You are not logged in.

#1 2012-11-22 18:14:19

bmentink

systemd/dbus broke after upgrade ... laptop now won't run

Hi All,

I did an upgrade a week back and the laptop booted fine till yesterday and now on a re-boot I am getting systemd services failing on boot.
i.e the gdm.service, systemd-logind.service, bluetooth.service, NetworkManager.service ... they all failed, so the boot stopped at the graphical target and I could not get a console.

So I added the multi-user target to the bootloader line so I could get a console and had a look around at the journal messages.

It seems dbus is failing all the time ... one error I saw was "nwmanager failed to init PolicyKit"
Another on gdm "error getting system bus"

So why would dbus suddenly fail ... after running fine for a week after the upgrade?

Also I do not seem to have an eth0: device so can't connect to the net to fix anything ..

I am not sure how to fix this ... any idea.s anyone?

Cheers,
B.

EDIT: Also the command "systemctl list-jobs" shows systemd-logind.service as stuck .... maybe that is the issue?

Last edited by bmentink (2012-11-22 23:46:53)

#2 2012-11-22 21:25:58

WonderWoofy

Re: systemd/dbus broke after upgrade ... laptop now won't run

I think your title and beginning of your post are seriously misleading.  I would certainly not consider reaching multi-user.target as not being able to boot.  You are booting just fine, you are just unable to reach the graphical target.

#3 2012-11-22 21:28:52

falconindy
Developer
Website

I tend to think dbus and systemd are only the messengers of other bad news. Sounds to me like you upgraded your kernel without /boot being mounted and you're "missing" all sorts of modules now.

#4 2012-11-22 21:47:06

bmentink

falconindy wrote:

I tend to think dbus and systemd are only the messengers of other bad news. Sounds to me like you upgraded your kernel without /boot being mounted and you're "missing" all sorts of modules now.

Boot was mounted when I upgraded and I have done a "mkinitcpio -p linux" again just to make sure ..

What modules do you think I am missing? Do I need to try downgrading my kernel?

Thanks
B

#5 2012-11-22 21:58:03

WonderWoofy

What falconindy is telling you to do is compare your running kernel version to what pacman reports as being installed.  If they differ, /boot wasn't mounted at the time.  Mkinitcpio has nothing to do with whether or not /boot is mounted, it only builds your initramfs.

#6 2012-11-22 21:58:10

bmentink

WonderWoofy wrote:

I think your title and beginning of your post are seriously misleading.  I would certainly not consider reaching multi-user.target as not being able to boot.  You are booting just fine, you are just unable to reach the graphical target.

Don't want to be pedantic ... but the Laptop would not complete the boot .... so therefore it did not boot ;-)

#7 2012-11-22 22:04:07

WonderWoofy

No, it did complete boot.  It just did not start your graphical user interface.  Seriously, I am not trying to simply tell you that you're wrong, but rather that you are not describing your issue very well.  So potential help might never find its way here.

#8 2012-11-22 22:04:45

bmentink

WonderWoofy wrote:

What falconindy is telling you to do is compare your running kernel version to what pacman reports as being installed.  If they differ, /boot wasn't mounted at the time.  Mkinitcpio has nothing to do with whether or not /boot is mounted, it only builds your initramfs.

uname -r returns version as 3.6.6-1-ARCH, how do I check what version pacman thinks is installed?

Cheers,
B

#9 2012-11-22 22:07:17

WonderWoofy

$ pacman -Qi linux

#10 2012-11-22 22:13:11

bmentink

WonderWoofy wrote:

$ pacman -Qi linux

Same 3.6.6-1 ..

#11 2012-11-22 23:47:34

bmentink

Anyone have any more suggestions? I have run out of things to try myself ...

Cheers,
B

#12 2012-11-24 21:28:52

bmentink

Well something is definitely broke in ARch world ..

I did a re-install on my laptop, which ran fine for a day ... then the SAME stuff started happening ... services would not run ..
And to add to that, on another computer I had just done an upgrade, and after a couple of days the same issue ..

What gives Arch Developers .... I am seriously considering going over to Fedora .. at least their systemd/dbus works ...

B.

#13 2012-11-24 21:31:40

falconindy
Developer
Website

bmentink wrote:

Everything's fine on this side of the world.

bmentink wrote:

What gives Arch Developers .... I am seriously considering going over to Fedora .. at least their systemd/dbus works ...

No one's keeping your here. You've been unable to explain, beyond anecdotally, what your problems are. That you've received nothing more than half-educated guesses is no surprise.

#14 2012-11-24 21:48:48

bmentink

falconindy wrote:
bmentink wrote:

Everything's fine on this side of the world.

bmentink wrote:

No one's keeping your here. You've been unable to explain, beyond anecdotally, what your problems are. That you've received nothing more than half-educated guesses is no surprise.

Well I have given all the information I can think off ... your comment has not  given any helpful suggestions as to provide further information to help solve the issue ...
... how about offering some useful suggestions  rather than a lambasting ...

The fact that I have done a "fresh" install of Arch on two separate machines and they both broke after awhile without my touching them reflects on Arch NOT on me stuffing things up.
(I have run arch for many years ... and I have always been able to fix the frequent broken stuff ... not this time ... I can do without the pain ... I have a life ...

#15 2012-11-24 22:17:46

falconindy
Developer
Website

bmentink wrote:

Well I have given all the information I can think off

Really? You didn't think that posting actual errors would be useful? You didn't try booting with debug to get a better idea of what's going wrong?

bmentink wrote:

I can do without the pain ... I have a life ...

Boo hoo.

#16 2012-11-24 23:20:32

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

I got the same problem after the latest upgrade..... the systemd hangs up after loading the services. I didn't check what was upgraded.

Markku

#17 2012-11-25 00:25:42

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

bmentink wrote:

I am seriously considering going over to Fedora .. at least their systemd/dbus works ...

Bye.

Don't let the door hit you ...

I know it's foolish to be dragged down to this level, but the sort of posts you've been putting in this thread really p(*&# me off.  If you had any real intent to leave you'd be gone, you wouldn't be here posting.  You post that drivel because you think that someone here will give a damn.  Worse yet you think someone here *should* give a damn - like you chosing to no longer use arch linux would do some great harm to the community and everyone here should bend over backwards to convince you to stay.

Hell, if this is your normal attitude, arch would be better off without you.  So, bye.

Last edited by Trilby (2012-11-25 00:26:57)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#18 2012-11-25 00:55:51

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

The problem is in gdm. With Arch installation CD I arch-chroot in to the system and "systemctl disable gdm". Managed to get the root prompt. What stopped gdm, I am checking.

Markku

#19 2012-11-25 05:13:22

dhave
Arch Linux f@h Team Member

rasat wrote:

I got the same problem after the latest upgrade..... the systemd hangs up after loading the services. I didn't check what was upgraded.

@rasat: Are you booting via uefi, or bios?

I boot arch via uefi and, after updating my kernel to 3.6.7, like the OP was getting a multitude of systemd "Dependency failed" errors.

It turned out I had failed to copy over my updated kernel to my special fat32 EFI boot partition. It's not very elegant, but my uefi setup requires me to manually copy any updated kernel and initramfs img file from /boot to  my EFI boot partition. I suspect other uefi people do something cleaner, but this works for me.

I didn't catch my mindblogglingly idiotic error until I read this helpful post:

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 0#p1187920

Last edited by dhave (2012-11-25 06:39:45)

Donate to Arch!

Tired? There's a nap for that. --anonymous

#20 2012-11-25 07:57:04

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

@bmentink it can be useful to look at pacman.log to see what upgrade installed and then you may have more clues to what the problem is. Gdm was mentioned by our users so its s start. As your system does not run then you will need a live iso [arch media!] to mount your systems partition to view files and logs.

Mr Green

Mr Green

#21 2012-11-25 19:06:18

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

The problem was in the systemd. When trying to fix I lost the sound and a smooth X display. I reinstalled the installation and all ok.

Markku

#22 2012-11-25 19:11:41

dhave
Arch Linux f@h Team Member

rasat wrote:

The problem was in the systemd. When trying to fix I lost the sound and a smooth X display. I reinstalled the installation and all ok.

That's good to hear. I'm glad you found the source of the problem. It just goes to show that there can be different causes of similar symptoms.

Donate to Arch!

Tired? There's a nap for that. --anonymous

#23 2012-11-25 22:04:44

loafer

I seriously doubt the problem was with systemd.  In fact a reinstalation - with systemd of course - "fixed" the problem.  I suspect the root cause was always in the configuration.  Reinstalling does not seem like a very good option at all.

All men have stood for freedom...
For freedom is the man that will turn the world upside down.
Gerrard Winstanley.

#24 2012-11-27 23:45:51

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

Your point is taken but there is a factor what should/could be taken in consideration. Not as a critisim, I like the systemd's speed and performanace. Can systemd handle upstream bugs without breaking the configurations because its highly automated. When it doeas, can it easly be fixed when not knowing what was done at the first place.

Markku

#25 2012-11-28 21:23:25

fhtah

Hi,

may not be related but I had similar failed systemd-logind.service , some dbus errros etc after
the last  (eg filesystem 2012.10-2 -> 2012.11-1) update.

I have ssd installation with /var symlinked to directory on other hdd partition.
I noticed the /var/lock and /var/run  links wrong.
So I unlinked  and re-created links to point to /run and /run/lock, all is fine now.
Maybe the problem is  because of my unusual setup  and not related to your at all,
anyway  I think it is worth checking  /var.

Board footer