You are not logged in.

#1 2012-11-18 04:16:08

nhhieu89

ibus with qt apps

Hi everyone,

I have tried to install ibus (with ibus-qt and ibus-unikey) on my Arch (64 bit with XFCE as DW), I added the environment variables to /etc/profile

export XMODIFIERS="@im=ibus"
export GTK_IM_MODULE=ibus 
export QT_IM_MODULE=ibus
export QT4_IM_MODULE=ibus

And change the default xim in qtconfig to ibus, but I still fail to use ibus with libreoffice, Skype and other qt apps.

[Update]
I have tried move env vars to .xprofile, then .bashrc, remove then install Libreoffice and Skype. After that, ibus works well with Libre. 

Later, I have change environment LANG=en_US.utf8 (export LANG=en_US.utf8), and I could use ibus in Skype, but some character is missing (I type "ế", then "ế" character is disappear), don't know why.

Now, I switch to use scim, and with proper enviroment varialables (GTK, QT IM MODULE and LANG), scim works perfectly, but if anyone can resolve this troubleshoot, please let me know. Tks.

Last edited by nhhieu89 (2012-11-20 16:04:02)

#2 2012-11-20 13:20:09

ffjia

Re: ibus with qt apps

I have encountered the same problem. After upgrading qt  (4.8.3-5 -> 4.8.3-6), I cannot use ibus with qt apps any more.

#3 2012-11-20 16:07:18

nhhieu89

ffjia wrote:

I have encountered the same problem. After upgrading qt  (4.8.3-5 -> 4.8.3-6), I cannot use ibus with qt apps any more.

Hi ffjia,

You could tried:
- Move environment to .bashrc, .xprofile (or /etc/profile if your previous environment vars in .bashrc or .xprofile).
- Degrade qt.
- export LANG var.
- Remove the qt apps and try to reinstall it.

If it could resolved your problems, please let me know.

Tks.

#4 2012-11-20 18:39:04

yuyichao

Neither skype nor libreoffice is a qt app from the input method point of view, both of them can only use xim afaik. So you have to start ibus with "-x" and it doesn't matter whether you have installed ibus-qt or not.
IBus-qt is really out-of-date (upstream) and the "up-to-date" ibus unstable version in the official repos are really .. err.. unstable.... Not really sure if it is the reason for your case, but since ibus is becoming (at least very likely) gnome-only, you may want to try other imf's if you are not using gnome (and since none of those gnome ppls working on ibus (yes, literally __none_of_them__) is using input method, ibus is also working really bad even in gnome now.)

Scim was not active for a few years, but it has just released a new version a few weeks/months ago, so I'm not sure about the future of scim. But I will recommend at least giving fcitx4 a try. It is a imf now (different from fcitx3). It's very light weight (if that's what you like). It supports almost all input methods in lots of different languages that other imf's supports (including __ALL__ Chinese ones). It has lots of interesting features that are useful even for non-CJK users (like spell hint). It is very active and any feedbacks and suggestions are welcome. Also, almost all useful fcitx packages are in [community] now so you don't need to compile them anymore (thanks to felix, the new TU).

Last edited by yuyichao (2012-11-20 18:41:01)

#5 2012-11-21 12:31:31

ffjia

@nhhieu89 - It turns out that I have to upgrade ibus-qt together with this qt
upgrade. I now still use old ibus (1.4.2-2), since I cannot get the version
work well....

@yuyichao - Thanks. It looks like fcitx4 is more promising than ibus. I'd like
to give it a try sometime, thus I do not have to use downgraded
ibus, ibus-table, and kdeplasma-addons-applets-kimpanel...

Board footer