You are not logged in.

#1 2012-11-17 17:04:45

Unia
Website

[SOLVED] Removable devices do not show up anymore in Nautilus' sidebar

Hello all,

I don't know when it started occuring, but Nautilus has stopped automountinh automatically showing my removable media in the sidebar. I can manually mount my media with udisksctl perfectly fine, so the error is somewhere in Nautilus and not in permissions.

I think I have all the relevant packages installed:

local/udisks2 2.0.0-1
local/polkit 0.107-4
local/polkit-gnome 0.105-1
local/gvfs 1.14.2-1
local/nautilus 3.6.3-1

In dconf-editor, both org.gnome.desktop.media-handling.automount and org.gnome.desktop.media-handling.automount-open are set to true.

Can you help me figure this out? It worked before but last time I mounted removeable media is a couple of weeks ago.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Unia (2012-12-04 16:12:38)

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres

#2 2012-11-20 07:25:46

gesti

Re: [SOLVED] Removable devices do not show up anymore in Nautilus' sidebar

Same thing happens for me too. So if someone got a solution out there, please don't be shy to share it with us! smile

#3 2012-11-20 07:33:30

YJ Lee

Hi,

I'm using XFCE but facing the same issue with automounting. Couldn't get it to work either. Currently I'm using a workaround:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Udiskie

#4 2012-11-20 08:11:12

Unia
Website

YJ Lee wrote:

Hi,

I'm using XFCE but facing the same issue with automounting. Couldn't get it to work either. Currently I'm using a workaround:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Udiskie

Udiskie is what I used before when I didn't use Nautilus. But before going back to it I'd like to see if I can get this to work.

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres

#5 2012-11-20 15:05:43

alesko

Did your udisks2.service come up cleanly?

you can check with:

systemctl --failed

#6 2012-11-20 16:00:53

Unia
Website

alesko wrote:

Did your udisks2.service come up cleanly?

you can check with:

systemctl --failed

It does.

#7 2012-12-03 08:12:09

gesti

weirdly some things are getting mounted with Nautilus now for me, like CF cards when plugged in with usb card reader and my camcorder (got some internal memory plus sd card). But still usb pen drives won't mount automatically (of course I can mount them manually).

#8 2012-12-03 11:30:17

Unia
Website

gesti wrote:

weirdly some things are getting mounted with Nautilus now for me, like CF cards when plugged in with usb card reader and my camcorder (got some internal memory plus sd card). But still usb pen drives won't mount automatically (of course I can mount them manually).

Still nothing here. Can you check which packages got upgraded recently? And did you change anything in your setup?

#9 2012-12-03 22:13:51

Thisguy_

By automount, I assume you mean mounting on boot, login, or similar for you, not automount as in click on the drive to access it. However, if you DO mean the latter, I'm not getting the same problem.

#10 2012-12-03 23:15:32

Unia
Website

Now that you mentioned it, it's neither of both.

My Nautilus does not show any removable device when I plug one in. It just doesn't show up in the sidebar. It never actually "automatically mounted" my media before; it just showed it and I could mount it with a click on the device. Udisks2 however, is still able to mount my devices. That's why I suspect something to be wrong with Nautilus or some backend it uses.

EDIT: I have updated both the title and the first post.

Last edited by Unia (2012-12-03 23:16:57)

#11 2012-12-03 23:22:31

anonymous_user

Do other file managers see your usb device? Maybe try nautilus-git from AUR and see if it still occurs:

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/nautilus-git/

#12 2012-12-04 04:49:13

rzrscm

Having the same problem, except I don't use Nautilus.  I was using a script to detect and automount devices.  I had a symbolic link to /media in my home directory since I don't use a file manager, and I noticed that the /media folder was gone and my devices weren't automounting anymore.  This started happening after fstab and hwids was upgraded, so I assume that one of those is the culprit, but I haven't really gotten around to looking into it.

Last edited by rzrscm (2012-12-04 10:29:13)

#13 2012-12-04 07:48:03

gesti

Unia wrote:

Now that you mentioned it, it's neither of both.

My Nautilus does not show any removable device when I plug one in. It just doesn't show up in the sidebar. It never actually "automatically mounted" my media before; it just showed it and I could mount it with a click on the device. Udisks2 however, is still able to mount my devices. That's why I suspect something to be wrong with Nautilus or some backend it uses.

EDIT: I have updated both the title and the first post.

Well the thing is that, that I don't know when it started to ~work again for me and I do -Syu nearly every morning. sad

anonymous_user wrote:

Do other file managers see your usb device? Maybe try nautilus-git from AUR and see if it still occurs:

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/nautilus-git/

krusader saw everything always and was mounting in exchange of a password.

Last edited by gesti (2012-12-04 07:50:00)

#14 2012-12-04 11:40:46

Unia
Website

I just built Nautilus-git, but it's not showing anything either. I did get alot of messages about deprecated schemas though, that might be related:

warning: Schema 'org.gnome.crypto.pgp' has path '/desktop/gnome/crypto/pgp/'.  Paths starting with '/apps/', '/desktop/' or '/system/' are deprecated.
warning: Schema 'org.gnome.system.locale' has path '/system/locale/'.  Paths starting with '/apps/', '/desktop/' or '/system/' are deprecated.
warning: Schema 'org.gnome.system.proxy' has path '/system/proxy/'.  Paths starting with '/apps/', '/desktop/' or '/system/' are deprecated.
warning: Schema 'org.gnome.system.proxy.http' has path '/system/proxy/http/'.  Paths starting with '/apps/', '/desktop/' or '/system/' are deprecated.
warning: Schema 'org.gnome.system.proxy.https' has path '/system/proxy/https/'.  Paths starting with '/apps/', '/desktop/' or '/system/' are deprecated.
warning: Schema 'org.gnome.system.proxy.ftp' has path '/system/proxy/ftp/'.  Paths starting with '/apps/', '/desktop/' or '/system/' are deprecated.
warning: Schema 'org.gnome.system.proxy.socks' has path '/system/proxy/socks/'.  Paths starting with '/apps/', '/desktop/' or '/system/' are deprecated.

I will look into this and see if other filemanagers work, after I get done with my work for today. Thanks alot for all the replies everyone!

Last edited by Unia (2012-12-04 11:41:08)

#15 2012-12-04 12:10:57

10PinkPanther

I use Thunar and it's also not showing USB devices.I followed the wiki and did what it said,installed what it said but nothing.Then I tried PCmanFM but same thing.

#16 2012-12-04 15:30:49

Unia
Website

I just tried Thunar (in combination with thunar-volman, just to be  sure) and Pcmanfm, both without any result.

I'm now guessing the error isn't in Udisks2, but rather in GVFS. Just for the hell of it (when I'm out of ideas I tend to try stupid stuff tongue) I removed my ~/.gvfs directory and I found out it's not recreated. That makes me think somehow gvfsd isn't running, but I can't seem to start it manually by a command.

EDIT: Both lxtask and htop do not list anything related to GVFS, so I guess it's not running indeed.

EDIT2: I just took a look /usr/lib/gvfs and noticed I can execute them from there. I tried several, but none gave the desired result. When running /usr/lib/gvfs/gvfs-udisks2-volume-monitor, I did get this in:

┌─[jente @ lappy ~] 16:44:52 
└─■ /usr/lib/gvfs/gvfs-udisks2-volume-monitor 
### debug: emit_signal: 0xf92020
### debug: emit_signal: 0xf5e930
### debug: emit_signal: 0xf92020
### debug: emit_signal: 0xf5ed20

Although, my ~/.gvfs directory is still not recreated tongue

Last edited by Unia (2012-12-04 15:48:09)

#17 2012-12-04 15:35:18

Šaran

Ditch udisks(2) and switch to Udevil/SpaceFM. Not really a solution, but you will thank me. smile

#18 2012-12-04 15:38:08

Unia
Website

Šaran wrote:

Ditch udisks(2) and switch to Udevil/SpaceFM. Not really a solution, but you will thank me. smile

Thanks for the suggestion, but I like Nautilus big_smile

#19 2012-12-04 15:41:57

Šaran

Never mind. You tried Thunar and PcmanFM, so I thought anything is an option.

#20 2012-12-04 16:12:13

Unia
Website

Found it! I started googling on GVFS issues and came across this website:

http://superuser.com/questions/228261/h … hout-gnome

It explained I had to launch my WM (DWM) with dbus-launch. I think I did that before but when I switched to systemd I thought it wasn't necessary anymore. I guess it still is big_smile

Thanks for all the input guys! Marking solved!

#21 2012-12-04 16:18:42

Šaran

Proper way to do it would be adding following on top of .xinitrc (as in .xinitrc skel) and removing dbus-launch.

if [ -d /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d ]; then
  for f in /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/*; do
    [ -x "$f" ] && . "$f"
  done
  unset f
fi

It takes care of dbus stuff.

#22 2012-12-04 16:20:31

Unia
Website

^ Sweet! Thanks smile

#23 2012-12-04 19:16:42

Thisguy_

Out of curiosity, how did you install nautilus? Did you get it in the gnome (or gnome-extra, not sure which) package, did you makepkg it yourself, or for some odd reason, did you build it entirely on your own and write the PKGBUILD?

#24 2012-12-04 19:20:42

Unia
Website

I just got it via pacman:

pacman -S nautilus

I don't run GNOME (Shell), I use DWM.

Board footer