You are not logged in.

#1 2012-12-06 12:56:52

Lusher

[Solved] Hauppauge HVR-4000, sasc-ng and mythtv - not working?

Hi,

after having failed to make these three work together in *buntu since 2.6.38, I thought I'd give Archlinux a shot. I love the principle of yaourt and pacman, but I have problems seeing if someone have actually done this or not. And what they needed to do. Patching or not, v4l-dvb fix or not...

So - has anyone had success, and if so what were the important bits? I'd be more than happy to help create a page about it if I get that far!

[Solution]
* Compiling the right version of sasc and installing in the right way, see below, to get sasc up and running.
* Keep running "femon -H -a[sasc-adapter-num]" to lock card enough for mythtv to see it. Bug desc at http://patchwork.linuxtv.org/patch/13563/.

Last edited by Lusher (2012-12-17 10:53:17)

#2 2012-12-06 14:11:13

Jasa
Banned

Re: [Solved] Hauppauge HVR-4000, sasc-ng and mythtv - not working?

Getting that far should not be an issue, gave up on Mythtv myself from past that it did work and have used mainly Vdr. For best visual experience i'd guess those of newer Xbmc releases with (perhaps) an buildin support for using Vdr/Mythtv exists without need of addons for it.

#3 2012-12-06 14:30:19

Lusher

Jasa wrote:

Getting that far should not be an issue, gave up on Mythtv myself from past that it did work and have used mainly Vdr. For best visual experience i'd guess those of newer Xbmc releases with (perhaps) an buildin support for using Vdr/Mythtv exists without need of addons for it.

Hehe, I get it. I have, as I said, failed to get HVR-4000 visible in mythtv-setup when using sasc-ng. Does not get any cardinfo. So for a couple of years it has been all about Tvheadend and XBMC frontend. But as lovely as tvheadend is to install, I miss the wife acceptancy factor of having it all in one setup, and the great scheduling mode. And being able to pause live tv.

The problem with newer XBMC releases is that they only give me half of what I want. They work great as front-ends for my windows computers, but I would love to have the myth backend running. And my last success was in the last decade. ;-)

I have gotten tvheadend up and running, and also see free channels through mplayer. So the hardware works. At least!

Last edited by Lusher (2012-12-06 14:35:42)

#4 2012-12-06 20:37:02

Jasa
Banned

Haven't tried Tvhead myself yet, as of current card is not being used and main concentration is going to have lightweight desktop environment, so even that of Xbmc is being ignored. Thing what gets in way is how Vdr plugins for simple screen has those depencies for xine-lib and having nice installation without offered vdr user, it requires modification and those of AUR package install files need some own touch itself too to have thing going as wanted.

It is those of moments where you get around pointing some possible streaming service that has an posibility to use things like oscam (assuming from quick AUR peek), but i guess even so trying to understand that of other would take its time.

Also i think i made that slight mistake there on how even those of incoming Xbmc releases did by reading when i did last check need some addon, did not go seek pages to confirm.

#5 2012-12-17 10:47:12

Lusher

Hi,

I managed to find a solution, posting for reference. Setup up sasc, use "femon -H -a[sasc-adapter-num]" to get lock in Mythtv.

HVR-4000 still needs firmware patch to work: http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/H … V-HVR-4000

Thanks to user wdirksen for the right setup for sasc, posting parts of his email here:
1) Install oscam-svn package but use the oscam.service as outlined in the forum thread.
2) Install open-sasc-ng with ver 569.7. You do this by modifying PKGBUILD to pkgver=569 pkgrel=7 and delete src and pkg directories if they already exist. Then build with makepkg --holdver! You do not have to concern yourself with the patches for later kernels etc as it will take care of it.
3) You must also install https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/sascng-linux3-patch/ as it will not work wihout it! The install is a bit weird though. You must install with pacman -Uf or it will complain about the file already existing. You can also as root manually grab the rebuilt module in the pkg directory and replace the unpatched module in /usr/lib/modules/ . . .
4) Config: I've tried to be as explanatory as possible in the 2 important provided conf files: cardclient.conf (the working config from the ubuntu system you had working should be fine)
5) I'm assuming you know how to do mythtv-setup. Important: the sasc-ng loopback modules are simply not stable when allowing 2 recordings on one transponder. Mythtv-setup assumes 2 by default. You should allow only one recording per transponder channel per tuner or you will get trouble. It works sortof with 2 recordings per transponder but unstable. In a perfect world everything would be FTA and not a problem for mythtv but with sasc-ng you really have to keep it simple.
6) use service files for mythbackend on thread and you should be OK.

With that sasc was up and running nicely with kaffeine and mplayer.
Mythtv-setup still garbled on card setup, "Could not get card info for card /dev/dvb/adapter...".
Mythtv fails to get a proper lock. This can be solved by continuously running "femon -H -a[sasc-adapter-num]".
Bug and femon solution posted at http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/10830, patch at http://patchwork.linuxtv.org/patch/13563/.

Last edited by Lusher (2012-12-17 11:59:03)

Board footer