You are not logged in.

#1 2012-10-17 15:56:20

dshelley

Recent troubles with WiFi.

Hello everyone, recently I have been having numerous issues with my WiFi connection. I am only noticing the issue when I am attempting to download a file via Firefox or using wget. What will happen is, during the middle of downloading the file my internet will suddenly quit working. I checked into the dmesg log and noticed a huge flood of " iwlwifi 5:00.0: fail to flush all tx fifo queues". I'm not entirely sure what this means but the only way to fix the issue is to reboot my entire system and cross my fingers hoping it wont happen again when I attempt to download something.

Can anyone provide a little bit of insight into the issue? Has anyone else had similar problems? I have attempted researching the issue on google but I have had no luck finding good results. If anyone needs a little more info, please let me know I will be more than helpful to assist those who are willing to help with my issue. Thanks in advance!

My network card is (taken from lspci): Network controller: Intel Corporation Ultimate N WiFi Link 5300
(I did not have to install any special drivers for this, it was working automatically.)

EDIT: Here is a picture of my log output from KSystemLog. http://imageshack.us/a/img805/3858/errorui.png

Last edited by dshelley (2012-10-17 16:04:05)

#2 2012-10-17 16:02:15

WonderWoofy

Re: Recent troubles with WiFi.

Instead of rebooting, why not simple unload the module and then reload it again.

No idea how to solve it, but I think rebooting is unnecessary.

#3 2012-10-18 18:45:34

dshelley

WonderWoofy wrote:

Instead of rebooting, why not simple unload the module and then reload it again.

No idea how to solve it, but I think rebooting is unnecessary.

Thanks for the reply WonderWoofy.  I have been able to unload the module's and reload them and this does appear to work as a temporary fix to the issue instead of completely rebooting! Although, I am still having problems.

I can have the WiFi work fine with normal web browsing and low latency activities, but the moment I start downloading a file (multiple files at once cause the issues to happen even faster) the iwlwifi module spits out a long dmesg log of:   "iwlwifi 0000:05:00.0: fail to flush all tx fifo queues".

I am still looking into the issue and I want to see if I'm able to debug the module my self. Although, for now I have an alias script that will unload and reload the failed modules instead, just for a temporary fix. Again, if anyone needs more info please let me know I'll be happy to share! Thanks for the help!

#4 2012-10-18 18:48:21

WonderWoofy

This is not a solution I know, but if you use netcfg, you can simply put the module unload and reload into the config as "PREUP" and then just issue a reconnect.  This seems easier than doing it manually, or calling a separate script.  Or I guess you could just use the script as your PREUP.

#5 2012-10-28 16:15:25

stickyboy
Website

Unloading the module is a solution that only someone who doesn't have the problem can suggest. wink

There have been issues with iwlwifi for a few stable releases now, ~3.4-3.6, if I recall correctly... It was so bad in 3.4 that I had to go install a 3.3 kernel from AUR.  There are official Intel Wireless bug reports about a related issue, Queue Stuck, as well as an Arch Linux bug report with one suggestion.

I see these stability issues on my ThinkPad T420, which uses Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 wireless, but I haven't tried the fix yet.  Give it a try...

Last edited by stickyboy (2012-10-28 16:15:56)

#6 2012-11-26 22:21:02

Enverex
Website

Did you ever manage to fix this? I'm having what seems to be the same problem (https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 1#p1198881)

Board footer