You are not logged in.

#1 2012-12-02 17:28:19

trixrabbit

wpa_supplicant and netcfg

Hi, I just reinstalled Archlinux x86_64 on a new SSD I got. I was setting up the internet connection during installation and I used netcfg.
I create a file using the examples depending on what I need and place it in : /etc/network.d/
Then I use netcfg-menu to connect to the netowork.

My problem is I tried doing this again and I get  : Please install 'dialog' to use netcfg-menu

In the beginner guide, I see that you can modify wpa_supplicant to connect to internet, I was wondering if it's just another way of doing it? or are these two working together?
I read the manual on both but it didn't answer my question. I tried to configure my wpa_supplicant but it didn't work, I think because my network is hidden. Then I tried to edit the wpa_supplicant file for hidden network using ssid=1 (if i remember well, I used what was in the man) and it didn't work.

Last edited by trixrabbit (2012-12-02 17:34:41)

#2 2012-12-02 17:49:09

10PinkPanther

Re: wpa_supplicant and netcfg

Wiki says that dialog is needed in some cases.Do you see your network when you run wifi-menu?

#3 2012-12-02 19:09:27

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

trixrabbit wrote:

Then I use netcfg-menu to connect to the netowork.

My problem is I tried doing this again and I get  : Please install 'dialog' to use netcfg-menu

hmm

You are trying to use netcfg-menu.
The error message is telling you that you need to install the "dialog" package to use netcfg-menu.

Solution: install the "dialog" package (pacman -S dialog).

edit:  You can also use netcfg without the dialog package. For example, "netcfg -u <profile>", "netcfg -l". See "netcfg --help" for more options.

10PinkPanther wrote:

Wiki says that dialog is needed in some cases.Do you see your network when you run wifi-menu?

hmm

Last edited by Xyne (2012-12-02 19:12:18)

My Arch Linux StuffForum EtiquetteCommunity Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

#4 2012-12-02 22:49:54

trixrabbit

Oh i forgot to mention that pacman can't find any libraries somehow...I can't do pacman -Syyu or pacman -S dialog...I thought this was because I didn't have a proper internet connection...My internet connection was working fine yesterday during the installation, but since I rebooted and logged on root it doesn't seem to work anymore hmm

I guess I'll try to connect to my wifi without -menu

PS: and about wpa-supplicant? what is that?

#5 2012-12-02 22:54:12

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

trixrabbit wrote:

PS: and about wpa-supplicant? what is that?

$ pacman -Qi wpa_supplicant
Description    : A utility providing key negotiation for WPA wireless networks

It lets you connect to encrypted wifi networks.

My Arch Linux StuffForum EtiquetteCommunity Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

#6 2012-12-02 22:59:20

tomk
Forum Fellow

And just so you're clear - if you use netcfg, you don't have to deal with wpa_supplicant directly. You still can if you want though.

#7 2012-12-03 03:06:25

suley

I met this problem before. After the installation of Arch, I could not launch wifi-menu or netcfg to connect to network to do a PACMAN-UPDATE or install anything from pacman. After spending a long time trying to download different package, I decided to use Arch Installation CD to boot and chroot into my system to do a pacman -S dialog.

#8 2012-12-03 03:11:52

WonderWoofy

@OP, you have already gone through the trouble of making a profile, so just run that profile! 

# netcfg <your_profile_here> 

This probably constitutes hand-holding, but geez the answer has been given to you numerous times if not quite so blatantly.

#9 2012-12-03 14:01:08

trixrabbit

update on my problem :
I tried running netcfg with a profile I made based on the wireless-wep example and placed it into /etc/network.d
I get this error : WPA Authentification/Association failed, what I don't understand is that security is set to wep and not wpa...or sometimes I just get the error : no connection.
I think my next step is try to find a wire and connect wired and install iwconfig package.

PS: sometimes before my error I get Failed to connect to wpa_supplicant - wpa_ctrl_open: No such file or directory

Last edited by trixrabbit (2012-12-03 14:02:08)

#10 2012-12-07 21:42:28

trixrabbit

trixrabbit wrote:

update on my problem :
I tried running netcfg with a profile I made based on the wireless-wep example and placed it into /etc/network.d
I get this error : WPA Authentification/Association failed, what I don't understand is that security is set to wep and not wpa...or sometimes I just get the error : no connection.

PS: sometimes before my error I get Failed to connect to wpa_supplicant - wpa_ctrl_open: No such file or directory

anyone knows how to resolve this? I used the wep key example and filled with my network infos and it doesn't seem to work.
(with my internet company, they give me a modem/router that has a wep key and you can't change it unless you call them I think

#11 2012-12-07 23:58:36

Strike0

The "WPA Authentification/Association failed" error is misleading. netcfg always outputs that in case of error - also for WEP.

If you never managed to get the card connected with your router so far, you might want to try it the manual way:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wi … nual_setup
For a WEP connect there is usually only three steps necessary: 1. ip link set up wlan0, 2. iw dev wlan0 scan, 3. iwconfig wlan0 essid "MyEssid" key s:asciikey

#12 2012-12-08 00:06:07

trixrabbit

I don't have iw package installed, that'S why I was trying to find another way...was it supposed to come with base package?

#13 2012-12-08 08:11:19

Strike0

No, but it is in core. You probably can use iwlist as well for now.

#14 2012-12-08 08:24:47

trixrabbit

I can't use iwlistééé-bash : command not found.

I really don't know why the netcfg doesn't work...

#15 2012-12-08 08:42:15

Strike0

Try adding "s:" before your password. I'm not using netcfg/WEP, but for ASCII passwords, that may be expected.

#16 2012-12-08 17:01:55

trixrabbit

I did try and nothing change, I tried other examples and modififeied them and it didn't work too.
When I first installed the base package it was at my friends house on his wpa wifi and it worked, it doesn't seem to work at my house

#17 2012-12-08 23:51:28

Strike0

Apart from WEP being insecure, there are problems of some wifi-modules with WEP. It may well be that. If you can, change your router to WPA or WPA2 to test that.

#18 2012-12-09 02:36:17

trixrabbit

I have my internet with Bell because it's the only one available here and they give you a modem/router which you can't change any settings, it's pretty dumb. Like I can't connect to my rooter like you can with others..
I could go buy a wire tomorrow and try to connect it just to install iw package.

What is the differences between iw and netcfg, I find it confusing with everything you can use to connect to the internet..

#19 2012-12-09 11:27:17

Strike0

iw is the new console tool to replace iwconfig in sometime. netcfg is a set of scripts to manage network connections. But for those questions you should really read the wiki a bit more: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wi … nt_methods

If you mean with "wire" that you cant connect because you don't have a network cable at home, then yes - get one. Using iw won't make a difference though, the problem is elsewhere with your wifi-modules and wep-support probably.
Post the wifi-chipset (e.g. lspci -vn) you use.

#20 2012-12-10 22:14:38

trixrabbit

lspci | grep -i net :

Ethernet controller: Inter Corporation 82566MM Gigabit Network Connection (rev 03)
Network controller: Inter Corporation PRO/Wireless 3945ABG [Golan] Network Connection (rev 02)

It's weird because the first time I installed ArchLinux I could connect to my home network, but then I reinstalled the whole thing at my friends house to show him, network worked there but when I came home and made a new netcfg profile it didn't work.

#21 2012-12-13 18:05:26

Strike0

Next time you post output here, please (a) put it in [ code] tags (see "BBCode" helplink under the edit box) and (b) copy/paste the output into those. Re-typing is not only a hazzle but creates errors as well. Safe to assume here you are using Intel (not Inter) chips, yet it shows the point.

I asked for "lspci -vn" output, because that shows which module is used by the devices. For your wifi-card I assume it has to be the iwl3945 legacy module. It is deprecated since ,,, but if it worked once with your kernel it should do again obviously. So yes, weird. Was there much time (and thereby different kernels) to it working and your re-installation?

Maybe you want to post the re-created netcfg profile as well. Sometimes it is small things.

Also it may be interesting, if you now installed the necessary tools to connect manually (see post #11) and what the result was.

#22 2012-12-23 08:17:05

emakichi

hi there,

i came across this post when i was in the same mess you're in so i came back, here's what you need;

- boot from your installation cd
- mount all the drives as per your installation
- BEFORE arch-chroot...get your wifi up again. for me this was;
1/ systemctl stop dhcpcd.service
2/ go to /etc/networkd & remake config file based on examples/wireless-wpa (because it's gone since you were there last)
3/ netcfg yourconfigfilename (find it with netcfg -l)
4/ ping -c 3 www.google.com to check, or browse google with a networked computer for more help...?(
- now that you're networked like before arch-chroot /mnt & pacman to your heart's content!

should be fine...

Board footer