You are not logged in.

#1 2012-11-17 20:11:55

caiocon

Gnome-shell windows becoming unresponsive

Hi everyone.

I'm an Arch with gnome user since 2008. For the last 6 months though I've been using Ubuntu to check on the new and now stable unity interface, so I can compare it with gnome-shell. Turns out, 4 days ago I reinstalled arch and came back to the brand new gnome 3.6.

Well, things are not as stable as they were when gnome 3, 3.2 and 3.4 were launched. I'm having issues like my notification bar missing randomly (although i've already found out there is a bug ticket for that), but, the most anoying problem is the fact that from time to time, aparently with no reason, all open windows become unresponsive. I can't input anything to them, either with mouse nor keyboard; I can't resize them or move them around. I can open the overview and even launch new aplications, but the new windows behave the same way. The alt+f2 shortcut doesn't work, so I can't restart the gnome-shell. The fix to that is going to tty2, login in and restart gdm (or reboot).

Is anyone else experiencing these issues? Do you have any solutions to that? Any information if it has been solved in the new 3.6.2 update yet to come to the stable repos?

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by caiocon (2012-11-17 20:13:09)

#2 2012-11-18 09:38:32

skinnyvoice

Re: Gnome-shell windows becoming unresponsive

caiocon wrote:

Is anyone else experiencing these issues? Do you have any solutions to that? Any information if it has been solved in the new 3.6.2 update yet to come to the stable repos?

Thanks for any help.

Yes, I just got this, same symptoms. No idea why though. My logs aren't telling me much

#3 2012-11-18 17:32:34

5ulo

Almost the same by me.. but I can't go to the overview.. onlyl the mouse pointer moves. I switch to tty2 and then back to shell.. after 1-2 sec everything works again... if it freezes again > tty2 > back to shel.. and so on.
when it freezes run i tty2 and take a look at the last few lines

tail -f -n 100 .cache/gdm/session.log

I have GPU hang out (intel i5).. what about you? I noticed that this happened me ONLY if I have Firefox running and mostly if there's opened tab with flash.

#4 2012-11-18 17:45:55

caiocon

Well, I tried going to tty 2 and back, and it did nothing. Also, it happens when I'm using Firefox, but I'm always doing it, so I can't tell if it is important. Also, I noticed it happens only when I have chat notifications open (and I'm actively talking to someone using it).

Today I updated gnome, now I'm waiting to see if still happens. So far, problem is gone, but I didn't use my computer time enough to know for sure.

#5 2012-11-18 17:50:21

Shark

caiocon wrote:

Hi everyone.

I'm an Arch with gnome user since 2008. For the last 6 months though I've been using Ubuntu to check on the new and now stable unity interface, so I can compare it with gnome-shell. Turns out, 4 days ago I reinstalled arch and came back to the brand new gnome 3.6.

Well, things are not as stable as they were when gnome 3, 3.2 and 3.4 were launched. I'm having issues like my notification bar missing randomly (although i've already found out there is a bug ticket for that), but, the most anoying problem is the fact that from time to time, aparently with no reason, all open windows become unresponsive. I can't input anything to them, either with mouse nor keyboard; I can't resize them or move them around. I can open the overview and even launch new aplications, but the new windows behave the same way. The alt+f2 shortcut doesn't work, so I can't restart the gnome-shell. The fix to that is going to tty2, login in and restart gdm (or reboot).

Thanks for any help.

I don't think your problem is gnome related because i am a KDE user and i experience the same freezing for about two weeks but it happens very rarely - maybe two times in week.

Last edited by Shark (2012-11-18 18:00:20)

If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put foundations under them.
Henry David Thoreau

Registered Linux User: #559057

#6 2012-11-18 17:59:13

caiocon

Shark wrote:

I don't think your problem is gnome related because i am a KDE user and i experience the same freezing for about two but it happens very rarely - maybe two times in week.

It was happening hourly here sad

#7 2012-11-18 18:01:02

Shark

caiocon wrote:
Shark wrote:

I don't think your problem is gnome related because i am a KDE user and i experience the same freezing for about two but it happens very rarely - maybe two times in week.

It was happening hourly here sad

Ouh, than it could be gnome related. What is your graphic card? Do you use proprietary/opensource drivers? Post xorg.log, gdm.log,...

Last edited by Shark (2012-11-18 18:04:03)

If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put foundations under them.
Henry David Thoreau

#8 2012-11-18 18:06:28

caiocon

Shark wrote:

Ouh, than it could be gnome related. What is your graphic card? Do you use proprietary/opensource drivers?

$ lspci | grep VGA
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)

I use Intel drivers from the official repos, i think they are open source but I don't think there is a proprietary alternative.

By the way, a few hours ago I did a pacman -Syu and gnome was updated. I waiting now to see if it happens again, but, so far, evereything is ok

#9 2012-11-18 22:40:02

5ulo

Today I had little bit different session.log.. while it hangs out, there were only these lines repeating:

info: 0, warning: 0, error: 5
Done
info: 0, warning: 0, error: 0
Done
info: 0, warning: 16, error: 92
Done
info: 0, warning: 0, error: 5
Done
info: 0, warning: 0, error: 0
Done
info: 0, warning: 16, error: 92
Done
info: 0, warning: 0, error: 1
Done

@Shark I'm on GS 3.6 with systemd and there's no xorg.log or gdm.log.. only ~/.cache/gdm/session.log . I have the same VGA as @caiocon.

#10 2012-11-19 05:59:14

Bhran
Website

I've been having the same hangs, I find a workaround, going to tty2 and execute

gnome-shell --display :0 --replace &

and everything works again...
All the same, the logs aren't telling me much, but I could isolate the issue to gnome-shell so you don't have to restart gdm and loose your session.
If someone could make any other conclusion I'll appreciate it.

#11 2012-11-19 08:55:41

Shark

Xorg log and gdm log is under location /var/log. So post the file /var/log/Xorg.0.log and /var/log/gdm.log. It would be a good idea to post .session-errors too.

Henry David Thoreau

#12 2012-11-20 13:51:22

caiocon

Ok, using gnome-shell 3.6.2 for two days now, I didn't have the unresponsive windows problems anymore. However, exactly now I had the missing notification bar problem again (I thought it was gone too), but solved it restarting gnome-shell (alt+f2 - r - enter)

#13 2012-12-10 14:14:43

Bhran
Website

I've found that if I turn off the screen (like, closing the laptop lid without sleeping) it won't turn on afterwards, it will stay off and don't even let me change tty.

#14 2013-01-19 23:48:21

LukynZ

Well I have same problem with 3.6.2.....enitire desktop area is "unclickable" except shell overview or top bar. And I hame sometimes missing message bar too.

Can you guys post your enabled extensions?

#15 2013-01-29 12:17:39

LukynZ

I've noticed that it happes very often while messaging with empathy and shell interface (pop-up notifications). Does anybody have same problem?

#16 2013-01-29 12:44:33

Maximum

Shark wrote:
caiocon wrote:

Hi everyone.

Thanks for any help.

I don't think your problem is gnome related because i am a KDE user and i experience the same freezing for about two weeks but it happens very rarely - maybe two times in week.

The same here, but i got this freezes just under gnome. Also annoying is the disappearing bar like caiocon wrote
or the black background if you open dash, which should show your desktop. Especially if u are chatting over empathy and you get no pop up messages anymore,
and can not answer until you open Chat window by yourself.. It's really sad to see gnome that buggy, cz i like this kind of shell.

Maximum

#17 2013-02-05 03:35:13

UnsolvedCypher

I'm having the same issue.
Version: 3.6.2
CPU: Intel Core i5 2400
GPU: Internal CPU
Extensions:   Coverflow alt-tab
                    Evil status icon forever
                    Message notifier
                    Remove user name
                    Cpu temperature indicator
Theme: Adwaita dark, ambiance, Fs-icons-ubuntu

My way of getting around this is by going into another TTY and restarting gdm or x.

#18 2013-02-05 08:18:37

Zygote

Same problem here.. Only happens on this machine though, so I've been suspecting the ATi drivers, since all my other systems have Nvidia cards in them.

#19 2013-02-10 04:55:45

mgzpac

Zygote wrote:

Same problem here.. Only happens on this machine though, so I've been suspecting the ATi drivers, since all my other systems have Nvidia cards in them.

No I don't think so, because it also happens to my Nvidia laptop.

#20 2013-02-10 15:53:21

zenlord
Website

Same problem here. Intel CPU + GPU. Fully up to date Archlinux 64bit. Gnome 3.6.2

Today I was working in Libreoffice as my screen froze. I kept typing for a few seconds before noticing the freeze and rebooting.

Libreoffice was able to recover my document, together with the text I had typed in those 'final seconds', so my guess is it's only the output that freezes, and not the window manager or other programs.

Logs are only complaining about Infinality fonts, but those warnings have been there for several months and the freezes only started out a couple of weeks ago. JournalCtl is empty.

#21 2013-02-12 17:29:29

hrkfdn

Same here.. It's an incredibly annoying bug and GNOME seems to have a few of them at the moment sad

Does anyone happen to know whether this occurs on other distributions as well?

#22 2013-02-17 17:51:44

zenlord
Website

@hrkfdn, nope. Sorry.

I just wanted to post that I have had a new crash today, and it has occurred to me that every crash I have encountered was while working in Libreoffice. I don't know if it is important or not.

I installed KDE for the first time and was able to finish my work in Libreoffice without crashing. I do hope Gnome figures this bug out...

#23 2013-02-26 16:05:04

NSky

This happens to me quite regularly. If someone  found the solution please post it here.
Personally I blame the Intel video driver as I saw "GPU hang..." in the logs previously.
Now the message disappeared from the logs but problem remains.

#24 2013-02-28 22:47:16

Bluerider

I always figured it was a cgroup error. The GPU only hangs for me when the system goes on idle. I figured the cgroup canceled something in gnome shell to conserve resources.

The problem can be replicated with both xf86-video-ati and xf86-video-intel drivers.

#25 2013-03-17 19:19:13

hrkfdn

In my case I seem to have narrowed down the problem..

It only seems to happen when messing with Spotify. If I ALT+F4 the Spotify window, GNOME becomes responsive again. Can anyone reproduce this?

Board footer