You are not logged in.

#1 2012-11-15 16:44:43

T.J.S.

nvidia-settings fail to load config file.

So basically nothing happens when I do this:

$ nvidia-settings -l

although I have changed the .nvidia-settings-rc with new gamma values.

I have tried with the --config switch; all the possible permissions; running it as root. Nothing works.
It only works when I launch the nvidia-settings application, which automatically loads the config file apparently.

It used to work a while back, before I had to reinstall Arch in my new hdd, but I guess something is messed up in the new version of the nvidia drivers.

#2 2012-11-15 17:32:55

felixculpa

Re: nvidia-settings fail to load config file.

I wasn't even aware of a nvidia config (rc) file. I have been launching nvidia-settings through the .xinitrc file at boot, which seems to load the settings I set, as you indicate it does for you as well. Is there a reason you would not want to do the same thing - launch it through xinitrc?

Last edited by felixculpa (2012-11-15 17:33:48)

#3 2012-11-15 17:45:31

T.J.S.

Avoid having to close a window after every boot? tongue

Yeah, it's not such a big deal, but it used to work without this extra step and I got spoiled. tongue

#4 2012-11-15 17:54:35

felixculpa

I'm pretty sure there is no window, unless that happens with the "-l" option? There is no window on the PC I use the xinitrc method.

#5 2012-11-15 18:22:32

T.J.S.

Oh, I see why it's not the same. I used the command in "session and startup" in XFCE, that's why the window popped up. I'll try it later in .xinitrc.
Where did you put yours in the file, before or after the "exec" command? And how do you state it?

#6 2012-11-15 19:03:47

felixculpa

if you mean by "exec" command, the command to launch xfce4 I would say before. The exec WM/DE command needs to be last in xinitrc, always. I am away from the PC with the nvidia settings until tomorrow, so I can't double check, however I believe it is something like "nvidia-settings <options> &"

Don't forget the "&" on the end of it, or your boot will hang & freeze.

Last edited by felixculpa (2012-11-15 19:04:52)

#7 2012-11-15 19:16:18

T.J.S.

I didn't know that about the .xinitrc, thanks for the info.

From your description of the command, it seems that you load your desired options/settings to nvidia-settings explicitly, while I thought that you issue a plain "nvidia-settings", which would then load all your saved settings automatically. Correct me if I'm wrong.

#8 2012-11-17 17:28:57

felixculpa

I am now unsure if this will work for you. I made a mistake, I don't have nvidia-settings set up to run in .xinitrc but in my $HOME/.config/openbox/autostart file instead.

However if you would like to try the line in that file is thus: "nvidia-settings -a InitialPixmapPlacement=2 &"

I don't have anything fancier set up for my nvidia settings, so your mileage may vary. Good luck.

#9 2012-11-17 22:05:54

T.J.S.

Thanks.
My current tentative workaround is to start nvidia-settings on xfce start, and since I also have to change the dithering depth to 8bpc (which I haven't found a way to do it from the command-line), I just close the window and then .monicarc executes so the gamma values get the proper values. (I have these two sequential commands in a script, which is executed by xfce startup program)

I'm really curious about the "InitialPixmapPlacement" that you use, I tried it with 0 value and I feel that the responsiveness of the windows is better now. How did you choose the 2 value, if I may ask? I researched a little, but I could only find comments from users, not any official description from nvidia.

#10 2012-11-18 21:29:28

felixculpa

It was on the wiki regarding Firefox and Nvidia here.

That setting is supposed to speed it up (set at 2), but now that you said a setting of 0 seems to make your windows more responsive, I might fiddle with it and see for myself. smile

Last edited by felixculpa (2012-11-18 21:33:09)

#11 2012-11-18 22:06:47

T.J.S.

The 2 value is the default value by the way. If you start your X-session without your nvidia command, you will see it:

nvidia-settings -q all | grep 'Pixmap'

I don't know how it will work out for others, but the 0 value feels the best for me, and generally the lower the value the better. (thus, 4 seems the worst)
I tried to experiment with the "PixmapCacheRoundSizeKB" attribute as well, but didn't notice any improvement, and it was kind of a letdown. sad
Oh, and firefox seems way too sluggish to even try to make it smoother, google-chrome ftw. tongue

Anyway, I think the thread gets derailed with this discussion, maybe it would be better to start a new one in a different subforum and talk about the possible nvidia settings.

edit. Ok, I just discovered that 0 value messes up my fonts in some applications. I think I'll stick with the default value.

Last edited by T.J.S. (2012-11-18 22:35:37)

#12 2012-11-25 01:35:29

felixculpa

Are you sure it is that setting that is doing that with your applications? Apparently there is a bug with xorg-common-server and xorg-server packages in combination with Nvidia GPU's that mess up fonts. I had that problem and had to downgrade from the 1.14* to 1.13* set and it solved it.

Board footer