You are not logged in.

#1 2012-11-28 04:54:59

rnarch

clex file manager of AUR not installing properly

I used yourt to install 'clex' file manager from AUR. It installed without any problem but on running the command 'clex' there was a message that 'cfg-clex' need to be run first. I did that and again ran clex. Not only did it crash but after termination, garbage characters continued to appear on the command prompt of the terminal. It was very scary, reminiscent of computer viruses, and very unusual for otherwise very smooth and stable archlinux system.  On closing the terminal, uninstalling clex and rebooting, the system seems to be working all right.  Is there a problem with the package or there is some problem in my setup/installation procedure?

Last edited by rnarch (2012-11-28 04:56:00)

#2 2012-11-28 05:02:21

WonderWoofy

Re: clex file manager of AUR not installing properly

rnarch wrote:

Is there a problem with the package or there is some problem in my setup/installation procedure?

Come on now... hwo can you ask a question like this without providing any kind of real information.  No logs, no error output, no nothing... no real answer.

#3 2012-11-28 05:02:40

jwbirdsong

While i have NO DESIRE to build/install clex  i DO have a tip for the future.  in your scrambled/garbage terminal just hit enter then type 'reset'; will reset the term to default regardless of whether YOU can read the chars "reset" or not.
They may well appear as 'garbage'

PLEASE read and try to FIX/FILE BUGS instead of assuming other have/will.

#4 2012-11-28 05:12:10

rnarch

There was only garbage and there were no sensible errors/logs etc for me to copy here. I do not intend to try it again and thought this information might be useful to someone thinking of trying out this file manager.

#5 2012-11-28 05:51:52

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

The information is only useful if the person who can do something about it, in this case the mainatainer, finds out about it.

Posting here isn't likely to acheive that. If you want to contribute to the community, the least you could do would be leave a note on the AUR page.

Moving to AUR issues

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#6 2012-11-28 07:17:57

tomk
Forum Fellow

FYI it builds and works fine here, so the only conclusion is that it was some issue with your system.

#7 2012-11-28 12:40:13

rnarch

tomk wrote:

FYI it builds and works fine here, so the only conclusion is that it was some issue with your system.

I picked up courage and installed again but with same results. Here is the screenshot:
http://i.imgur.com/GB9Bq.png
The command 'clex' produces output of some numbers and lib file names as shown in the screenshot.  The program would then terminate  with 'Aborted'. After this, any clicking of left or right mouse buttons or turning of the mouse wheel would produce garbage at the command prompt. Typing reset (as suggested by jwbirdsong above) would restore the screen to normal state with no further problem with mouse etc. The whole thing is reproducible and seems harmless (can be used for entertainment of kids if not corrected!).  Any help to correct this problem will be appreciated. I could not find any (relevant) links to this problem on searching forum, wiki or google.

Last edited by rnarch (2012-11-28 12:41:29)

#8 2012-11-28 12:48:26

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

I get the same problem.  To clean up the output use

clex > log 2>&1

After running this command (and pressing enter as it waits for input) you will have the intended display in the log file (see `cat log`).  But you also get the much more readable backtrace output on the screen.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

Board footer