You are not logged in.

#1 2012-12-02 22:12:53

Primoz

What to use for best Grafical boot

After I made a change to systemd, I've decided that I want a better looking boot process.
With initscripts, I kind of like the way how vanilla Arch boot process looked, but with systemd I just don't like the way it looks.
I'm also using legacy GRUB and I'm leaning towards changing it for something else (something that will look better)
So post your set-up, screenshots recommendations etc. ITT.

What I specifically desire:
A bootloader that stays in the back, Arch is my only OS on the computer and only in few cases do I actually use GRUB legacy.
Then a graphical boot, that doesn't add much to boot time.
Preferably one that can use a theme that is similar to some KDM theme (I'm the only user and this a desktop computer, so I have auto log-in enabled), so that transition from start-up to KDE will be as unified as possible.

Thanks for your recommendations!

Arch x86_64 ATI AMD APU KDE frameworks 5
---------------------------------
Whatever I do, I always end up with something horribly mis-configured.

#2 2012-12-02 22:55:40

progandy

Re: What to use for best Grafical boot

A bootloader that stays in the back, Arch is my only OS on the computer and only in few cases do I actually use GRUB legacy.

What about a simple syslinux setup?

Then a graphical boot, that doesn't add much to boot time.

plymouth works well with systemd, the performance is acceptable, but I never measured the necessary time. Just don't forget to use early KMS to load the graphics driver.

| alias CUTF='LANG=en_XX.UTF-8@POSIX ' |

#3 2012-12-02 23:22:41

Primoz

Re: What to use for best Grafical boot

progandy wrote:

What about a simple syslinux setup?

I was already leaning towards syslinux, so yeah I'll use that.

progandy wrote:

plymouth works well with systemd, the performance is acceptable, but I never measured the necessary time. Just don't forget to use early KMS to load the graphics driver.

I used plymouth long ago, I just hope it works better than it did back then. But I'm pretty sure it works better.

Arch x86_64 ATI AMD APU KDE frameworks 5
---------------------------------
Whatever I do, I always end up with something horribly mis-configured.

Board footer