You are not logged in.

#1 2012-11-18 04:46:57

jc-kakashi

[SOLVED]Cannot startx in Vmware player

Hi all, I decided to use vmware player to simplify getting a arch linux install running that was customized completely to my needs, and then load it onto either live cd/installer or persistent usb/installer.

However, I am stuck on trying to get a basic xorg environment running. When I run startx as a non-root user, I get "/etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc: line 5: /usr/bin/X: No such file or directory
The last thing I did was follow the vmware arch linux install guide which had me uninstall some xorg stuff and replace it with vmware equivalents. (removing xorg-server and instaling sf86-video-vmware).

I (for some reason) was under the impression that guest os's had essentially direct access to hardware, and that having an amd gpu, I should install catalyst-hook like I usually would on a hd based setup. Should that work, or do I have to use a vmware driver till i get this onto a usb?

Last edited by jc-kakashi (2012-11-21 04:16:20)

#2 2012-11-18 05:29:46

ewaller
Administrator

Re: [SOLVED]Cannot startx in Vmware player

jc-kakashi wrote:

When I run startx as a non-root user, I get "/etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc: line 5: /usr/bin/X: No such file or directory
The last thing I did was follow the vmware arch linux install guide which had me uninstall some xorg stuff and replace it with vmware equivalents. (removing xorg-server and instaling sf86-video-vmware).

Those do not provide the same functions.  You need xorg-server.

I (for some reason) was under the impression that guest os's had essentially direct access to hardware, and that having an amd gpu, I should install catalyst-hook like I usually would on a hd based setup.

The VM does not have direct access to GPU.   VMs can provide acceleration, but the guest OS does not use the native driver, they use the driver specific to the VM.  The VM translates to the native hardware.  The guest OS should run on the VM, regardless of the iron on which host OS ir running.

Should that work, or do I have to use a vmware driver till i get this onto a usb?

No, it will not work inside a VM.  Wait.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2012-11-18 06:01:14

jc-kakashi

ewaller wrote:

Those do not provide the same functions.  You need xorg-server.

Ok, when I try and install xorg-server, it throws the same thing it did when I tried to install "xf86-video-vmware", which is "xorg-server and xf86-video-vmware are in conflict. Remove xf860video-vmware?"
What do I do here? The arch wiki for vmware said that as part of configuring xorg, you install that package, but what is the point if it conflicts with xorg-server? Thanks for the help. I will get everything bar graphics drivers sorted till I put it on a usb drive, have a usb3 16gb that I plan to load arch linux onto. What packages do I need for generic drivers that will give me a basic xorg display on most hardware? I don't need compiz etc but I appreciate more than a terminal.

Edit: I installed xorg-server and removed the vmware package, and when I run startx I get "(WW) Warning, couldn't open module vmware" and "(EE) failed to load module "vmware" (module does not exist, 0)" and "(EE) No drivers available." in the log file.

Last edited by jc-kakashi (2012-11-18 06:03:38)

#4 2012-11-20 04:17:10

jc-kakashi

Bump

#5 2012-11-20 17:27:04

Jeffhunt90

Try pacman -S xterm
I think  there is an error in the documentation. X does not load with enough support to start. Worked for me.

#6 2012-11-21 02:52:15

jc-kakashi

As part of the beginners guide I installed a basic X environment including xterm. The problem I am having is that X won't start without a working graphics driver, and the vmware graphics driver won't install unless I remove xorg.

#7 2012-11-21 03:26:09

anonymous_user

What version of xorg-server do you have? The conflict should only be for versions lower than 1.13.0.

conflicts=('xorg-server<1.13.0' 'X-ABI-VIDEODRV_VERSION<13' 'X-ABI-VIDEODRV_VERSION>=14')

#8 2012-11-21 03:38:43

jc-kakashi

What is the command to see the version of an installed package? I have used debian/suse a lot more than arch wink

#9 2012-11-21 03:41:11

anonymous_user

pacman -Q xorg-server

#10 2012-11-21 04:14:19

jc-kakashi

Thanks, I was on xorg 12 because the latest catalyst breaks with 13, once I uncommented that custom repo from my pacman.conf and updated everything was cool. Ill just uncomment it and downgrade x, uninstall vmware stuff when I move this install onto my usb.
Thanks for the help!

#11 2012-11-23 15:27:43

NlightNFotis
Website

jc-kakashi wrote:

Bump

Please note that bumping threads is against the forums rules.

anonymous_user wrote:
pacman -Q xorg-server

Was wondering about the same command the other day too.

Last edited by NlightNFotis (2012-11-23 15:29:06)

Google+ | Github

Hacking: Those who can...do. Those who can't...complain.

Board footer