You are not logged in.

#426 2012-11-07 14:37:43

IgnorantGuru
Website

Re: SpaceFM - A Customizable File Manager

KimTjik wrote:

I hope to not duplicate an already made post. I have a question about mount points and SpaceFM. It could be I'm not aware of the reason, but to me it looks odd.

Removable devices like card-readers and USB sticks are auto-mounted to /run/media/USER/DEVICE. First I thought, "oh, have I unintentionally done some system wide changes", but then I check in Dolphin and the mount points become the expected /media/DEVICE.

Any thoughts on this?

This behavior is dependent on the mount solution used in SpaceFM.  I recommend installing udevil to avoid much of udisks problems and stupidity in these and other matters.  It sounds like you are using udisks v2, which arbitrarily changed to /run/media/USER/ by default (hugely unpopular, and I don't think you can change it).  In udevil you can change it in the conf file, but it will use /media/DEVICE by default.  I'm not sure what KDE uses - looks like /media/DEVICE as well.

#427 2012-11-07 15:07:51

KimTjik

Installing udevil did by default set mount points to /media/DEVICE. I wasn't aware of udisks working that way, and sure, until I see a good reason for it I'm not that enthusiastic about finding devices under /run/media.

Anyway, thanks!

#428 2012-11-07 17:06:26

Jristz

KimTjik wrote:

Installing udevil did by default set mount points to /media/DEVICE. I wasn't aware of udisks working that way, and sure, until I see a good reason for it I'm not that enthusiastic about finding devices under /run/media.

Anyway, thanks!

or what you think for simlink /run/media and /media???
and is udisks2 the guy that make mount in /run/media and as far I know udisks (1) going to be deprecated in a future

as far I know the change to run is for the multiseat support and 2 users in session with same name and diferent seat cannot mount same devise (asume same name) in /media (yes multiseat support is from systemd as far I know...) (systemd everywhere) and prevent name conflicts

Well, I suppose that this is somekind of signature, no?

#429 2012-11-07 19:03:08

BwackNinja

KimTjik wrote:

Anyway, thanks!

The change makes some sense in a multiseat or even just a multiuser environment, making any external storage only available to the user who inserted it, rather than to all users (with justifications for this that range from privacy to tampering by other users to eliminating clutter for other users). Also, changing this to use /run/media reduces the number of tmpfs mounts needed (because /media is usually a tmpfs so that it automatically cleans up anything left there automatically). For a single-user machine this is just a weird change and confusing.

Ultimately, I believe that the whole mechanism of mounting filesystems is broken because all these solutions (udisks, udisks2, udevil, etc) are just workarounds for the fact that you cannot mount anything without being root. Everything mounted by a user should be nosuid and nosgid (so that you can't mount a filesystem and get extra privileges from the binaries there), but beyond that (which is easy enough to deal with and given that users mount things anyway) I wonder why no one has made the mount command work securely as an SUID root program, especially considering that it already is SUID root and mounts anything in /etc/fstab that has the user flag set without needing you to be root.

#430 2012-11-07 22:22:13

IgnorantGuru
Website

BwackNinja wrote:

Everything mounted by a user should be nosuid and nosgid (so that you can't mount a filesystem and get extra privileges from the binaries there), but beyond that (which is easy enough to deal with and given that users mount things anyway) I wonder why no one has made the mount command work securely as an SUID root program, especially considering that it already is SUID root and mounts anything in /etc/fstab that has the user flag set without needing you to be root.

In a way that's what udevil does, but as far as allowing anyone to use suid mount in an unrestricted way, it opens some tricky avenues of exploitation.  To give you an example, if a user can mount any arbitrary fstype, they can potentially cause malicious kernel modules to be loaded.  Thus udevil restricts fstypes to a configurable list.  Another problem is the ability to unmount or remount system resources. A lot can actually be done with mount, especially considering all the mount helpers which users also gain access to, which are also run as root.  Further, each fstype can have different mount options which affect local and network security in various ways.  So udevil wraps command requests in a series of restrictive checks (based on udevil.conf) to manage these issues. 

This whole must-be-root-to-mount has always created some seemingly ridiculous limitations in Linux though, such as CDs, etc., especially for single-user systems.  And the larger point is you don't need a huge daemon running with root priviledges to accomplish this (aka udisks), you just need a small rule-based wrapper to mount.

Also, udevil can handle the multi-seat mounting, just doesn't do it that way by default as it's rarely desirable in typical setups, and breaks many scripts and tools which depend on past API-like behavior.  wink

Last edited by IgnorantGuru (2012-11-07 22:27:05)

#431 2012-11-11 10:02:21

KimTjik

Unfortunately I've not tried to save some output to examine, hence it's just a question: IgnorantGutu, have you seen some reports of udevil causing strange memory handling? I've been quite busy so I've only been able to casually test with or without udevil installed, but with it installed Firefox could on some heavy pages suddenly start filling up RAM (from 1GB to 8GB) and aggressively continue to fill up swap as well. Udevil was the only made change to the system and removing it made those symptoms disappear.

#432 2012-11-12 18:33:41

IgnorantGuru
Website

KimTjik wrote:

Unfortunately I've not tried to save some output to examine, hence it's just a question: IgnorantGutu, have you seen some reports of udevil causing strange memory handling? I've been quite busy so I've only been able to casually test with or without udevil installed, but with it installed Firefox could on some heavy pages suddenly start filling up RAM (from 1GB to 8GB) and aggressively continue to fill up swap as well. Udevil was the only made change to the system and removing it made those symptoms disappear.

No I haven't heard of anything like that.  It's unlikely udevil would cause such a thing - it doesn't run continuously (is not a daemon).  It's just a wrapper for mount - it runs mount for you when you run udevil (exactly the commands it shows you when you run it with --verbose).  Because of this udevil generates very few problem reports, never anything related to memory.

However, some of the network filesystems and other things that can be mounted via mount (and thus via udevil) could certainly cause problems, although I haven't heard of anything like what you describe.  In that case you would want to examine the mount helper in use, fuse, etc.  But just having udevil installed shouldn't impact anything like you describe.  No relationship to firefox, etc.

#433 2012-11-13 17:50:19

spiralofhope
Website

I'd like to be able to change tabs within a window using control-pageup/pagedown, like I could with PCManFM-mod.

I see no way to set this up..

- either by having a hotkey reassigned for an existing icon (like, say, how I could change the hotkey to open a terminal at the current location)  There doesn't seem to be a reassignable menu or icon.

- or by creating a script and assigning a hotkey to that.  There's no commandline feature to change tabs in this manner.

Is this possible?

If not, is there a place for me to open a feature request ticket?

#434 2012-11-13 18:20:18

IgnorantGuru
Website

spiralofhope wrote:

I'd like to be able to change tabs within a window using control-pageup/pagedown, like I could with PCManFM-mod.

I see no way to set this up..

- either by having a hotkey reassigned for an existing icon (like, say, how I could change the hotkey to open a terminal at the current location)  There doesn't seem to be a reassignable menu or icon.

- or by creating a script and assigning a hotkey to that.  There's no commandline feature to change tabs in this manner.

Is this possible?

If not, is there a place for me to open a feature request ticket?

In the file list's right-click context menu the Go|Tab|Prev and Next items change tabs, and you can assign keys to them using design mode.

To change tabs with the command line:

spacefm -s set current_tab 2
#or
spacefm -s set current_tab prev
#or
spacefm -s set current_tab next

Requests and bugs go to issues and the homepage is here for other links.

#435 2012-11-13 21:02:46

kaszak696

Hi

Is there a way to align icons to grid or something in SpaceFM? ATM it looks like this, there is a lot of wasted space and it looks kinda weird.

'What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence.' - Christopher Hitchens
'There's no such thing as addiction, there's only things that you enjoy doing more than life.' - Doug Stanhope
GitHub Junkyard

#436 2012-11-13 21:16:40

IgnorantGuru
Website

kaszak696 wrote:

Hi

Is there a way to align icons to grid or something in SpaceFM? ATM it looks like this, there is a lot of wasted space and it looks kinda weird.

That's some kind of malfunction.  Could be a malfunctioning theme - I would try swapping it.  Also may be related to issue 131.  Otherwise I suggest opening an issue on it with what theme you're using, spacefm version, gtk version, etc.  Thanks.

#437 2012-11-18 18:34:19

worf

Ever since Gnome developers have decided to go a strange path of more and more aggressively-regressively removing ability to customize almost anything, removing important features of Nautilus like tree an other pane and obviously enforcing simplicity and stupidity over productivity, I've been searching for a decent file manager for Linux, and finally I've found one.

I've just stumbled on this file manager after trying out Nemo and what not, and I never looked back. smile It surpasses Nautilus and similar in so many ways, especially in productivity. Thank You! I particularly appreciate endless configurability and possibility of dual pane horizontal, cause this feature is almost non existent within Linux file managers.

By the way, your blog article about Gnome is really very well done.

Last edited by worf (2012-11-18 18:38:52)

#438 2012-11-20 15:43:54

0ddba11

IgnorantGuru I can no longer drag multiple files in compact or icons view since the last update. It works in detailed view and when downgraded to 0.8.0 (I hadn't upgraded to 0.8.1 before 0.8.2). When multiple files are selected (either with rubber band select or shift and click) as soon as the files are dragged the selection just reverts to the file under the cursor and deselects all the other files. No errors when run from terminal. Not sure if this is a bug or just my setup (no-one else seems to have encountered it and it's not exactly an unusual action).

#439 2012-11-20 15:58:50

fabertawe

@0ddba11 - doesn't happen here with 0.8.2, works as expected.

Ryzen 9 5950X, X570S Aorus Pro AX, RX 6600, Arch x86_64

#440 2012-11-20 19:26:23

IgnorantGuru
Website

@worf:  Cool, thanks for your feedback!

0ddba11 wrote:

IgnorantGuru I can no longer drag multiple files in compact or icons view since the last update. It works in detailed view and when downgraded to 0.8.0 (I hadn't upgraded to 0.8.1 before 0.8.2). When multiple files are selected (either with rubber band select or shift and click) as soon as the files are dragged the selection just reverts to the file under the cursor and deselects all the other files. No errors when run from terminal. Not sure if this is a bug or just my setup (no-one else seems to have encountered it and it's not exactly an unusual action).

Thanks, this is a regressed bug in 0.8.2.  This should now be corrected in next (spacefm-git in AUR).

#441 2012-11-20 20:16:15

moetunes

I've been using thunar for ages but it's slow, especially with my nfs mounts. So I've been looking for a new file manager and have tried a few and I like spacefm's speed. Thanks for sharing it.

With thunar and xfe there's easy one click navigation to anywhere along the last longest path but I can't set spacefm up to replicate that.
Here's a pic to illustrate:
top to bottom: thunar, xfe, spacefm
left: navigated to /src/
right: navigated to /src/ and back to ~ with a click
tZ2R0aQ
Is there a configuration option I haven't found or a plugin for this sort of interface? or does that not fit in with the design philosophy for spacefm?

You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me.

#442 2012-11-20 20:52:53

anonymous_user

Try using ctrl+left-click on home.

#443 2012-11-20 21:29:15

moetunes

anonymous_user wrote:

That's what I did in the spacefm bottom right, but unlike the others it's not one click to go back to /src/. You can see in the pic that in thunar and xfe it's one click to go back to /src/ or anywhere between ~ and /src/ . If that's not part of spacefm's design philosophy that's ok, it's what I'm looking for so I asked the question. smile

You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me.

#444 2012-11-21 18:47:59

flipper T

New to spacefm & liking it. Have checked the manual but cannot find out if files deleted by the user are stored anywhere, or if they are truly deleted (not stored in home/.local/share/trash, where i had expected).

If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the [censored] car. -The Wolf

#445 2012-11-21 19:17:35

Šaran

Once you delete it, it's gone. But you can install trash plugin.
https://github.com/IgnorantGuru/spacefm/wiki/plugins

#446 2012-11-21 19:36:31

flipper T

Thank you.

I like when delete means delete smile

If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the [censored] car. -The Wolf

#447 2012-11-25 13:27:15

tri1976

moetunes wrote:
anonymous_user wrote:

That's what I did in the spacefm bottom right, but unlike the others it's not one click to go back to /src/. You can see in the pic that in thunar and xfe it's one click to go back to /src/ or anywhere between ~ and /src/ . If that's not part of spacefm's design philosophy that's ok, it's what I'm looking for so I asked the question. smile

Ctrl+left click on any part of the file path (in address bar) will take you to that folder

#448 2012-11-25 19:26:54

worf

I think it would be much more convenient if we could choose path in Path Bar by only "left-click", not like now just with "Ctrl + left-click". We already have in Path Bar "double left-click" that selects folder, and "triple left-click" that selects whole path, but single left click doesn't do anything as it seems.

What do You guys think about this idea? smile

And if it's not going to be implemented or not possible for what ever reason, is there a way to change this "Ctrl + left-click" shortcut to just "left click" shortcut somehow, maybe an option to change this shortcut could be implemented in future?

Last edited by worf (2012-11-25 19:28:16)

#449 2012-11-25 19:29:57

anonymous_user

One thing worth noting is that the two other file managers you screenshotted are using a "bread-crumbs" style toolbar as opposed to the traditional address bar. If SpaceFM had such a toolbar then it would accomodate your needs.

#450 2012-11-25 19:46:49

worf

anonymous_user wrote:

One thing worth noting is that the two other file managers you screenshotted are using a "bread-crumbs" style toolbar as opposed to the traditional address bar. If SpaceFM had such a toolbar then it would accomodate your needs.

Yeah that's true, but it could take time to implement that, while option to change shortcut should be much simpler to implement, I guess.

Besides, "bread-crumb" was never my thing, but I'm not opposed to an idea, as long as address bar stays too.

Last edited by worf (2012-11-25 19:47:17)

Board footer