You are not logged in.

#1 2005-10-22 12:48:32

thibdb13

General look

I know it is very subjective but I find the look of archlinux (under kde) a bit ugly compared to what slackware or suse can offer. Fonts are really far from making me happy...
Can someone recommand an howto or a link on how to improve the situation.

thanks

#2 2005-10-22 13:08:01

tomk
Forum Fellow

Re: General look

This any use? Search the forum as well - there have been plenty of font-related threads.

#3 2005-10-22 13:44:22

slackhack

what hardware are you using? CRT or LCD? can you provide some screenshots? i had to modify ~/.fonts.conf to get decent fonts in arch with LCD, although others say it wasn't an improvement and they preferred the original, thin and spindly look. tongue

#4 2005-10-22 14:48:00

ozar

thibdb13 wrote:

I know it is very subjective but I find the look of archlinux (under kde) a bit ugly compared to what slackware or suse can offer. Fonts are really far from making me happy...
thanks

"Subjective" is certainly the correct word here, because I just installed the latest Suse and Mandriva last night to see how they looked and thought the fonts sucked in both of them compared to Arch.  I used to be a big fan of Slackware's out-of-the-box fonts, but now don't care for them, either.

Not sure, but maybe the difference is in the monitors used to display them, or perhaps it's just a matter of getting used to looking at the fonts in a particular distro...    smile

slackhack wrote:

i had to modify ~/.fonts.conf to get decent fonts in arch with LCD, although others say it wasn't an improvement and they preferred the original, thin and spindly look. tongue

Yep, I like the fonts "as is" on my Samsung SynMaster LCD.  They are very sharp and clear.   8)

oz

Board footer