You are not logged in.

#1 2005-10-20 20:02:39

vilwarin

Kernel 26 and Radeon again

Hi!

Dunno if anyone  but me has latley tried to get her/his Radeon running again, because there are two new obstacles. sad

(1) ATI has limited access to their drivers, because of too many people accessing them. That means the standard PKGBUILD from the ati-drivers package does not work anymore.
However this can be fixed by either downloading the drivers oneself or entering an URL that works into the PKGBUILD file.

(2) The second problem, which I could not solve, is that the checksum in the PKGBUILD MD5 does no longer fit with the fglrx stuff from ATI. I tried uncommenting the MD5 areas, but then indeed errors occur during package build.

I am not that much of an expert, so I don't know how to go on by myself. I rather don't want to use the archck kernel, because I had some problems with it and now I finally have a running custom 2.6.13 Kernel that supports my wireless Lan card allowing me to access the internet and writing this wink

Thx!
Michi

#2 2005-10-20 21:09:35

alexmat

Re: Kernel 26 and Radeon again

#1) I included the ati drivers in the package below.
#2) The pkgbuild below should work.

Use this: http://atilinux.hopto.org/ati.drivers.2 … RCH.tar.gz

To use:
1.) Extract to a tmp directory.
2.) If you have arch kernel 2.6.13-ARCH from pacman, no need to do anything for this step. If you have a custom kernel, run `uname -r` and add the output of that after "_kernel=" in the PKGBUILD.
3.) Run makepkg in the tmp directory.
4.) pacman -A ati-drivers-8.18.6-1.pkg.tar.gz

Hope that helps. You can avoid downloading my version of this package all together by just deleting your md5sum line in your package build and making sure your _kernel line corresponds to your custom kernel tag (found using uname -r).

I'll keep the package above live until this weekend. Good luck.

#3 2005-10-20 21:33:25

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

As far as I am aware the ati PKGBUILD in the [community] works perfectly - are you saying it does not?

#4 2005-10-20 21:43:05

alexmat

The one I posted above is just the community PKGBUILD modified to work with the stock Arch kernel by dropping the archck dependancy and adding the correct _kernel line.

I also include the ati driver rpm for convenience because some douchbag at ATI decided to wrap the download in a bunch of scripts making it impossible to download directly with something like wget.

#5 2005-10-20 21:46:20

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

Yeah, bastards - dunno how legal it is for you to do that tho, mate - distributing stuff they have gone to so much trouble to protect from leechers probably isn't the greatest idea!

I'm not even sure the [community] pkg is THAT legal!

#6 2005-10-20 21:48:52

alexmat

The community package doesn't include the RPM, you still have to get it yourself I believe.

Yeah I'm already scared for my life, but I'll keep it up until the weekend to help fellow archers. ATI's lawyers can't take money from me, all I have is debts, lol  lol

#7 2005-10-21 13:43:50

vilwarin

thank you for your bravery wink
you can put the pkg down again.

Installing the pkg worked now, however the card still does not. Dunno either it doesn't work with the stock kernelö 2.6.13 as indicated an many places, or I'm too stupid to get it running. (Version 2 is more probable)

Thank you anyway!

#8 2005-10-21 19:37:24

alexmat

Make sure the _kernel= line in the PKGBUILD is the same thing as what you see if you run `uname -r`. Otherwise try looking through /var/log/Xorg.0.log for ideas as to what's happening.

Also make sure you set your device driver to fglrx in your xorg.conf file.

Package is going down... if anyone needs them the rpms are available on ati's site, but you have to get them using a browser.

#9 2005-10-24 19:17:21

vilwarin

The internet here went down for the whole weekend, due to our stupid provider...

Well curiously enough I got two "Device" Sections in my xorg.conf - is that natural? The second one appears to be configured correctly (driver fglrx), but the first one states "vga" as driver. But mayhaps that's what should be there.

Well ok you got me - when I compiled my kernel for the wireless car I added -mkcustom to the kernel tag. So uname -r shows exactly that. Alas I named all the folders important for the kernel otherwise (2.6.13). That's why I can't add the package with _kernel=2.6.13-mkcustom, only if I leave the -mkcustom out of play sad.

Do I have to recompile the kernel properly? And if I have to, is the archck Kernel corresponding to the 2.6.13 version of the stock kernel? Cause 12 and 13 differ right there, where my stupid wlan card triggers bugs (SMP and PREEMPT).

Oh boy - I hate you Radeon wink

Thanks for all your time and concern

#10 2005-10-24 19:43:42

alexmat

Well ok you got me - when I compiled my kernel for the wireless car I added -mkcustom to the kernel tag. So uname -r shows exactly that. Alas I named all the folders important for the kernel otherwise (2.6.13). That's why I can't add the package with _kernel=2.6.13-mkcustom, only if I leave the -mkcustom out of play.

As far as I'm aware you should have no problem adding _kernel=2.6.13-mkcustom to the PKGBUILD. All it does (as far as I can tell) is ensure that the fglrx module is installed in the correct modules folder for your kernel. Do an ls on /lib/modules and you should see a folder labeled 2.6.13-mkcustom. Also do an ls on /lib/modules/2.6.13-mkcustom/video, if you see fglrx.ko that means the correct module has been installed for your kernel and you just have a configuration issue.

Do I have to recompile the kernel properly? And if I have to, is the archck Kernel corresponding to the 2.6.13 version of the stock kernel? Cause 12 and 13 differ right there, where my stupid wlan card triggers bugs (SMP and PREEMPT).

You should not have to recompile your kernel IF (and this is important) your DRI and AGP drivers are built as modules. You can verify that they are by doing an ls on /lib/modules/2.6.13-mkcustom/kernel/drivers/char, you should see the folders: agp and drm.

Well curiously enough I got two "Device" Sections in my xorg.conf - is that natural? The second one appears to be configured correctly (driver fglrx), but the first one states "vga" as driver. But mayhaps that's what should be there.

Yes it's ok to have multiple Device sections, the important thing is which one your telling the x server to use. First find the Section called "ServerLayout" and see what name is set under the Screen option. Then find the Section called "Screen" that has the name from the previous step. Look at the Device name for that screen and make sure it is the same as the Identifier for the Device that is using the fglrx driver.

Good luck. I hope my advice helps you. However, I now understand why I can't get my lazy friends to use linux  lol

#11 2005-10-25 05:57:57

vilwarin

Thank you again great lord of knowledge,

the problem, why i didn't add -mkcustom to "_kernel" is, that makepkg produces the following error:

make: *** /usr/src/linux-2.6.13-mkcustom: No such file or directory.  Stop.

Because as I said I named those folders -2.6.13 and studpidly left the -mkcustom

the folder in /lib/modules is named correctly (2.6.13-mkcustom), but as you have assumed correctly, leaving -mkcustom in the PKGBUILD lead to a new folder 2.6.13 in /lib/modules containing video/fglrx.ko and nothing else

It won't be done by simply copying/moving the ingreedients to /lib/modules/2.6.13-mkcustom I fear. So how to tell makepkg to use /usr/src/linux-2.6.13 but /lib/modules/2.6.13-mkcustom ^_^

So off to university, I better not tell what I am studying wink
see ya

#12 2005-10-25 06:15:10

alexmat

Thank you again great lord of knowledge

lol I'm flattered, but I think you have the wrong person. lol

You are correct about not being able to just copy over the fglrx module. The solution is to rename your custom linux source folder to 2.6.13-mkcustom. As far as I know there is no problem doing this, however, if you are hessitant to do this or have a reason for keeping it the same, just make a link to it like so: ln -s /usr/src/linux-2.6.13 linux-2.6.13-mkcustom

Then just run makepkg again keeping _kernel=2.6.13-mkcustom in the PKGBUILD.

Good luck, your very close  wink

#13 2005-10-30 22:02:33

vilwarin

Hio!

I've tried that and repeated the whole procedure a second time - the package is installed correctly now and fglrx is found and used correclty

still, it doesn't work sad

Maybe it should not be...

#14 2005-10-31 08:24:11

sudman1

I found it easiest to just run ATI's graphical installer ( the one with the .run extension ), then add fglrx to the modules in rc.conf.
Bing-bang-boom simple!

v/r
Suds

#15 2005-10-31 19:01:54

vilwarin

I started trying that every time wink

it just doesn't work sad

Board footer