You are not logged in.

#1 2012-11-20 23:01:19

nicolasantini

PTP tranfer from cameras (post systemd migration).

Hi! This is my first post; i am italian and i apologize if my english is not perfect  wink

I will be brief ...
Who of you has one (or more than one) camera using PTP manage through file manager (eg. Nemo or Nautilus, by libgphoto2)?
After the advent of systemd, downloading photos from the camera (especially in large number) is smoothly?
I tried on three different systems (all Arch, of course) and with two different cameras (Nikon D60 and Canon Ixus 870 IS) well ... file transfer stops after a while (sometimes almost immediately, others after 20 or 30 pictures), the incremental bar remains stationary and the only way to overcome the deadlock is to turn off the camera.
Neither in the network nor in the forums I found trace of such problems, unfortunately sad
I compared the systemd "services" running in the three installations of Arch, I checked the journal but without success sad
Are some of you working on the problem by chance? The strange thing is that using gphoto2 from command line:

gphoto2 --get-all-files

the image transfer is completed without a hitch.

Last edited by nicolasantini (2012-11-20 23:08:45)

#2 2012-11-20 23:46:29

ninian
Website

Re: PTP tranfer from cameras (post systemd migration).

gtkam has been getting upset with me for some time, falling over fairly randomly it seems. I'm not sure this has anything to do with systemd mind you.
Haven't tried for a couple of weeks, but will report if I have further problems.

#3 2012-11-21 17:20:26

nicolasantini

Hi ninian! smile

Are you using gnome or another Desktop Environment?
I suspect that the trouble is in "gvfs" suite/package (my D.E. is Gnome 3.6).
Investigations are in progress... I will keep you informed smile

--

#4 2012-11-21 18:14:25

ninian
Website

nicolasantini wrote:

Are you using gnome or another Desktop Environment?

No - am just using a Window Manager (Openbox) + tint2 panels.
But I do have gvfs installed - as a dependency of clementine and libgnome. Though I now see that there's a gvfs-gphoto2 package which I don't have installed. However, gtkam doesn't depend on gvfs as far as I know ...
wink

#5 2012-11-28 13:22:08

nicolasantini

After a lot of investigations the focus is now on "gvfs". My first suspicions were about "systemd" because the adoption of it on my system and the last update of gvfs packages  were was contemporary.
But the download of image files that stops after a while leaves me perplexed. I think that it can not be a permission problem nor of "gphoto" (it works perfectly using the command line) and increasingly gives the idea of a bug.
I tried three different installations of Arch and with different brands or types of cameras: finish the download of large groups of photos from Nautilus or Nemo, after mounting the camera in the filesytem, is virtually impossible.

Someone would be kind enough to try to replicate the fault in order to give substance to these assumptions?

Long live Arch and thanks again.

--

#6 2012-12-03 16:31:40

playaspec

Have you tried running the offending application with debugging turned on? Any clues in dmesg or the logs? I'm chasing a USB problem that from what I've read only appeared after recent updates.

#7 2012-12-03 17:39:22

nicolasantini

There is not an "offending application", playspec sad
If i try to download image files from any "PTP" camera, suite "gvfs" is involved (with gnome installed seems inevitable even using KDE ...) and the transfer hangs (logs does not show errors), especially if the number of images to be transferred is high. And this happens with any file manager!
I also tried to do a downgrade of the gvfs suite but there are too many "crossed" dependencies and it appears complicated  sad
I will try a "pure" installation of Arch; i mean to say an installation that uses only KDE with no Gnome packages... but this thing is really annoying sad sad
Another option is to open a bug report...

--

Board footer