You are not logged in.

#1 2012-11-27 19:02:24

T.J.S.

[SOLVED]Grain/noise in videos.

Ok, I've tried changing some settings in VLC, I tried with SMPlayer the same thing, but I still get grainy video playback. To make it more clear to you, imagine that the pixels of the image get illuminated/saturated with high frequency, some kind of a flicker effect (which by the way tried to change the relevant setting in VLC to no avail), causing the images in playback to be "unsmooth" in a way.
This phenomenon is most prevalent in high-quality videos (720p/1080p), only because the lower-quality ones "muffle" this with their, well, lower quality.

Has anyone experienced such an issue? I'm coming from Windows, and that's where my observeration came from - in Windows the videos didn't seem to have any noise.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by T.J.S. (2012-11-29 04:25:17)

#2 2012-11-27 19:54:59

DSpider

Re: [SOLVED]Grain/noise in videos.

PC specs?

"How to Succeed with Linux"

I have made a personal commitment not to reply in topics that start with a lowercase letter. Proper grammar and punctuation is a sign of respect, and if you do not show any, you will NOT receive any help (at least not from me).

#3 2012-11-27 19:59:57

T.J.S.

#4 2012-11-27 22:36:57

z0id

I see you have a Nvidia card. Decoding videos with VDPAU adds some noise (I think). I recall XBMC has a slider regarding VDPAU noise; you can experiment with that.

Last edited by z0id (2012-11-27 22:38:44)

/usr/bin/drinking

#5 2012-11-28 08:28:22

T.J.S.

Thanks, it does help a little with the "noise" slider, but I'm not 100% satisfied. I feel that it creates some blurriness in edges, but I guess that's the trade-off.
At least is there some other player or plugin for vlc or mplayer that has this feature, so as not to have to launch such a "bloated" application like xbmc?

#6 2012-11-28 08:36:51

ezzetabi

man mplayer

No kidding, there a section for vdpau (including an option denoise) the option you seek might be there.

#7 2012-11-28 08:43:01

DSpider

Some movies have a grain effect (The Matrix and 300 come to mind). It's a cinematic effect, added by the production studio. So try it with other videos. Try it with 1080p anime, which should be very crisp. If you still see grain, then maybe you enabled a filter and forgot about it.

T.J.S. wrote:

To make it more clear to you, imagine that the pixels of the image get illuminated/saturated with high frequency, some kind of a flicker effect

Maybe post a screenshot? Though the image may look fine in an image browser.

Edit: Move/rename or delete "~/.config/vlc" and see if it helps.

Last edited by DSpider (2012-11-28 08:45:38)

"How to Succeed with Linux"

I have made a personal commitment not to reply in topics that start with a lowercase letter. Proper grammar and punctuation is a sign of respect, and if you do not show any, you will NOT receive any help (at least not from me).

#8 2012-11-28 13:03:12

T.J.S.

ezzetabi wrote:
man mplayer

No kidding, there a section for vdpau (including an option denoise) the option you seek might be there.

You're right, it is there, thanks for pointing it to me. smile
Still, instead of the noise I get blurriness if I enable the denoise filter. The best compromise is to set it to 0.5, but I still see some noise and some blurriness.

@dspyder
The default vlc settings didn't make any difference unfortunately. I liked the idea though, 'cause I had been messing with the settings a lot and didn't remember what were the defaults. tongue
As for the grain effect in some films, yes, some have that effect, but I myself notice it in 720p TV rips, and generally all videos in that resolution and above.
I'll try it with 1080p anime and tell you my impressions.

#9 2012-11-29 04:23:23

T.J.S.

I think I'll mark the topic as solved. I did a comparison with the same videos in Win7 (it was a long time since I booted in them) and although the noise wasn't as much noticable as in Arch, it was still there. I think it has to do with the fact that I have lower brightness settings in Win7 as in Arch, where the screen is in full (backlight) brightness. So it's got to do firstly with the videos themselves (even the 1080p aren't lossless), and secondly with some inherent characteristic of my screen.

Thanks a lot for your help guys, and sorry for not doing a more thorough test before I posted. hmm

Board footer