You are not logged in.

#1 2012-11-21 10:46:36

vahid5695

which packages can be troublesome in system update?

Hello. as we now the process of system update in some of packages can cuase to trouble in running system like corrupting GUI and such that. for example, updating the kernel may corrupt virtualbox or updating Xorg may conflict with graphic driver and so on. But we can ignore some packages during update to prevent problems like that. im not experienced in arch and want to know wich packages are troublesome to ignore them in pacman. I wanna update that package once a month to have less trouble with that packages. what do you think and what is your suggestion?

#2 2012-11-21 11:58:03

illusionist

Re: which packages can be troublesome in system update?

None of them are troublesome. It all depends on how you configure your system, what setup you have ? etc. You can not be precise about any package. The same update breaks your system but works fine on mine. It is all about the user.

vahid5695 wrote:

updating the kernel may corrupt virtualbox

This is not true. How you came to that point ?

EDIT: I am running the same installation for almost 2 years. Never had any problem.

Last edited by illusionist (2012-11-21 12:03:56)

Never argue with stupid people,They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.--Mark Twain
@github

#3 2012-11-21 12:16:16

karol
Archivist

Just update everything once a month or e.g. once every two weeks, deal with pacnew files, maybe downgrade that one package that's currently broken.
Updating less often doesn't mean you won't run into broken packages - they may get broken just when you decided to update.

#4 2012-11-21 12:30:31

Trilby
Forum Moderator
Website

Frankly, updating less often seems to lead to the most breakage.

Update every day - then updates are quick and easy, and if anything goes wrong it is much easier to track down the culprit.  At worst, some things need to be restarted after an upgrade - X is trivial to restart.  And (AFAIK) some archers are succesfully using kexec to change out the kernel to a new version while still running (disclaimer: I have no knowledge nor direct experience with this).

For most regular setups a reboot may be needed after a kernel upgrade for some things - virtual box and block device access come to mind.  But this is not because any package is broken or "corrupted" - they just need to running kernel to match the installed kernel headers.

InterrobangSlider
• How's my coding? See this page.
• How's my moderating? Feel free to email any concerns, complaints, or objections.

#5 2012-11-21 23:35:36

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

There's a fool-proof command which will certainly list every package which may break during a delayed system update:-

pacman -Qq

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#6 2012-11-21 23:54:04

WorMzy
Forum Moderator

ngoonee wrote:

There's a fool-proof command which will certainly list every package which may break during a delayed system update:-

pacman -Qq

This.

OP, I recommend that you read this: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pa … nsupported

Sakura:-
Mobo: ASUS P8Z77-V PRO // Processor: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.4GHz // GFX: nVidia GeForce GTX 970 Ti // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR3 (@ 2133MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB Seagate SATAII 5x 1TB Samsung SATAII, 2x 120GB Corsair SSD

#7 2012-11-22 00:13:04

mamamia88

WorMzy wrote:
ngoonee wrote:

pacman -Qq

This.

OP, I recommend that you read this: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pa … nsupported

Update daily.  If for some reason something important like xorg fails to work the old version will be stored in /var/cache/pacman/pkg and can be installed with pacman -U name of package.   There is a log of everything updated in /var/log/pacman.log.   Nothing in life is certain but if you make sure to check the front page before updating you should be fine.

Board footer