You are not logged in.

#1 2012-12-04 14:13:56

Tectu

cfdisk dosen't find harddrive

Hello folks,

I have an older computer here (Dualcore, 3GB RAM, 250GB HDD, intel graphics) on which I used to run arch fine for a couple of months. But now, I cannot boot it anymore. Grub seems not to be able to find the UUID.
Then I tried to reinstall the system with the August 2012 installation media. Somehow, cfdisk dosen't find any harddrive at all!

I really don't know where the problem is. The windows xp on the same drive boots without any problems. I just tried to install an ubuntu and it works without any problems. I can also boot it after installation.

Does anyone have any idea to this issue?
If any further informations are needed, let me know.

Thanks in advance,

~ Tectu

#2 2012-12-04 14:48:22

xpixelz
Website

Re: cfdisk dosen't find harddrive

I think "Grub seems not to be able to find the UUID" is the key.

Once on grub menu press "e" to edit boot options,
find "root=UUID=XXXXX" and replace it with "root=/dev/sdx" (ie.: /dev/sda) and boot
check your /etc/fstab and reinstall your grub

#3 2012-12-04 15:10:55

Tectu

Thanks for your reply, xpixelz.

Sadly I cannot try this out anymore since I overwrote the partition with ubuntu. I can only act inside the installation live-media now.

~ Tectu

#4 2012-12-04 15:46:59

DeadDingo

Is your BIOS recognizing the hard drive?

In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion.

#5 2012-12-04 17:51:37

TheWretched

It sounds like you have wiped the drive and put ubuntu on it? is that right?  If so the Bios must see the hard drive.

Are you directing cfdisk to it appropriately? has the designation of your hard disk been changed by the bios possibly?  view the disks first and see what is attached to your system, fdisk -l.

For a problem to pop up out of the blue I would hazard a guess that perhaps your bios battery is dead, your bios reset, and did something silly, mind you this still shouldn't change what arch sees as /dev/sd(x y z)

Still, check this and find out, then figure out why your hard drive is no longer visible or no longer where it should be.  The installation media will allow you to do all of this.  I recall having boot problems with arch in the past where the solution was to boot from the install media, mount your system, chroot, resync linux, and remake the initramfs, mkinitcpio -p.  Though that was admittedly quite a while back and I haven't seen that happen in ages.

Last edited by TheWretched (2012-12-04 17:57:46)

#6 2012-12-05 11:39:03

Tectu

It is correctly that I wiped the arch installation with didn't boot anymore and installed Ubuntu on it wich works just fine.
The BIOS does list the harddrive correctly. I am also able to boot the Windows and the Ubuntu on it. Therefore this cannot be any hardware or BIOS issue.

When I do an lsblk in the live media of arch, it does just list the CD rom, no harddrive at all. There's also no /dev/sdX entry when I do an ls /dev

Any ideas?

~ Tectu

Last edited by Tectu (2012-12-05 11:39:39)

#7 2012-12-05 11:51:31

falconindy
Developer
Website

Would be helpful to look at dmesg. There's likely a relevant error on the bus or block layer.

Board footer