You are not logged in.

#76 2012-11-20 06:09:01

fooblahblah

Re: MacBook Pro 2012 Retina

frigaut wrote:

Anyone got news about the microphone??? Still not working at my end. I guess I should take the time to contact the upstream devs. Anyone's got pointer on who/what mailing list to contact? Alsa? Pulseaudio? Kernel?

The latest linux-mainline fixes the microphone.  I added the following file to /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf:

options snd-hda-intel model=mbp101

Working:

• suspend

• sound

• mic

• external display

• display brightness fn key

• sound fn key

• wifi

• thunderbolt/nic adapter

Borked:

• camera - It worked on linux-3.6.6, but under linux-mainline (3.7-rc6) the uvcvideo module is missing

• keyboard backlight fn keys - although echo'ing a value to /sys/devices/platform/applesmc.768/leds/smc::kbd_backlight/brightness works

• thunderbolt - not working for me

BTW, I have an MBP 13" (macbookpro10,2)

#77 2012-11-20 07:55:39

mzanetti

fooblahblah wrote:

Borked:

• camera - It worked on linux-3.6.6, but under linux-mainline (3.7-rc6) the uvcvideo module is missing

• keyboard backlight fn keys - although echo'ing a value to /sys/devices/platform/applesmc.768/leds/smc::kbd_backlight/brightness works

Using 3.7-rc5 the camera and mic work fine here.

Keyboard backlight keys need to be handled by someone and echo those values into the sysfs file. So far the only app I knew was "pommed" which did not support the 10.x series yet. However, if you are using KDE, I have added support for them. They will start working definately with 4.11, with a bit of luck I can get it into 4.10.

Thunderbort works fine for me as long as the hardware is plugged _before_ the machine is bootet. I still really hope they get hotplugging solved at some point.

#78 2012-11-20 12:27:18

fooblahblah

mzanetti wrote:
fooblahblah wrote:

Borked:

Using 3.7-rc5 the camera and mic work fine here.

Keyboard backlight keys need to be handled by someone and echo those values into the sysfs file. So far the only app I knew was "pommed" which did not support the 10.x series yet. However, if you are using KDE, I have added support for them. They will start working definately with 4.11, with a bit of luck I can get it into 4.10.

Thunderbort works fine for me as long as the hardware is plugged _before_ the machine is bootet. I still really hope they get hotplugging solved at some point.

Yeah, I think the camera might have been a regression between rc5 and rc6.  Not sure if it's ArchLinux specific or upstream...

#79 2012-11-20 23:24:22

frigaut
Website

fooblahblah wrote:

Yeah, I think the camera might have been a regression between rc5 and rc6.  Not sure if it's ArchLinux specific or upstream...

For some reason I don't understand, uvcvideo is not build in the 3.7-rcs when building the kernel with the regular makeconfig. the whole drivers/media/usb/uvc directory is skipped.
I built the kernel explicitly forcing the inclusion of uvc, and I have everything working (I mean, mic *and* camera), but it's not a nice workaround. I expect 3.7.0 when it comes out (which should be in 2-3 weeks) will have restored uvc.

As far a thunderbolt hotpluging, as far as I understand, this is not happening any time soon, as it also depends on the macbook firmware being changed and this is not very likely to happen, so don't hold your breath.

Archer since 03/2009 - AUR packages

#80 2012-12-09 12:30:59

justforgetme
Website

Hey guys.

Does anybody have the issue where gnome/gdm puts you on llvmpipe even though the cards are running(i915 and nouveau modules loaded)?

I am courious of this is related to PCI:1:0:0 being the active gpu according to Xorg.0.log

Edit:
As it turns out even forcing the gpu to "integrated" on OSX via gfxCardStatus doesn't change the fact that the nvidia card is being seen as the active one by my Xorg. Which isn't a bad thing in itself if the damn thing could make use of the nouveau drivers and didn't fallback to llvmpipe...

Last edited by justforgetme (2012-12-09 13:52:51)

$> man life
No manual entry for `life'

$> nvm...

#81 2012-12-09 18:20:23

candrews
Website

justforgetme wrote:

Hey guys.

Does anybody have the issue where gnome/gdm puts you on llvmpipe even though the cards are running(i915 and nouveau modules loaded)?

I am courious of this is related to PCI:1:0:0 being the active gpu according to Xorg.0.log

Edit:
As it turns out even forcing the gpu to "integrated" on OSX via gfxCardStatus doesn't change the fact that the nvidia card is being seen as the active one by my Xorg. Which isn't a bad thing in itself if the damn thing could make use of the nouveau drivers and didn't fallback to llvmpipe...

Nouveau doesn't have any acceleration for our Retina's NVIDIA Gefore GT 650M - not 2D or 3D, so the performance is horrible. The Nouveau folks are working on it though... our GPU is an NVE0 family member (specifically, it's NVE7), and Nouveau has just gotten the ability to use its own firmware. See http://www.h-online.com/open/features/K … 57358.html I'm holding out hope that at least 2D acceleration will be available in Linux 3.8.

As for the Intel GPU, I've never gotten it to work. I've tried forcing the Intel GPU in OS X using gfxstatus, rebooting, and still Linux picks up and uses the NVIDIA GPU. If anyone has any working step by step solution, I'd be greatly indebted to you!

#82 2012-12-09 18:26:18

justforgetme
Website

candrews wrote:

As for the Intel GPU, I've never gotten it to work. I've tried forcing the Intel GPU in OS X using gfxstatus, rebooting, and still Linux picks up and uses the NVIDIA GPU. If anyone has any working step by step solution, I'd be greatly indebted to you!

Well, aparently neither did I. Whenever I try to use i915 (and it doen't crash at boot) I get a corrupted rom error and end up on llvmpipe again. Thanks for the info on nouveau though, seems we are all in the same boat with the gpu.

For the time I think I will just ditch heavyweight wms and turn to xmonad. That way I don't have to rape my cpu that much.. and can have a reasonably stable multiscreen support

$> man life
No manual entry for `life'

$> nvm...

#83 2013-01-02 13:57:57

crnkoj

fooblahblah wrote:
frigaut wrote:

Anyone got news about the microphone??? Still not working at my end. I guess I should take the time to contact the upstream devs. Anyone's got pointer on who/what mailing list to contact? Alsa? Pulseaudio? Kernel?

The latest linux-mainline fixes the microphone.  I added the following file to /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf:

options snd-hda-intel model=mbp101

Working:

• suspend

• sound

• mic

• external display

• display brightness fn key

• sound fn key

• wifi

• thunderbolt/nic adapter

Borked:

BTW, I have an MBP 13" (macbookpro10,2)

Hey how did you get display brightness to work? Which kernel driver/module has to be present and if any other userspace program needs to be installed? Im running gentoo on the mbp retina 13" and cant seem to get this to work and the only useful thread that popped up on google was this one. Thanks

#84 2013-01-02 18:32:01

fooblahblah

I believe the applesmc and apple_gmux modules control brightness and key bindings. 

BTW, I'm using the 3.7.1-2 kernel from the testing repo and it's working very nicely for me.  Both mic and camera are working.

#85 2013-01-03 01:19:25

tdy

Didn't see anyone mention fan control. Are the fans behaving? Are you guys seeing the need for extra fan control? Bootcamp runs scorching hot for me, so I ended up using Lubbo's fan control. I'm assuming it won't be like this with an Arch install.

#86 2013-01-03 01:21:59

fooblahblah

I'm using macfanctld-bzr.  Seems fine for my 13" and I run Eclipse a lot smile

#87 2013-01-03 08:59:44

tntcoda

Just bought a MBP and hoping to experiment with Arch smile

How does the retina actually look in Arch compared to OS X? If you scale using the DPI do things like fonts look as good in say Chrome when browsing as when doing so natively? I think i'm correct in saying that Chrome is "retina-optimized", so I'm wondering how that is reflected under *nix. Do things like mplayer utilize the resolution/scale correctly to take advantage of the pixels?

Last question, is Bootcamp/OS X actually required, can I wipe the disk and just boot straight to Arch or would this cause issues with the GPU switching?

Last edited by tntcoda (2013-01-03 09:00:58)

#88 2013-01-03 10:25:19

A.J.Rouvoet
Website

tntcoda wrote:

Just bought a MBP and hoping to experiment with Arch smile

How does the retina actually look in Arch compared to OS X? If you scale using the DPI do things like fonts look as good in say Chrome when browsing as when doing so natively? I think i'm correct in saying that Chrome is "retina-optimized", so I'm wondering how that is reflected under *nix. Do things like mplayer utilize the resolution/scale correctly to take advantage of the pixels?

Last question, is Bootcamp/OS X actually required, can I wipe the disk and just boot straight to Arch or would this cause issues with the GPU switching?

I'm very curious how things look in general as well, but it's hard to find good screenshots/screencaps.
If you're done installing, can you post some images that show how different things look (gtk apps, terminal, browsing, menus, etc)

#89 2013-01-04 22:54:57

tdy

A.J.Rouvoet wrote:

If you're done installing, can you post some images that show how different things look (gtk apps, terminal, browsing, menus, etc)

Not exactly what you asked for, but this is in virtualbox on my rMBP in case it helps:

vZ2sxaQ

#90 2013-01-04 23:55:35

A.J.Rouvoet
Website

tdy wrote:
A.J.Rouvoet wrote:

Not exactly what you asked for, but this is in virtualbox on my rMBP in case it helps:

http://ompldr.org/vZ2sxaQ

Ah thank you. Awesome wm on 2880x1800. Isn't that fantastic ;-)

How would you describe the overall experience of arch with awesome wm on that resolution?

#91 2013-01-05 00:09:06

tdy

A.J.Rouvoet wrote:

How would you describe the overall experience of arch with awesome wm on that resolution?

There are some inconsistencies. The only one that comes to mind off the top of my head right now is firefox.. webpages don't seem to be rendering at the 144 dpi setting from X (or maybe this is normal, but in any case webpages aren't readable). I installed the Default Full Zoom Level addon at the 200% setting and that makes the webpages+tabs normal size, but the fonts in firefox's internal pages (e.g. the addon page itself) are massive now.

(Well again, I guess I didn't answer your question exactly. No resolution issues with awesomewm in particular.)

Last edited by tdy (2013-01-05 01:05:27)

#92 2013-01-06 20:28:16

faceyourfaces

I have a Retina Macbook Pro 13' and I'm debating installing Arch Linux on to it. Is it an overall good experience on the hardware natively (heat, fan noise, how different DEs look on the high-resolution screen)?

Last edited by faceyourfaces (2013-01-06 20:30:31)

"Software is like sex; it's better when it's free."  -Linus Torvalds

#93 2013-01-09 10:15:18

thhart

justforgetme wrote:

Well, aparently neither did I. Whenever I try to use i915 (and it doen't crash at boot) I get a corrupted rom error and end up on llvmpipe again. Thanks for the info on nouveau though, seems we are all in the same boat with the gpu. For the time I think I will just ditch heavyweight wms and turn to xmonad. That way I don't have to rape my cpu that much.. and can have a reasonably stable multiscreen support

Anyone has an update in using integrated Intel?
For me the Nvidia is simply getting to hot and all I try I am not able to switch to integrated. Tried latest 3.7 with vgaswitcheroo and several tips already but either it ends up in black screen or discrete will be forced.

Thomas

#94 2013-01-09 14:33:07

frigaut
Website

hey.
Don't know what to say. I have been using it for many month and no issue with the integrated intel. The nvidia is turned off all the time to save power. I'm running down to 11W, usually 13W when doing light load.
Are you guys sure the integrated is forced from gfxcardstatus ?

To answer another question, fan worked for me out of the box. Had nothing special to install.
To answer yet another question, the retina is a mixed bag, as has been said in many post here and there. yes, it is gorgeous, but X and even web pages (many are badly designed) are not really optimized for it. Still, I wouldn't go back to 100dpi now that I have tasted 220dpi.
Here is a screendump that exemplify what I am saying: huge amount of screen space and still very readable.

#95 2013-01-09 14:40:26

thhart

frigaut wrote:

hey.
Don't know what to say. I have been using it for many month and no issue with the integrated intel. The nvidia is turned off all the time to save power. I'm running down to 11W, usually 13W when doing light load.
Are you guys sure the integrated is forced from gfxcardstatus ?

Thanks, obviously it is worth to dig, do you mind to share some information? Kernel version, driver, xorg.conf, boot parameters. Can you switch the graphic while running? Can you dump your Xorg.0.log.

JFYI, Firefox 18 announced Retina support, don't know what this implies in detail.

#96 2013-01-09 16:34:41

frigaut
Website

Since 3.6.0 (I believe) I am using stock kernel.
3.7 solved the last issue (microphone) I had (there might be others, like multi graphic card support, but it's not a big issue for me).
Total disclosure: 3.7 is somewhat unstable for me, although this is somewhat subjective, based on a couple of occurrences of a crash. So right now I am using 3.6.7, patched to include the changes to make the microphone work.
ok, now for the information:
Xorg.0.log
note the "[     7.903] (--) PCI:*(0:0:2:0)" (the hd400 is seen as connected by default)
as far as the config file, nothing special (i have no xorg.conf beside this):

516:log $ cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf
Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Intel Graphics"
    Driver         "intel"
    #Option        "AccelMethod" "sna"
    Option        "AccelMethod" "uxa"
    BusID         "PCI:0:2:0"
EndSection

517:log $ uname -a
Linux poliahu 3.6.7-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed Nov 28 16:44:34 EST 2012 x86_64 GNU/Linux
518:log $

Boot parameters are in the Xorg.0.log, i.e.:
[     7.874] Kernel command line: vmlinuz-linux.efi root=/dev/sda4 init=/bin/systemd add_efi_memmap initrd=EFI\arch\initramfs-linux.img

and dump of all drivers is in here

As far as firefox, or chrome for that matter, the fact thet they support retina is irrelevant for linux. Their support is, as far as I understand, relative to the osx way of handling retina: putting each pixel in a 2x2 container, and handling font adequately. whatever. Linux doesn't have all this, so their stuff are irrelevant.

#97 2013-01-09 16:36:57

frigaut
Website

oh, and no, I can't switch the graphic card while running. Others did, but I had no success doing that and still getting a stable machine. But as I said, I didn't try very hard as my goal was primarily to run the machine low power, so get rid of the nvidia (I'm not a gamer).

#98 2013-01-11 08:41:27

thhart

frigaut wrote:

oh, and no, I can't switch the graphic card while running. Others did, but I had no success doing that and still getting a stable machine. But as I said, I didn't try very hard as my goal was primarily to run the machine low power, so get rid of the nvidia (I'm not a gamer).

Hello Frigaut, thanks for all the information.

After some unsuccesful tests I found this post: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=12449607
The solution to my problem was finally to use an older gfxCardStatus (2.2.1), the current version 2.3 seems to behave different. So my system also started with IGD activated now. The system runs cool and quite fast.

# cat /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch
0:IGD:+:Pwr:0000:00:02.0
1:DIS: :Off:0000:01:00.0
2:DIS-Audio:+:Off:0000:01:00.1

When the system starts the DIS is still powered, so you have to run: echo "OFF" >  /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch" when it is started.

#99 2013-01-11 12:07:22

frigaut
Website

The gfxcardstatus version information was in this thread at post 55 and 56.
Thanks for re-posting the vgaswitcheroo information though, it's important.

#100 2013-01-23 17:57:28

patrick

So after many unsuccessful attempts at installing (I think I found a bug in the installer, I caused it to crash every time reproducibly by modprobing in the b43 then modprobing out the bcma before an error message appeared about not having wireless on), I made it through installing without errors.

However, when I went to reboot, rEFInd showed Arch, but when I went to boot it, I got a slew of error messages.  I'm pretty sure I'm doing something wrong with the bootloader, but I don't know what.  Can anyone make sense of these?  http://i.imgur.com/abpE5fX.jpg

Board footer