You are not logged in.

#1 2012-11-27 19:41:10

nbtrap

New filesystem upgrade replaces fstab

The latest upgrade to filesystem 2012.11-1 installs /etc/fstab.pacnew with no entries. I'm a little bit confused as to why. What am I supposed to do before overwriting my /etc/fstab with it?

#2 2012-11-27 20:12:24

alphaniner

Re: New filesystem upgrade replaces fstab

See systemd.mount(5).

tl;dr - systemd can use unit files rather than fstab for mounting stuff during boot.

But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist.
-Lysander Spooner

#3 2012-11-27 20:16:03

Pierre
Developer
Website

Well, everything that used to be mounted via fstab and needed by the system is mounted by the init system these days. This is not realted to systemd; initscripts do the same. This means the default stab is empty. You may remove /tmp, devpts or any other no longer needed entries from your fstab.

#4 2012-11-27 20:16:47

Scimmia
Fellow

Don't overwrite your current fstab with it. The fstab.pacnew is the new default fstab, the previous fstab was the same thing but with a tmpfs mounted on /tmp. Now that systemd does that for you, it's not needed in fstab. You still need all of the entries you set up previously.

#5 2012-11-27 20:27:33

nbtrap

alphaniner wrote:

See systemd.mount(5).

tl;dr - systemd can use unit files rather than fstab for mounting stuff during boot.

I understand what systemd can do, but does this happen automatically or require manual configuration?

#6 2012-11-27 20:34:31

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Moving to Pacman & Package Upgrades...

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#7 2012-11-27 20:35:18

mamamia88

Scimmia wrote:

Don't overwrite your current fstab with it. The fstab.pacnew is the new default fstab, the previous fstab was the same thing but with a tmpfs mounted on /tmp. Now that systemd does that for you, it's not needed in fstab. You still need all of the entries you set up previously.

so just delete the tmpfs entry and you are good to go?  still got my / /var and /home as well as swap entries though. using ssd btw

#8 2012-11-27 21:02:01

Scimmia
Fellow

mamamia88 wrote:
Scimmia wrote:

so just delete the tmpfs entry and you are good to go?  still got my / /var and /home as well as swap entries though. using ssd btw

Yep, deleting that entry and leave the others you mentioned and you're good to go. Those were either added by you manually or in the initial system setup.

#9 2012-11-27 21:32:38

mamamia88

Scimmia wrote:
mamamia88 wrote:
Scimmia wrote:

Yep, deleting that entry and leave the others you mentioned and you're good to go. Those were either added by you manually or in the initial system setup.

cool thanks.   was wondering whey they would create a pacnew file that was basically the same as my original but without all the entries.

#10 2012-11-27 21:34:59

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

mamamia88 wrote:

was wondering whey they would create a pacnew file that was basically the same as my original but without all the entries.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pa … save_Files

A .pacnew file may be created during a package upgrade (pacman -Syu, pacman -Su or pacman -U) to avoid overwriting a file which already exists and was previously modified by the user.

#11 2012-11-27 21:40:03

nbtrap

Scimmia wrote:

What would if I didn't copy any of my previous entries? Would my drives just not mount?

#12 2012-11-27 21:46:37

mamamia88

jasonwryan wrote:
mamamia88 wrote:

was wondering whey they would create a pacnew file that was basically the same as my original but without all the entries.

A .pacnew file may be created during a package upgrade (pacman -Syu, pacman -Su or pacman -U) to avoid overwriting a file which already exists and was previously modified by the user.

i read that.  i just wasn't sure what needed to be done in this particular case.   i understand why it's done.  so you can compare and merge changes before replacing the file.   but, it would be nice if they gave more info then .pacnew was created like what needs to be modified. so i can assume from now on that if a fstab .pacnew is generated it's because i manually modified it?  so if it's working i can ignore that file?  entries in fstab that don't need to be there are better than missing entries right?

Last edited by mamamia88 (2012-11-27 21:50:47)

#13 2012-11-27 21:52:40

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

mamamia88 wrote:
jasonwryan wrote:
mamamia88 wrote:

i read that.  i just wasn't sure what needed to be done in this particular case.   i understand why it's done.  so you can compare and merge changes before replacing the file.   but, it would be nice if they gave more info then .pacnew was created like what needs to be modified.

There isn't that much more information to give. /etc/fstab is blank because, when you first install Arch, you either add your own entries or use genfstab to do it for you. So, when the filesystem package is updated, the new fstab is as it would be if your first installed Arch. Any changes/modifications--as always in Arch--are the responsibility of the user.

#14 2012-11-27 22:08:43

mamamia88

jasonwryan wrote:
mamamia88 wrote:

i read that.  i just wasn't sure what needed to be done in this particular case.   i understand why it's done.  so you can compare and merge changes before replacing the file.   but, it would be nice if they gave more info then .pacnew was created like what needs to be modified.

There isn't that much more information to give. /etc/fstab is blank because, when you first install Arch, you either add your own entries or use genfstab to do it for you. So, when the filesystem package is updated, the new fstab is as it would be if your first installed Arch. Any changes/modifications--as always in Arch--are the responsibility of the user.

but the system will read the original file until you delete it and rename the .pacnew file correct?  So since nothing has changed in my partitioning scheme there is no reason to edit my fstab besides removing redundant info correct?   Just want to know for the future.

#15 2012-11-27 22:24:12

tomegun
Developer

mamamia88 wrote:

but the system will read the original file until you delete it and rename the .pacnew file correct?  So since nothing has changed in my partitioning scheme there is no reason to edit my fstab besides removing redundant info correct?   Just want to know for the future.

Correct.

#16 2012-11-27 23:57:36

flipper T

Following this update I am now getting a message on shutdown, something like

failed to unmount 1 filesystem...

(sorry, do not know how to view this log.)

Other than that, everything seems to be ok. Shutdown and startup both fine.

Is this anything to worry about?

Last edited by flipper T (2012-11-28 01:16:06)

If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the [censored] car. -The Wolf

#17 2012-11-28 00:07:14

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#18 2012-11-28 00:13:24

flipper T

Yes & thanks & sorry.

Will copy & paste to there.

Last edited by flipper T (2012-11-28 00:13:44)

If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the [censored] car. -The Wolf

#19 2012-11-28 02:30:08

einhard

What about situation where user don't want to use tmpfs with /tmp?

#20 2012-11-28 02:40:27

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Closing, since its basically a dup.

Binned - for deletion.

EDIT: My bad - misread the last 3 posts as the entire thread. Moved to Pacman & Package Upgrade Issues from the Dustbin.

Last edited by ngoonee (2012-11-28 02:46:24)

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#21 2012-11-28 08:23:50

briest

einhard wrote:

But Lenhart Poettering says you SHOULD want it! Everybody wants to waste some RAM, to keep disk nice and unused wink

See this thread.

#22 2012-11-28 08:27:39

rene

Also arrived here upon trying to decide if I wanted the /tmp entry still present...

pacman has this nifty "pacman -Qc" feature to show a package changelog. Especially for very archlinux-specific packages such as "filesystem" it would be sort of good to actually also have a changelog that quickly describes these sorts of small changes. The user then has a "one-stop shop" place to look for such information.

#23 2012-11-28 12:07:00

einhard

briest wrote:
einhard wrote:

But Lenhart Poettering says you SHOULD want it! Everybody wants to waste some RAM, to keep disk nice and unused wink

See this thread.

Well it's partially true, unused RAM is a wasted RAM but situation when something fails because /tmp runs out of space is unacceptable.

Nevertheless I found solution in the thread you've linked. Thanks

systemctl mask tmp.mount

#24 2012-11-28 14:22:37

Jristz

I think that if I want a /tmp for a specific size (default 900Mb and I want 1024mb) I need maintain the /tmp entrace on fstab intact (plus the size=1G), right?

Well, I suppose that this is somekind of signature, no?

#25 2012-11-28 14:46:18

buri

Jristz wrote:

I think that if I want a /tmp for a specific size (default 900Mb and I want 1024mb) I need maintain the /tmp entrace on fstab intact (plus the size=1G), right?

Yes or in tmp.mount file is section "Options".

Board footer