You are not logged in.

#1 2012-11-19 13:05:52

jib

white thick frame around desktop icons (after latest updates)

hi all,

i'm using xfce4 as DE, but, instead of xfdesktop as desktop icon manager, i keep using nautilus ('nautilus -n': run automatically at session login)  'cos i like some features xfdesktop doesn't have, such as: more flexible icons repositioning, icons resizing, etc..

my main problem is: after having installed last updates this morning (pacman -Syyu), and after re-executing nautilus, now all icons on desktop have a ugly and annoying thick (3-4 pxs) white frame around ...

googling about, i found out it could be a issue related to how nautilus manages thumbnails ....but unfortunately all threads are concerning gnome 2.x...NOT gnome 3.x

some of you encountered such a problem?

seems that nautilus treats and displays all desktop icons as images thumbnails yikes yikes

thanks wink

Last edited by jib (2012-11-19 13:08:14)

You exorcised my demon,
You exercised my daemon.

#2 2012-11-20 04:35:29

firey

Re: white thick frame around desktop icons (after latest updates)

I was getting this too.  Actually found this post while trying to find a fix.  The way I fixed it was to download the 3.6.3 source.  Open the Icons folder, and edit the thumbnail png to just be an empty png.  Recompiled and installed.  The border is now gone.

#3 2012-11-20 08:26:35

jib

smile only me and you havin' this annoying issue? smile

yeah...tks..i read somewhere about downloading from git nautilus source and editing icons/thumbnail.png before compiling...

but due to my laziness i hoped to solve it somehow else smile

You exorcised my demon,
You exercised my daemon.

#4 2012-11-20 12:49:30

firey

I guess so.  Considering how bad it made things look.. I am surprised.  I think the fix overall took about 5 mins.   Download the source, edit the png, run configure, make, make install.   Re-set the nautlius 'control desktop' flag to force it to use the new code, and all worked fine.

#5 2012-11-21 11:00:59

jib

guys smile

i've solved this way:

from: http://ftp.nluug.nl/ftp/os/Linux/distr/ … g/os/i686/

i downloaded: nautilus-3.6.1-1-i686.pkg.tar.xz 

so i downgraded nautilus (pacman -U nautilus-3.6.1-1-i686.pkg.tar.xz) from 3.6.3 prior to 3.6.1-1 (unfortunately i couldn't find 3.6.1-2 or 3.6.2 vers around)

restarted nautilus and everything is back to normal wink

ps: remember to add nautilus in IgnorePkg section (/etc/pacman.conf), otherwise it will be upgraded back again as soon as a pacman -Su is issued

i share with you this piece of information if it can be useful

Last edited by jib (2012-11-21 14:24:58)

You exorcised my demon,
You exercised my daemon.

Board footer