You are not logged in.

#1 2005-10-22 12:49:50

fatblueduck

why is there no /dev/sda* for my external hard drive?

First, I am extremely happy with arch.

My problem is that for some reason there does not exist a /dev/sda* in my arch system. When I plug my external hard drive or my digital camera into the usb port /dev/sda1 does not appear.

I've read in these forums that arch finds these devices in /dev/sda* as other linux systems do. Does anyone know what the problem here is. Where am I supposed to mount these usb devices from?

Using arch 0.7 with udev. Thanks

Chris

#2 2005-10-22 13:04:40

tomk
Forum Fellow

Re: why is there no /dev/sda* for my external hard drive?

Do tail -f on your everything.log, then plug in a device. See what shows up, and post it here if you want.

#3 2005-10-22 13:14:07

Bralkein

Something else to take a look at is what kernel modules are loaded. Put in 'lsmod' at the command line and see if sd_mod (SCSI disk support) and usb_storage are in the list, as they should be loaded automatically when you plug the USB drive in and it is detected. If they are not loaded, you should check your kernel configuration. If in your kernel configuration they are not compiled as modules or into the kernel image, then you should recompile your kernel with those options enabled.

#4 2005-10-22 17:35:08

whargoul

Oh, I'm listning. I got the same problem. So it will really be help if you find the problem.

Arch - It's something refreshing

#5 2005-10-22 18:14:28

mico

See if you have /dev/sda. For my usb memory card reader only /dev/sda is created. Then I read something from it and /dev/sda1 appears. Funny, eh? I usually do this:

head -c 1 /dev/sda >/dev/null

And then I can mount /dev/sda1

#6 2005-10-22 21:48:42

fatblueduck

THANKS for all of the responses. The problem seems to be fixed and I'm not sure why. I upgraded my system for the first time in several months and restarted it. Now everything is working. There must have been some problem with the hotplugging.

Its so cool that I can upgrade my entire system with -Syu (kernel and all) and have everything work perfectly upon reboot. People are so generous with their help in these arch forums. I love this distro.

Thank you

Chris

Board footer