You are not logged in.

#1 2012-11-19 17:18:08

jwhendy

libreoffice upgrade error: /usr/share/icons/locolor/... already exists

In trying to upgrate libreoffice today, I get a bunch of errors about files in /usr/share/icons already existing. I checked a bunch and they weren't owned, so I started removing them using `updatedb` followed by `locate libreoffice` to track down those various icon folders and remove them. Unfortunately, the upgrade still fails with complaints about files already existing in /usr/share/icons/locolor/16x16 and ../32x32.

The problem is that /usr/share/icons/locolor is completely empty. `sudo ls -la /usr/share/icons/locolor` returns nothing, and `locate libreoffice` doesn't get any hits at that location.

Is there somewhere else pacman stores a cache or tmp file of what it thinks exists in the filesystem? I already did `pacman -Rsc libreoffice-common` and `pacman -Scc` to remove cached packages. No I'm simply trying to install fresh and I get the same errors.

This is on a computer that I haven't used in quite some time... could a skip of some intermediate version of libreoffice have caused some issues in the various icon locations or package contents? I'm stumped as to why it would think something exists that doesn't

Any suggestions?

#2 2012-11-19 18:22:49

bgc1954

Re: libreoffice upgrade error: /usr/share/icons/locolor/... already exists

I know everone always says NEVER use --force, but in this case I think it is quite a safe option...if there are no other suggestions.

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ... - Louis Hector Berlioz

#3 2012-11-19 19:53:41

Roken

Whenever I encounter this with things such as icons I simply delete the offending files and immediately install the package (which will replace them). However, I know that I have orphaned icons etc. on my system that I brought across during a preserve configuration exercise, so in my case it's usually safe to temporarilly delete them.

If you are absolutely certain that nothing else is depending on those files, you should be safe to do the same. I will caution that even if you are confident, do not try this with something more important, such as libraries etc. where you run a much greater risk of breaking something.

Ryzen 5900X 12 core/24 thread - RTX 3090 FE 24 Gb, Asus Prime B450 Plus, 32Gb Corsair DDR4, Cooler Master N300 chassis, 5 HD (1 NvME PCI, 4SSD) + 1 x optical.
Linux user #545703

#4 2012-11-19 20:22:30

jwhendy

@Roken: re-read my post to see what the problem is. I have deleted any instances of libreoffice-* inside /usr/share/icons.

The problem is that pacman is complaining about /usr/share/icons/locolor/.../libreoffice-* files that do not exist. /usr/share/icons/locolor empty and yet pacman thinks there's files in it!

Per the rest of your comment, appreciated. I practice the same -- for libreoffice, I figure without it installed, I can delete anything to do with libreoffice (I had no custom setups, templates, etc.). I wouldn't dream of it with various libraries, as you mention, without checking the Arch website of forums first.

So... how to figure out why pacman is seeing "ghost files"?

Board footer