You are not logged in.

#1 2012-11-24 18:40:33

alevinearch

Xorg no screens found

I have installed X.org and when I try to startx, I get the dreaded "Fatal error: no screens found" error. There is no elaboration, so the X wiki did not help, and the ArchWiki does not cover this. How to fix? I have installed XFCE4 and Enlightenment DR16 as a "backup" of sorts, and twm as "mega-backup". None of these work.

Arch vs Ubuntu; User friendly or user centric?

#2 2012-11-24 18:58:10

DSpider

Re: Xorg no screens found

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Be … leshooting

Note: Please provide all pertinent information (hardware, driver information, etc) when asking for assistance.

PS: Welcome to the forum. Judging by your other thread, you must have skipped this: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Be … deo_driver

Note: If you installed Arch as a VirtualBox guest, you don't need to install a video driver. See Arch Linux guests for installing and setting up Guest Additions, and jump to the configuration part below.

PPS: There's also this: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Mo … al_machine

Having an nvidia, nouveau, radeon, intel, etc., entry in the Device section from one of the Xorg configuration files will prevent it from starting, since you will be using emulated hardware (including the video card). So it's recommended that you move/rename or delete the following:

# mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bak
# mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-monitor /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-monitor.bak

But you're right... The wiki is of no help at all. (Sarcasm) But ok, just in case you aren't running Arch from VirtualBox, searching the wiki for "no screens found" returns this: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NV … IA_Optimus

Last edited by DSpider (2012-11-24 19:17:33)

"How to Succeed with Linux"

I have made a personal commitment not to reply in topics that start with a lowercase letter. Proper grammar and punctuation is a sign of respect, and if you do not show any, you will NOT receive any help (at least not from me).

#3 2012-11-24 19:22:33

DSpider

It may also be a systemd issue: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Talk:Systemd

Steev wrote:

... Xorg.log would show errors like "No screens found."

I eventually figured out that the problem was that my computer was booting so fast that KMS didn't have enough time to kick in before X was started. I solved by adding the KMS driver (i915 in my case) to the initramfs.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/KM … _KMS_start

Next time try to provide more details. And don't forget to mark the topic as solved (by editing the first post) so that other people (including yourself sometimes) may find useful.

Last edited by DSpider (2012-11-24 19:23:57)

I have made a personal commitment not to reply in topics that start with a lowercase letter. Proper grammar and punctuation is a sign of respect, and if you do not show any, you will NOT receive any help (at least not from me).

#4 2012-11-24 21:14:49

alevinearch

There is no Xorg.conf file on my system AT ALL. Is this a problem? Do I need this file in order to start X.org?

#5 2012-11-24 21:22:15

alevinearch

I just browsed Xorg.0.log and realized that the module "vboxvideo" did not exist. I am judging that this is the emulated card in Virtualbox and if X cannot load this, It cannot work the VM. How do I install the vboxvideo module?

#6 2012-11-24 21:29:57

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Rather than expect to be spoonfed here, please make some effort to help yourself.

The wiki entry has all the details...

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#7 2012-11-24 21:34:58

DSpider

I already posted this once: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Be … deo_driver

Read the note. That should get you to "vboxvideo".

Last edited by DSpider (2012-11-24 21:36:04)

#8 2012-11-24 22:49:29

alevinearch

Thank you, but I still get the error. My Xorg.0.log says I do not have fonts installed, and no Open ACPI. It falls back for the old probe method for fbdev, and another error is there is no /dev/fb0. It says that it found the screen, but it does not have a usable configuration. Also, KMS (whatever that is) did not support the 'dumb' interface, and the setup of KMS failed. The server terminated with error 1 (WHATEVER THAT IS).

Last edited by alevinearch (2012-11-24 22:51:10)

#9 2012-11-24 22:50:03

alevinearch

No vboxvideo error though. Thank you for that.

#10 2012-11-25 01:39:24

alevinearch

I installed the TTF package for fonts, and now it is disabling Mouse0 and Keyboard0, which is obviously not a good thing. DARN! Even the ArchWiki does not have anything about this error, and wgetpaste does not work! I have installed some window managers (as shown in my initial post to this thread), and also the SLiM login manager. Is there an init script I need to enable via systemctl or something?
Here is the files the Beginner's Guide requested:
~/.xinitrc (I like E16, OK? XFCE is now my backup. twm remains in position.)
xorg.conf
Xorg.0.log

Last edited by alevinearch (2012-11-25 14:12:56)

#11 2012-11-25 01:44:52

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Please stop bumping this thread. There is an edit button for every post, learn how to use it.

What you are trying to acheive is one of the most common, if not the most, tasks with Arch. The wiki page is thorough. Combine it with the Beginners' Guide and it is difficult to go wrong.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#12 2012-11-25 14:41:46

alevinearch

@DSpider, I did the KMS thing you said might fix the problem ( I included the vboxguest vboxsf and vboxvideo modules in /etc/mkinitcpio.conf ) and this make absolutely no changes in /etc/Xorg.0.log. And yes, I rebooted. (No offense.)

Last edited by alevinearch (2012-11-25 14:48:15)

#13 2012-11-25 18:05:49

DSpider

It doesn't work like that. Enabling KMS early start on VirtualBox won't do you any good.

If you installed a video driver, thinking that you actually need to, you need to undo that first.

Which video driver did you install?

#14 2012-11-25 18:35:18

alevinearch

All of them (I will undo that now). I was absoluetely desperate xD

Board footer