You are not logged in.

#1 2012-11-12 22:47:10

ampe

Flash fills up /tmp then crashes

Hi, I have a problem with flash where it will fill the /tmp folder when streaming a playlist in full screen and inevitably crash as a result of this. I usually just put on a playlist and fall asleep to it and it sucks when it crashes every 3-4 videos and I'm still awake and have to get up and reload the page and find which video I was watching etc.

Is there any solution to this that doesn't involve resizing /tmp to a ridiculous size just to outlast the gigabytes of data I stream over the night? Thanks.

Last edited by ampe (2012-11-12 22:48:30)

#2 2012-12-05 04:38:19

ampe

Re: Flash fills up /tmp then crashes

Any advice? I know it's a long shot and there is only so much we can do with proprietary software but I assume a lot of people watch streams and must have come across this issue and come up with a workaround as always. My /tmp only has 2.1GB of space and that gets filled easily from a stream, the only thing I can think of is resizing it or merging it with a bigger partition and while it's not out of the question I'd prefer a more reasonable solution. Google turns up nothing as does the wiki.

#3 2012-12-05 05:03:00

Jasa
Banned

It would go into category what i was thinking from side of OpenGL crashing, /tmp folder used as side of ram and persons having laptop/desktop with onboard graphics along some shared video memory filling it to spot where there is not room or gets perhaps corrupted somehow.

Assuming you have pure systemd, it does have /usr/lib/systemd/system/tmp.mount file on boot to create tmpfs (also installers for some larger might not work cause of this like Regnum Online), renaming that into ex: tmp.mount.backup makes it to be ignored, it cannot be disabled with systemctl if i remember right. Also for just in case you could add # to your /etc/fstab file to make sure there is no attempt from there either.

By that you should have your /tmp folder in slower access hard drive but having room and no conflict what could occur with some apps and perhaps that of some other related.

Quick Edit: I am just assuming it is using part of onboard memory cause of existing as it does and with limited size.

Last edited by Jasa (2012-12-05 05:04:38)

#4 2012-12-05 05:47:28

ampe

Jasa wrote:

It would go into category what i was thinking from side of OpenGL crashing, /tmp folder used as side of ram and persons having laptop/desktop with onboard graphics along some shared video memory filling it to spot where there is not room or gets perhaps corrupted somehow.

I'm not using onboard graphics and Flash is supposedly using GPU acceleration, with YouTube this is the case although with most other Flash players this isn't the case and causes strain on my CPU, it also makes Flash even more temperamental.

Jasa wrote:

Assuming you have pure systemd, it does have /usr/lib/systemd/system/tmp.mount file on boot to create tmpfs (also installers for some larger might not work cause of this like Regnum Online), renaming that into ex: tmp.mount.backup makes it to be ignored, it cannot be disabled with systemctl if i remember right. Also for just in case you could add # to your /etc/fstab file to make sure there is no attempt from there either.

By that you should have your /tmp folder in slower access hard drive but having room and no conflict what could occur with some apps and perhaps that of some other related.

Quick Edit: I am just assuming it is using part of onboard memory cause of existing as it does and with limited size.

Do you mean if I disable /tmp altogether in these locations temp files will only load into RAM and skip the HDD altogether?

#5 2012-12-05 12:57:41

tomegun
Developer

ampe wrote:
Jasa wrote:

Assuming you have pure systemd, it does have /usr/lib/systemd/system/tmp.mount file on boot to create tmpfs (also installers for some larger might not work cause of this like Regnum Online), renaming that into ex: tmp.mount.backup makes it to be ignored, it cannot be disabled with systemctl if i remember right.

Don't disable /tmp like this, it will be reverted on package upgrade. The proper way is "systemctl mask tmp.mount".

ampe wrote:
Jasa wrote:

Also for just in case you could add # to your /etc/fstab file to make sure there is no attempt from there either.

Do you mean if I disable /tmp altogether in these locations temp files will only load into RAM and skip the HDD altogether?

If you disable /tmp in the ways Jasa explained it means nothing will be mounted on /tmp so your root filesystem will be used to store whatever you put in /tmp (so almost certainly the HDD). If you want stuff to stay in RAM you should mount a tmpfs on /tmp. This is what systemd does by default, but it is too small for your use, then you might want to override it by putting an entry in /etc/fstab with an explicit size= option setting it to something bigger (in this case you might also want to add some extra swap so you don't risk running out of RAM).

Board footer