You are not logged in.

#1 2012-11-24 21:41:39

ravisghosh
Website

Ncurses based audio player with support for recursive search and ratin

I have been looking for a ncurses based (lightweight) music player. I tried moc and it is awesome. However, two features (which I need) it lacks are:
1. Recursive search.
2. Rating.

It presently searches only in the present director and does not do a recursive search which makes it difficult to search for a song.

Also, rating a song is a nice way to have a list of songs which you love and play them all together when you are in no mood to go through all the songs.

It would be great if someone can recommend another ncurses based player with these (recursive search and rating) features.

#2 2012-11-25 01:41:21

felixculpa

Re: Ncurses based audio player with support for recursive search and ratin

I don't believe there is any ncurses media player with a rating feature... If my assumption is correct you may just have to settle with making playlists based on the criteria of your subjective ratings. I use Ncmpcpp paired with mpd and it has a "regex" search function that I believe is recursive, as I can find any song, album, artist, etc as long as it's tagged properly.

#3 2012-11-25 11:30:04

PReP
Website

I have a little convuluted way of doing this, i use a script called prep_mp - or similar,
and have two directories under my mp3-main-directory, mp3_listen and mp3_sorted.

I usually just mv files over to the listen one when i hear one i like.

And i use the script, to play the files in the specified directory, recursively, in random, with mplayer.

Might be too simple for what you need, but that is a tip atleast : )

. Main: Intel Core i5 6600k @ 4.4 Ghz, 16 GB DDR4 XMP, Gefore GTX 970 (Gainward Phantom) - Arch Linux 64-Bit
. Server: Intel Core i5 2500k @ 3.9 Ghz, 8 GB DDR2-XMP RAM @ 1600 Mhz, Geforce GTX 570 (Gainward Phantom) - Arch Linux 64-Bit
. Body: Estrogen @ 90%, Testestorone @ 10% (Not scientific just out-of-my-guesstimate-brain)

#4 2012-11-25 18:07:40

ravisghosh
Website

flexculpa - would mpd+ncmpcpp be heavier/consume more memory than moc?

PReP - that was simply wonderful!! but as you said. I should not say it is simple, but rather we tend to look for simpler option, e.g., install an app smile

#5 2012-11-25 18:13:41

ewaller
Administrator

mpc mode in emacs ? (not ncurses, but....)

Last edited by ewaller (2012-11-25 18:14:38)

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#6 2012-11-25 23:49:32

felixculpa

ravisghosh wrote:

Well if I look at the output from "htop" ncmpcpp is only using 0.4% of my memory in my netbook and the mpd daemon is only using about 4.5% of my cpu and less than 3% of system memory.

#7 2012-11-26 13:22:36

PReP
Website

ravisghosh wrote:

PReP - that was simply wonderful!! but as you said. I should not say it is simple, but rather we tend to look for simpler option, e.g., install an app smile

I got prep_mp up in the aur anyways, but i should really work a bit more on it
any constructive critizism is always appreciated if anyone finds it usefull : )

Hopefully you find something that fits your personal usecase otherwise smile

. Main: Intel Core i5 6600k @ 4.4 Ghz, 16 GB DDR4 XMP, Gefore GTX 970 (Gainward Phantom) - Arch Linux 64-Bit
. Server: Intel Core i5 2500k @ 3.9 Ghz, 8 GB DDR2-XMP RAM @ 1600 Mhz, Geforce GTX 570 (Gainward Phantom) - Arch Linux 64-Bit
. Body: Estrogen @ 90%, Testestorone @ 10% (Not scientific just out-of-my-guesstimate-brain)

#8 2012-11-27 16:37:50

ravisghosh
Website

felixculpa wrote:
ravisghosh wrote:

Well if I look at the output from "htop" ncmpcpp is only using 0.4% of my memory in my netbook and the mpd daemon is only using about 4.5% of my cpu and less than 3% of system memory.

That sounds nice. Would need to take time out and set it up..

Board footer