You are not logged in.

#1 2012-11-21 22:54:55

bmentink

xbmc-standalone no sound [SOLVED]

Hi All,

I have re-installed my media box and decided to go standalone this time instead of using a window manager.
Everything has installed fine except when stock standard xbmc plays music/video there is no sound.

Alsa libs is installed but alsaplayer also does not play anything .... what am I missing?

I have made sure that pulseaudio is not installed as I have heard issues with that ... how do I get ALSA to play?
Is there a way to check devices and if they are muted?

Thanks,
B.

EDIT: I found I had to unmute the IEC958 output (optical coax) by  the command "amixer set 'IEC958' 100 unmute"
Now at least I have system sounds ... i.e I get the clicking sounds while navigating the menu items, but still get no sound
when playing music/videos etc. XBMC complains about: "cannot initialize output device"

Last edited by bmentink (2012-11-22 01:03:11)

#2 2012-11-21 23:52:01

Antoine

Re: xbmc-standalone no sound [SOLVED]

bmentink wrote:

EDIT: I found I had to unmute the IEC958 output (optical coax) by  the command "amixer set 'IEC958' 100 unmute"
Now at least I have system sounds ... i.e I get the clicking sounds while navigating the menu items, but still get no sound
when playing music/videos etc. XBMC complains about: "cannot initialize output device"

What's the output of

aplay -L

Have you unmuted the everything relevant in alsamixer?

Have you set up the audio output in XBMC's settings? (System --> Settings --> System --> Audio Output)

Last edited by Antoine (2012-11-21 23:52:21)

#3 2012-11-22 01:02:01

bmentink

Re: xbmc-standalone no sound [SOLVED]

Thanks,

I found the issue .... I had re-set the output device in system/audio but did not re-start XBMC .. all works now.

Now, if only I can find the firmware for my DVB-S2 cards , I might get TV going again  ;-)

Board footer