You are not logged in.

#1 2012-11-27 04:05:30

lspci

Simultaneous Playback Issue with Alsa & Pulseaudio

Okay, so like this is really getting on my nerves... while I'm trying to like listen to music using totem whenever any application makes any sound, like a notification from skype saying that somebody logged in, the music stops and it is super irksome when I'm like trying to get on my zen for doing my course work.  I checked the wiki's page on Pulseaudio, but I couldn't find anything that was about simultaneous playback issues.  The alsa page, however, did have something on it, but the problem is that it proposed uninstalling or blocking pulseaudio, and honestly, I'd rather uninstall alsa than pulseaudio--Pulseaudio is like 100x easier for me on this laptop. 

Any suggestions.  My main concern is that if I do uninstall alsa that some applications' sound(s) won't work any more, like wine, for example.

Please don't be a help vampire. | Bitbucket

Give a little more for a little less today.  smile

#2 2012-11-27 04:15:19

ewaller
Administrator

Re: Simultaneous Playback Issue with Alsa & Pulseaudio

Pulse depends on Alsa.
Wine can (should) be configured to use the Pulse
Same with Skype.

I don't use either of those programs.  Have a look at https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pulse

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
You assume people are rational and influenced by evidence.  You must not work with the public much. -- Trilby
----
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2012-11-27 04:24:10

lspci

ewaller wrote:

Pulse depends on Alsa.
Same with Skype.

I don't use either of those programs.  Have a look at https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pulse

Thanks, I'll take a look at the wiki page.  smile

#4 2012-11-27 04:26:32

lspci

lspci wrote:
ewaller wrote:

Pulse depends on Alsa.
Same with Skype.

Thanks, I'll take a look at the wiki page.  smile

I already read that page, didn't find anything that looked like it would be helpful.  I think that my problem is a problem with Alsa getting mad with Pulseaudio.  *sigh*

#5 2012-11-27 04:29:09

ewaller
Administrator

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
You assume people are rational and influenced by evidence.  You must not work with the public much. -- Trilby
----
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Board footer