You are not logged in.

#1 2012-11-18 11:11:39

neok
Website

HP P1102w laserjet: cupsd test page error: "Filter failed"

Hi,

I am trying to set up my HP P1102w laserjet printer using HPLIP, in a fresh install of latest Arch. Trying to print a test page using the web interface of cupsd fails with the error message "Filter failed". Frustratingly, previously I could get the printer to work in older versions of Arch, however I don't use the printer much so don't know at what point it was spoiled.

The Administration page of cupsd shows the following:

Driver:	HP LaserJet Professional p1102w, hpcups 3.12.10a, requires proprietary plugin (color, 2-sided printing)

The printer though is a one-sided black & white laserjet, so this may be an issue

Please help

My thanks in advance

Regards

Neoklis ... Ham Radio Call: 5B4AZ

#2 2012-11-18 11:32:23

Šaran

Re: HP P1102w laserjet: cupsd test page error: "Filter failed"

Maybe you need hplip-plugin from aur.
Also try 'resume printer', just under 'print test page'.

#3 2012-11-19 12:22:12

fede

Hello,

I've been struggling with a similar issue, I got the error you report in one of my many tries. (used hplip, hplip-plugin, foo2zjs), etc.
The steps that finally solved my problem:

1. installed cups and hplip. Nothing else was needed.

2. obviously cups was up and running (as yours seems to be)

3. temporarily pointed /usr/bin/python symlink to python2.7 instead of python3
(hplip used to have all kinds of problems running under python3 and I wanted to play it safe, I bet this might still be necessary because some errors seemed to go away because of the change, but I wasn't systematic enough to determine if this was really the cause)

4. found the ip address to my printer
(I used the router's admin to reserve an IP address for the printer in the router's DHCP server so that it's always 192.168.1.107)

5. knowing this, i run in a console (note: as root):

# hp-setup -i 192.168.1.107

6. answered prompts and printer finally worked.

7. remember to restore symlink /usr/bin/python to point to /usr/bin/python3

Hope this helps!

#4 2012-11-19 15:39:00

neok
Website

fede wrote:

Hello,

I've been struggling with a similar issue, I got the error you report in one of my many tries. (used hplip, hplip-plugin, foo2zjs), etc.
The steps that finally solved my problem:
<snip>
Hope this helps!

Thank you for the detailed tips. Ironically, this is where I ended up eventually after a lot of searching and trying, except for the fact that the printer is local and on a usb connection. I used hp-setup -i 001:005, the printer address. I suspect the fault is with some filter that converts the test pages to whatever format the printer wants (postscript?). But the error message is so terse it means f-all to me...

Regards

#5 2012-11-19 20:35:12

nirvanix

I just went through this myself. It is basically as fede says. You need cups installed and running, and hplip installed. Some of the printers require a plugin (like my LaserJet 1018), and that may be why you get the message 'filter failed'. I got it too.

You have to run hp-setup to get the plugin BUT hp-setup won't run properly without a /usr/bin/python symlinked to python2.7 . Either create that symlink or as fede says, if you already have one that points to python3, delete that symlink and create a new one pointing to python2.7, and then run hp-setup. It will run fine and your printer should work.

On my other computer I have Ubuntu 12.10 and I noticed they have /usr/bin/python symlinked to python2.7 as a standard, that's why hp-setup ran correctly on it the first time. When I did a basic install of Arch recently it only installed python2, but there was no symlink of python -> python2.7 included in the package. If you install python3 (also known as python), you get the symlink of python -> python3. It's all a bit confusing, but I think if we only have python2 installed it might be a good idea to include the symlink python -> python2.7 in the package. Seems to me this confusion has been going on for a couple of years? I think I will leave my symlink python -> python2.7 in place.

Last edited by nirvanix (2012-11-20 01:20:54)

I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts...

#6 2012-12-02 08:38:38

owain

neok wrote:

But the error message is so terse it means f-all to me...

I love HP for building a low-end laser printer that has functioned for over a decade, and for enabling me to continue using it despite Windows support having died with XP, but goddam the error reporting is useless! Every time I have to install the thing, I feel like I have to perform some Masonic ritual involving eight restarts of Cups, four installations of the proprietary plugin, and several cups of tea, all in the correct order, before the gods will take pity on my plight.

#7 2012-12-02 19:00:57

neok
Website

owain wrote:
neok wrote:

But the error message is so terse it means f-all to me...

I love HP for building a low-end laser printer that has functioned for over a decade, and for enabling me to continue using it despite Windows support having died with XP, but goddam the error reporting is useless! Every time I have to install the thing, I feel like I have to perform some Masonic ritual involving eight restarts of Cups, four installations of the proprietary plugin, and several cups of tea, all in the correct order, before the gods will take pity on my plight.

Glad someone agrees with me! The thing that is driving me nuts is that it worked very well for a year but now suddenly I can't set it up because of this problem: https://bugs.launchpad.net/hplip/+bug/672134

Last edited by neok (2012-12-02 19:01:55)

Regards

Board footer