You are not logged in.

#51 2012-12-05 23:44:38

gordoleon

Re: dbus-core removal [Solved]

Thanks people, adding "dbus-launch --exit-with-session" to my .xinitrc did the magic with the automounting issue.

@Solid if everything else wont work, why not try moving/restoring your files from a livecd? dont overcomplicate the matter

#52 2012-12-05 23:47:19

s0lid7

@ gordoleon Im not really sure how to do that.

@ root i edited my post correct, im gonna try now to fix things according to your posts.

Do a pacman -Syu to your brain regularly

#53 2012-12-05 23:55:01

root

Not sure if I am the right person to answer that question. As far as I know the last users/groups listed are the non standard ones and are added by certain programs. F.e. in my case there is also privoxy and ntp among others.
What I meant to say is that you should pay attention if a given program does not work correctly since this update it might be lacking its user/group. And any of these programs may not have, yet, drawn your attention on this as they most likely are not as basic to the setup as polkit is.

As far as I can tell I really recommend vimdiff. I use it together with yaourt (yaourt -C) to find .pacnew files, among others and edit them. These are some of the basis commands I referred to: Vimdiff Tutorial

\(o_X)/
                        'Cause I wanna be an Archy - An Archy in the UK // Sex Pistols

#54 2012-12-06 00:01:51

teateawhy
Website

A question about /etc/shadow.pacnew still needs to be answered. Do we need to change the dbus line here:
New:
dbus:x:14871::::::
Old:
dbus:!:15410:0:99999:7:::

#55 2012-12-06 00:04:53

czubek
Banned

I did an sdiff -s -o output filex filex.pacnew to all four files. I kept all lines containing my username, replaced all old dbus lines with new and no problems.

Edit: While not related, I just corrected my time to take myself off of daylight savings.

Last edited by czubek (2012-12-06 00:18:39)

#56 2012-12-06 00:38:30

s0lid7

I reset password for root i added my user account again (since it was not exist any more) but at start up (im not on a silent mode so i can see) i keep getting this error:

Failed to start Recreate Volatile Files and Directories 
See 'systemctl status systemd-tmpfiles-setup.service' for details 

I still cannot login into graphical enviroment.

Also i reinstalled polkit and that solved the polkit error output.

When im user and type "su" i cant be root cause i get an authentication error typing the pass but if i type "root" instead of "su" and then the password then i am root (don't know what that means).

Last edited by s0lid7 (2012-12-06 00:58:24)

#57 2012-12-06 01:42:59

s0lid7

s0lid7 wrote:

I reset password for root i added my user account again (since it was not exist any more) but at start up (im not on a silent mode so i can see) i keep getting this error:

Failed to start Recreate Volatile Files and Directories 
See 'systemctl status systemd-tmpfiles-setup.service' for details 

I still cannot login into graphical enviroment.

Also i reinstalled polkit and that solved the polkit error output.

When im user and type "su" i cant be root cause i get an authentication error typing the pass but if i type "root" instead of "su" and then the password then i am root (don't know what that means).

First error is something about deluge user doesn't exists so i think this isn't the issue. The "su" problem is gone now, not sure how i fixed it.

I still can't login, just after the nvidia logo i get a black screen with a blinking cursor at down right corner instead of gdm login screen.

Last edited by s0lid7 (2012-12-06 01:43:58)

#58 2012-12-06 01:49:59

czubek
Banned

@solid. Since I have done this in the past I can say with some reasonable certainty that there are lines in /etc/group that make reference to your user name. These are entries you created when establishing yourself as a user on the computer. If they are not in the new group file then you have removed critical aspects of your identity. Can you retrieve the old files and reinsert them into /etc? Save the ones there now as *.pacnew and do a diff comparison.

#59 2012-12-06 02:11:19

s0lid7

I made it to the gdm login screen, although i'm not sure how, it seems after 1-2 reboots it just came up. My user wasn't exist so i loged in as root and i replaced the old files to /etc. I renamed the new ones again as .pacnew and have them all now at /etc as they were after the update.

Everything seems ok but i'm not sure what i have to do with these 4 files.

Last edited by s0lid7 (2012-12-06 02:11:38)

#60 2012-12-06 02:22:39

czubek
Banned

@solid. You need to merge them, but you need to do so properly. I am the furthest thing from an expert on Arch. But the way I learned was to leafpad each file side by side and compare them. The old files typically contained more lines of data that included my user name. I concluded that those must survive the merger to keep my settings intact and so I have done that. There is a wiki on *.pacnew files and their maintenance that is recommended reading. That wiki suggests several ways to merge files. I chose sdiff because it was already installed and was simple to use. Google it. There is a non-Arch wiki available that will help you. Again, I am no expert and seeming success is most likely pure dumb luck. I've been through a few *.pacnew iterations and you are more than likely to receive little to no help in resolving them.

#61 2012-12-06 02:41:36

s0lid7

Old files has more lines but new one has 1-2 lines that the old one hasn't, is it safe to just add those lines from new file to old one?

#62 2012-12-06 03:11:49

mamamia88

omeringen wrote:
(1/1) removing dbus-core                                                                         [---------------------------------------------------------] 100%
userdel: user dbus is currently used by process 318
groupdel: cannot remove the primary group of user 'dbus'
error: command failed to execute correctly
(1/3) upgrading filesystem                                                                       [---------------------------------------------------------] 100%
warning: /etc/group installed as /etc/group.pacnew
warning: /etc/passwd installed as /etc/passwd.pacnew
warning: /etc/gshadow installed as /etc/gshadow.pacnew
warning: /etc/shadow installed as /etc/shadow.pacnew
(2/3) upgrading dbus                                                                             [---------------------------------------------------------] 100%
New optional dependencies for dbus
    libx11: dbus-launch support
(3/3) upgrading hwids                                                                            [---------------------------------------------------------] 100%

Anything about the error on (1/1) ?

so is only difference on these pacnew files is that they don't need the dbus entries?

#63 2012-12-06 03:15:19

cfr

Read the files and you will find that the *new* versions *also* contain dbus entries. Did you even look at their contents before asking this?

CLI Paste | How To Ask Questions

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

#64 2012-12-06 03:26:16

mamamia88

cfr wrote:

Read the files and you will find that the *new* versions *also* contain dbus entries. Did you even look at their contents before asking this?

a while ago but i deleted them.  was just curious what the difference is.  everything seems to be working fine i'm just wondering if there is anything that i should edit in these files or if i should just leave well enough alone. tried to download the filesystem package and extract it to see if it contained the files but i can't extract it.

#65 2012-12-06 04:24:56

root

I am not sure about this but I think it might come in handy for those that accidentally replaced their old files with the pacnew ones, especially in terms of knowing what user/groups they might be missing.

For the 4 .pacnew files one has to bear in mind that besides their counterparts in /etc there are also their 'cousins', that is, those with the same name but ending in a hyphen. I just checked and they include most if not all of the previous settings the original files had (the only 'extra' content I have noticed was, at least in my case, one to git in the 'cousins').
Thus one can do a comparison f.e. using sdiff and know what info was lost when erroneously replacing them and needs to be fixed in the new files.

I hope it helps.

\(o_X)/
                        'Cause I wanna be an Archy - An Archy in the UK // Sex Pistols

#66 2012-12-06 05:50:54

heman
Banned

This is my old dbus entry in passwd after update

dbus:x:81:81:System message bus:/:/bin/false

I removed dbus-launch from .xinitrc as per openbox wiki page so I start openbox with

exec openbox-session

Have had problems with automounting [pcmanfm] for a while now, tried polkit fixes I could find nothing works.

Why was no warning given on front page about this update?

Last edited by heman (2012-12-06 05:53:46)

#67 2012-12-06 06:10:02

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

heman wrote:

Because if there was a warning posted to the front page for every package upgrade that required you to stop, think, diff your .pacnews and make a considered decision, then the homepage would like MySpace circa 2005...

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#68 2012-12-06 06:12:12

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

jasonwryan wrote:
heman wrote:

Because if there was a warning posted to the front page for every package upgrade that required you to stop, think, diff your .pacnews and make a considered decision, then the homepage would look like MySpace circa 2005...

Fixed that for ya.

Besides, the problem wasn't reported by any [testing] users, hence there could not have been any warning.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#69 2012-12-06 06:33:06

heman
Banned

@jasonwryan  After searching forums I found this three page thread and tried to simply check if others had the same issue. I stand corrected.

#70 2012-12-06 09:50:25

s0lid7

I thought about it to be informed from arch's home page but since there was a warning in pacman's output i'm not sure if this was neccessary furthermore as ngoonee said there was no reports from testing users. Seems that everything is working for me after the update without making any change but it is not so hard to see differnces between those 4 .pacnew files and the old ones to make changes needed or wait to see here what all this was about.

As i said for me everything is fine and even automounting, with which i read some people had problems ,is working propertly.

A few hours ago there was a newer update for dbus 1.6.8-6, don't really know if it was related though.

Last edited by s0lid7 (2012-12-06 09:51:28)

#71 2012-12-06 10:24:09

tomegun
Developer

I pushed 1.6.8-6 adding back the xinitrc.d/30-dbus file, as removing it caused more problems than anticipated.

#72 2012-12-06 11:17:19

Antunes

Can confirm that automounting works again after upgrading to 1.6.8-6 and rebooting. Thanks for all your help.

Last edited by Antunes (2012-12-06 11:27:18)

#73 2012-12-06 11:50:48

czubek
Banned

s0lid7 wrote:

Old files has more lines but new one has 1-2 lines that the old one hasn't, is it safe to just add those lines from new file to old one?

I routinely incorporate the new lines in the new files.Be advised this choice is based on an assumption by me that pacman included them for a reason and they are part of the intended update.

For instance the revised line indicating a dbus setting. I must assume that keeping the old line in will be much less dangerous and/or problematic than neglecting to include the new line. In all likelyhood the old line will be ignored but something will be looking for the new line.

#74 2012-12-06 11:54:43

heman
Banned

I totally understand errors shown in pacman output are all you really need, simply wanted to check errors I had. Will wait for dbus sync here. As for automounting it stopped working for me weeks ago [pcmanfm]. Tried everything I could find in wiki [polkit rules], recently removed dbus-launch from .xinitrc as its no longer in exec line for Openbox.

#75 2012-12-06 23:00:44

cfr

czubek wrote:
s0lid7 wrote:

I routinely incorporate the new lines in the new files.Be advised this choice is based on an assumption by me that pacman included them for a reason and they are part of the intended update.

For instance the revised line indicating a dbus setting. I must assume that keeping the old line in will be much less dangerous and/or problematic than neglecting to include the new line. In all likelyhood the old line will be ignored but something will be looking for the new line.

I'm by no means certain but I don't think keeping the old dbus entries *and* adding the new ones would be a good idea since you will then have conflicting definitions for the dbus user/group's home/shell/etc.

CLI Paste | How To Ask Questions

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

Board footer