You are not logged in.

#1 2012-12-05 19:16:41

Swashy

[SOLVE]Xfce4 Can't find a running instance of the Panel and runs Kiosk

I'm so confused and I feel crazy since I'm apparently the only one having this problem.

I installed xfce4 and instantly started getting this problem everytime I log in. I'm blasted with multiple messages about how theres no running panel and that changes can't be made in kiosk mode.

So clearly the solution must be simple, so I ask:

~What is Kiosk mode and how do I make my panel *not* aurtomatically run in kiosk mode?
~Where is the current Xfce4-panel configuration file housed and where do I move it for regular autostart?

Only other thread I found on this: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=139536

Heres the Doc page for Kiosk mode but I hate to say nothing on there makes sense: http://wiki.xfce.org/howto/kiosk_mode
For example, "${sysconfdir}/xdg/xfce4/kiosk/kioskrc" is not a file path, as the page says. How the hell do I modify this? What kind of path is "${sysconfdir}"?

This page shows the option for saying who can modify the panel, which may be my solution, but I have no idea where that file is. I don't see any similar paths or kiosk paths in /etc.

My apologies for my nubishness, I'm still only beginning my eventual path to proficiency in Linux, and this is highly frustrating to me...

Last edited by Swashy (2012-12-06 04:51:31)

#2 2012-12-05 19:21:42

alphaniner

Re: [SOLVE]Xfce4 Can't find a running instance of the Panel and runs Kiosk

Why did you start a new thread when you knew there was already an active one on the issue?  And why didn't you mention on that other thread that you're having the same problem, instead of posting a link to a comic?

hmm

But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist.
-Lysander Spooner

#3 2012-12-05 19:35:43

Swashy

Its not active, it was posted back in April..

Aaaand I didn't even think about the fact that posting in it pushes it back to the main page. Whoops. Is that against the rules?

Last edited by Swashy (2012-12-05 19:37:04)

#4 2012-12-05 19:38:54

alphaniner

LOL, yeah we both f***ed up a bit.

But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist.
-Lysander Spooner

#5 2012-12-06 04:52:43

Swashy

Per your other post in the other thread(https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 8#p1202328), deleting the sessions in ~/.config/session/xfce4-session did indeed fix it! I I don't exactly know *why* it fixed it, but I guess I'll assume it was a "corrupted" session, despite the fact that it happened from when I first installed xfce4...

Thanks!

Last edited by Swashy (2012-12-06 04:55:25)

Board footer