roads! Faster running guaranted!

#4 2005-10-20 16:24:35

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

pjezek wrote:

Thank you Thedibblewrecker, the cure described in the link you place here is fully functional. Why not place it to FAQ or HowTos? Seems to be a matter of common use when upgrading the packages invoking *.pacnew files...

When you upgrade the kernel, a message is printed on the terminal to remind lilo users to run lilo. Perhaps you missed it...

pjezek wrote:

Nevertheless, I still suffer from understanding of why bootloader (only LILO ot the both?) don´t work after no visible change in config text files? This turns Archlinux doing the same ¨coverish¨ changes in config as GUI config utilities do in the mainstrean distros... Is there a simple explanation of that? Thanks again!

That's because lilo put a copy of the kernel in the master boot record (maybe it's somewhere else :? ) so eache time you update the kernel (or lilo.conf) you need to rerun lilo.  grub doesn't need to be rerun after kernel upgrade because it works differently. That all I know about how these bootloaders works. To get more precision, do a google search.

#5 2005-10-20 16:47:13

Gullible Jones

A bit of advice: next time, use GRUB!

#6 2005-10-21 11:26:41

pjezek

Thank you for explanations and advices.

To the latter (use Grub instead Lilo)

When I tried to upgrade kernel for the first time, I were using Grub as a default option in the installation process. Grub failed after reboot - it was not able find a root partition (I left all config files either with or without .pacnew unchanged after upgrade). I have been using Udev until Wombat BaseCD installation...

#7 2005-10-22 03:06:33

cs25x

grub is more user friendly than lilo, after you get it working. The best way to setup grub first time, without breaking your computer is to use a floppy as the boot device and install grub on that. Then, after it works the way you want, install it on your HD. There are instructions on how to do that somewhere, I think the grub homepage ? it couldeven be on the grub man page ? I just flicked thru that & cant see it so I guess grub home page is where it is.

--(*(cs25x--));

#8 2005-10-22 21:00:35

cs25x

:idea: install webmin and use that to setup grub. :idea: win win

--(*(cs25x--));

Board footer