You are not logged in.

#1 2012-11-18 08:08:30

Los Frijoles

Wine won't load gui applications...no display found?

I am running KDE (I recently switched from Gnome) and today I was going to try some experimentation with wine. However, when I tried to open an application from the command line (using gnome-terminal probably...Konsole doesn't load for me and I haven't investigated enough to find out why) I got the following:

kcuzner@kcuzner-desktop:/run/media/kcuzner/My Book/My Documents/winpicpr$ wine WinPicSetup.exe 
Maximum number of clients reachedMaximum number of clients reachedMaximum number of clients reachedMaximum number of clients reachedApplication tried to create a window, but no driver could be loaded.
Make sure that your X server is running and that $DISPLAY is set correctly.
err:systray:initialize_systray Could not create tray window
Maximum number of clients reachedApplication tried to create a window, but no driver could be loaded.
Maximum number of clients reachedApplication tried to create a window, but no driver could be loaded.
fixme:win:DisableProcessWindowsGhosting : stub
kcuzner@kcuzner-desktop:/run/media/kcuzner/My Book/My Documents/winpicpr$

Has anyone ever seen this before and know what to do? All this used to work, but I don't remember the last time I actually had to use wine and since it was several months ago its entirely likely I've never had a reason to use it on arch yet (I was using Ubuntu before).

#2 2012-11-18 17:06:17

Nixie

Re: Wine won't load gui applications...no display found?

I downloaded and tried running that program in wine and it started up with no probs, didn't run through the whole install but it did not throw up any errors in the terminal.

Do you have a 64-bit system? If so have you installed the equivalent 32-bit graphics driver packages that wine requires? Might be that without the correct 32-bit packages wine cannot connect to the x server properly.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wi … cs_Drivers

If that's not the problem maybe this page I've linked to below might give some hints to help steer your search further towards a solution:-

http://sourcelibrary.org/2011/07/16/lin … be-loaded/

#3 2012-11-19 04:52:02

Max-P

Your Konsole problem and the wine one might be related.

Maximum number of clients reached

This part gets my attention. It looks like Wine tries to connect to X and X refuses the connection because there are too many clients. It repeats a few times, maybe Wine has multiple X drivers or the driver retries a few times because giving up. After that, the Wine driver returns an error, and it displays a generic message asking you if $DISPLAY is set correctly OR if the X server is running at all.

Did you play with exotic settings in X or some rlimit things? Do you have many windows open?

#4 2012-11-20 17:28:10

Los Frijoles

@Max-P: I noticed yesterday that suddenly my programs stopped opening. At the time I was trying to run Kicad and it didn't load. I then tried through the command line and it gave me that same error. I then tried to do xlsclients and see how many there were and it couldn't even tell me. I ended up restarting kdm and it started working again (and I could load my WinPicSetup.exe trough wine just fine).

Here is the weird part: After restarting kdm I listed the number of x clients and it said I had 119 clients. I had chrome, guake terminal, and dolphin running. I then stopped kdm and just did startx (which I have configured to load xfce...I put it there after gnome blew up one day and I wanted a fallback desktop environment before installing kde). In xfce, the number of clients was just 24 with the same programs open (except using thunar instead of dolphin). Does anyone know why KDE would be using what I would consider to be excessive numbers of clients?

EDIT: Here are the clients: http://pastebin.com/5Xg1URzL

There are a ridiculous number of plasma-desktop connections even though pidof plasma-desktop returns only one process. There are 79 plasma-desktop connections...

Last edited by Los Frijoles (2012-11-20 23:15:01)

#5 2012-11-21 23:33:55

Max-P

Los Frijoles wrote:

@Max-P: I noticed yesterday that suddenly my programs stopped opening. At the time I was trying to run Kicad and it didn't load. I then tried through the command line and it gave me that same error. I then tried to do xlsclients and see how many there were and it couldn't even tell me. I ended up restarting kdm and it started working again (and I could load my WinPicSetup.exe trough wine just fine).

Here is the weird part: After restarting kdm I listed the number of x clients and it said I had 119 clients. I had chrome, guake terminal, and dolphin running. I then stopped kdm and just did startx (which I have configured to load xfce...I put it there after gnome blew up one day and I wanted a fallback desktop environment before installing kde). In xfce, the number of clients was just 24 with the same programs open (except using thunar instead of dolphin). Does anyone know why KDE would be using what I would consider to be excessive numbers of clients?

EDIT: Here are the clients: http://pastebin.com/5Xg1URzL

There are a ridiculous number of plasma-desktop connections even though pidof plasma-desktop returns only one process. There are 79 plasma-desktop connections...

Each module and applet of Plasma probably opens its own display. Try adding a widget or two on the desktop, the number of clients will probably increase. Delete them and it will probably decrease.

Only a guess thought, I don't know KDE's internals at all. I think X can handle much more clients than that, probably something like 512, 1024 or even higher. It might be a process that went wrong and tried to connect to X in a loop without disconnecting, filling the connection poll.

Board footer