You are not logged in.

#1 2005-10-24 12:48:51

Bralkein

Increasing /tmp size

I've had a few problems recently with the size of my /tmp folder. They are not serious problems, and I can work around them, but I wondered if there was a way to make it bigger. As I understand it, the tmpfs is created in memory, and its default limit is set to half of the RAM. I don't want to increase this limit though, because I am worried that it will get full up and I won't have any RAM left to be used for normal purposes. I have a spare 30GB HDD, and the only thing it has on it is the swap partition. It would be cool if I could just make a 2GB partition on there to mount on the /tmp folder, so I don't ever have this problem again.

Does anybody know if this is adviseable or even possible, and if I did this, would I have to put a routine in my shutdown scripts to clean out the partition, or anything like that? Are there security concerns arising from this approach? Anything else I need to know?

Cheers.

#2 2005-10-24 13:04:59

lucke

Re: Increasing /tmp size

Don't let it bother you. If you want to get rid of tmpfs, just comment one line concering it in /etc/fstab and reboot (it's doable without rebooting, but tricky). Initscripts already take care of cleaning /tmp (I only wonder, why only on boot, not shutdown? - paranoid people could feel insecure :-P) If you want more space for /tmp than your root partition provides, go ahead and mount it somewhere else, but I'd say it's only necessary when your root partition is actually small.

#3 2005-10-24 13:29:55

Bralkein

Re: Increasing /tmp size

Okay, thanks very much.

Board footer